Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Newbie needs help

Hi Guys.

Just wanted to ask the audience their opinion on my first boxing sparring session.

I've been going to a boxing gym for about a couple of months and was real keen to get into the sparring side of things. I don't want to compete I just want to spar for the sake of sparring. The classes that we do really focuses on fitness and not on technique. I've done kickboxing for 6 months prior to boxing but have been out for 2 years as I wrecked my knee and had just started gentle sparring with the kickboxing.

The trainer after me pestering him said that I could do light sparring and put me up against a dude that was about 5 inches taller than me and at least 15kgs (I'm 75kg) more. Being my first time I obviously got my butt served to me.

Now I can handle the fact that I got owned and I can handle that for a long time I'm going to get owned until I improve. What hurt was that after the three rounds he straight up told me that I wasn't ready for heavy sparring (who said I wanted to do heavy sparring?) and said nothing more. I left the ring not sure what to do next and felt real embarresed and ashamed of myself. I just went and punched the bags for a little while, ran up and down the stairs and then when I realised that was it for me I just joined back in with the class that was going.

After the class i went up to him and asked if he just states the obvious and nothing else happens and he then took me to a guy that has more experience than me but is my build and I will be sparring with him for four rounds next week.

I suppose I don't really have a specific question but is this guy not a good trainer. Surely if a beginner wants to start sparring you would be encouraged by finding out what you need to work on and develop some kind of plan rather than just say I wasn't ready. It really annoyed me and I felt like a chump.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Andy

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Newbie needs help

Quote Originally Posted by DickDangleberry View Post
    Hi Guys.

Just wanted to ask the audience their opinion on my first boxing sparring session.

I've been going to a boxing gym for about a couple of months and was real keen to get into the sparring side of things. I don't want to compete I just want to spar for the sake of sparring. The classes that we do really focuses on fitness and not on technique. I've done kickboxing for 6 months prior to boxing but have been out for 2 years as I wrecked my knee and had just started gentle sparring with the kickboxing.

The trainer after me pestering him said that I could do light sparring and put me up against a dude that was about 5 inches taller than me and at least 15kgs (I'm 75kg) more. Being my first time I obviously got my butt served to me.

Now I can handle the fact that I got owned and I can handle that for a long time I'm going to get owned until I improve. What hurt was that after the three rounds he straight up told me that I wasn't ready for heavy sparring (who said I wanted to do heavy sparring?) and said nothing more. I left the ring not sure what to do next and felt real embarresed and ashamed of myself. I just went and punched the bags for a little while, ran up and down the stairs and then when I realised that was it for me I just joined back in with the class that was going.

After the class i went up to him and asked if he just states the obvious and nothing else happens and he then took me to a guy that has more experience than me but is my build and I will be sparring with him for four rounds next week.

I suppose I don't really have a specific question but is this guy not a good trainer. Surely if a beginner wants to start sparring you would be encouraged by finding out what you need to work on and develop some kind of plan rather than just say I wasn't ready. It really annoyed me and I felt like a chump.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Andy
    Honestly? He might be a bit of knob. But then again, if maybe he thought you weren't ready for sparring, and you pestered him into it...maybe he is giving ya a lesson.

I know my coach is all about lessons, and they usually hurt. If someone is getting lazy and not working, or goofing off...guess where they are going. Into the ring to spar. I've often been the guy who he uses as the beatstick. It used to bother me quite a bit, so I made a point of talking to him about it. Was starting to get hated on for it.

