Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default punching with pinky up

Hi theyre was recently at a course where we were told to turn the jab and the right hand all the way over so that the pinky is up and the thumb down,found this strange do u agree with this ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: punching with pinky up

Quote Originally Posted by leftright View Post
    Hi theyre was recently at a course where we were told to turn the jab and the right hand all the way over so that the pinky is up and the thumb down,found this strange do u agree with this ?
    They're exageratting a little to teach you to snap your punches over

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i've heard of this, called a corkscrew, designed to open a cut by twisting. as monkey said, also helps snap. (a bit I suppose). trouble is, it's conducive to bringing your elbow up early, telegraphing your punch. you'll also tend to hit with the back of the hand. ie, pure garbage.

whoever taught you this should stick to teaching kids self esteem through his McKarate. the word "course" is all we need to hear to know what way the wind is blowing.

it's a f'in joke. run for the hills. or a legit boxing gym where they know what they're talking about, unlike this asshole who's got a black belt despite never being so much as punched in the face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash View Post
    i've heard of this, called a corkscrew, designed to open a cut by twisting. as monkey said, also helps snap. (a bit I suppose). trouble is, it's conducive to bringing your elbow up early, telegraphing your punch. you'll also tend to hit with the back of the hand. ie, pure garbage.

whoever taught you this should stick to teaching kids self esteem through his McKarate. the word "course" is all we need to hear to know what way the wind is blowing.

it's a f'in joke. run for the hills. or a legit boxing gym where they know what they're talking about, unlike this asshole who's got a black belt despite never being so much as punched in the face.
    Like I said theyre exageratting
    If you really want to cut a guy up using the corkscrew,wait until after you make contact,then twist
    Better yet skiff the jab off the outside part of the eyebrow,you want to come in with a body hook or uppercut with your other hand,because to really tear the eye up you have to skiff it and drag it,so it cuts,so your a little out of position,so you want to buy yourself the time to reset

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no seriously guys I have been involved in boxing for 30 years this was a national coach that spent a whole weekend teaching a jab and a straight right to be thrown turning all the way over so the pinky is up and thumb down like a corkscrew but every time you throw it. Walked away doubting this surely A it would hurt ur elbow B it wont have as much power but he is a national coach I no its shite but just wondered if any of u guys would do this.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't rule anything out as shit, until I know for sure and or have tried it myself. lol It does sound kinda tea cup drinking talk....but also, getting snap is in turning it over, as well as balance and proper form. Maybe there is something there. I do know that since I started working on shortening my hooks, it has improved my ability to snap and increased their effectiveness and power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

please try it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no seriously guys I have been involved in boxing for 30 years this was a national coach that spent a whole weekend teaching a jab and a straight right to be thrown turning all the way over so the pinky is up and thumb down like a corkscrew but every time you throw it. Walked away doubting this surely A it would hurt ur elbow B it wont have as much power but he is a national coach I no its shite but just wondered if any of u guys would do this.
    You hyper extend that elbow trying that shot,say good night to your jab,and your left cross and hook as well
    And thats a good way to do it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

so u agree its a shit way to throw and both punches unless it is thrown as a corkscrew but u would not throw every punch as that eh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post

Like I said theyre exageratting
    If you really want to cut a guy up using the corkscrew,wait until after you make contact,then twist
    Better yet skiff the jab off the outside part of the eyebrow,you want to come in with a body hook or uppercut with your other hand,because to really tear the eye up you have to skiff it and drag it,so it cuts,so your a little out of position,so you want to buy yourself the time to reset
    I know, and I know you know. But still, for a national coach to be advocating this, even if intended to develop a good habit, will only lead to bad. It's something a seasoned fighter should do at opportune times, as you've alluded to.

Basics will always be basics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

so u agree its a shit way to throw and both punches unless it is thrown as a corkscrew but u would not throw every punch as that eh
    it's horseshit to teach a novice anything but the proper way. all the other "stuff" comes once you've learned basics. ie, the bag of tricks comes much, much later.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it's horseshit to teach a novice anything but the proper way. all the other "stuff" comes once you've learned basics. ie, the bag of tricks comes much, much later.
    Von thats is very true and a great post to iron things out onto the level.

I notice in some of your posts over the years a dislike to any reference to any of the martial arts trying to offer anything into the boxing world.
    We will probably be on two sides of the fence here mate and thats no problem ,but isnt it in those later bag of tricks is when techniques cross over and can be used? I would back a boxer any day of the week if in a stand up two arms against two arms situation; Im with you there completly.
    But I cant discount the fact that in any fight whether its to set rules or not; anything can work some of the time, and nothing works everytime, so that leaves a big expanse for those end bag of tricks.There are many black belts as you say that have never fought a real fight thats true but Mma is here and so is Ufc .
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not that I don't like martial arts.... I have a great deal of respect for many martial arts. I would love to take some judo or bjj or even some hakko denshin ryu jujutsu. I am one who truly believes that when done properly there is something to take away from all of them. The problem nowadays however is the proliferation othe mcdojos, where "masters" teach things purely incorrect. Every art has its style (for example, muay thai fighters stand open to defend against kicks) but unfortunately there are many examples where these masters teach things that could lead to injury or are simply ineffective.

As for this argument, I have no more respect for the national boxing coach who teaches a kid a