But yea...different coaches work differently. On the bright side, you DID want sparring, right?
    Last edited by Youngblood; 07-31-2008 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh and also...don't sweat the embarrassment part. Everyone gets owned. I don't care who ya are. This can be a humbling sport. I do pretty well for myself, but have left the club on many occasions thinking 'geebus fuk...what the hell?'' after getting owned

It gets better if ya stick to it.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Love your name . Probably the guy will move you round without to much contact if thats so youve found yourself a good gym and coach. If you get Battered look somewhere else, Be Lucky.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

10 miles from Manchester, 6 miles from Bolton
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Guys.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Andy
    Welcum to the site man, u will get gud advise here , keep up gud work

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hello mate ..... all beginners always want to spar straight away. The trouble is that you need them to learn technique first, so that they apply proper technique and thus sparring is really technique traini9ng (ie not fighting)

If you let beginners spar too much, a) their bad habits and flws become ingrained and they will carry them forver, rather than learning proper technique first and then utlising it and b) they get beaten up, which isn;t the point of sparring.

Still, good luck - can't knock your keenness, but as with any art you need to learn your skills first so you carry them out properly and train your body to do them automatically.

Additionally, lots of people join boxing gyms for all sorts of reasons and good trainers keep them on the outskirts of the sparring for a while to see if they have the dedication to keep turning up regardless.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I'm going today and will just keep at it and get my fitness up and see if I can find someone to practice technique with & me maybe do some focus pad work. If not I'll just do my time that I've paid for and move on. At least I'll be able to take the fitness that I've acquired with me.

This is probably the first forum I've been on where nobody shoots each other down. It's weird. (stating the obvious sarcasm alert) It's like.......it's like you all have the same interest and want to help each other . I love going on Youtube or games sites and the person that posted before the person that posted is an idiot. It's hilarious.

Thanks Again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andy,

If your class focuses on fitness primarily, then you can't expect to be ready to spar with a schooled boxer, even of a similar age/weight/duration of training.
    In order to become effective you will need to get the "technical" training in.

Technique first, conditioning is a supplement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Andy,

If your class focuses on fitness primarily, then you can't expect to be ready to spar with a schooled boxer, even of a similar age/weight/duration of training.

I had a word with the guy who is going to be sparring with me tomorrow and I made it quite clear that I want to go slow and to stop me if I'm just a target for him to give me technique. He said that we would try some Cuban Sparring or something like that. Has anyone heard of it. i looked on google but it just brought up articles on cuban fighters.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Andy,

I had a word with the guy who is going to be sparring with me tomorrow and I made it quite clear that I want to go slow and to stop me if I'm just a target for him to give me technique. He said that we would try some Cuban Sparring or something like that. Has anyone heard of it. i looked on google but it just brought up articles on cuban fighters.
    He's probably referring to some light sparring or schooling.

This is a good idea as you'll be given the stimuli to defend without getting hit dangerously and you'll also be allowed to throw your own stuff too - something that you often forget when you're getting your face reconstructed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great. That means I get to keep my nose.............for now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great. That means I get to keep my nose.............for now
    Good luck dude.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Hello mate ..... all beginners always want to spar straight away. The trouble is that you need them to learn technique first, so that they apply proper technique and thus sparring is really technique traini9ng (ie not fighting)

If you let beginners spar too much, a) their bad habits and flws become ingrained and they will carry them forver, rather than learning proper technique first and then utlising it and b) they get beaten up, which isn;t the point of sparring.

Still, good luck - can't knock your keenness, but as with any art you need to learn your skills first so you carry them out properly and train your body to do them automatically.

Additionally, lots of people join boxing gyms for all sorts of reasons and good trainers keep them on the outskirts of the sparring for a while to see if they have the dedication to keep turning up regardless.
    As a beginner, that'd be the LAST thing I'd want to do. It would be what I'd dread most, until I got a lot better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey guys.

Just want to say thanks for the encouragement.

Did the sparring with the guy on Thursday and we worked up from real gentle games to light sparring. It's amazing how much effort it takes to get someone into a corner both physically and mentally (it was one of the games we played).

I've met a couple of the guys that do spar and have been giving me tips so I'll keep on working with those guys and see where it goes from there.

I just think the trainers a dick which is fine as I can learn from people that are willing to pass on there advice to people that are keen rather than some douche that doesn't want his time wasted.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just tough love, he wants you to be successful really
    Consider this a test

Thread Information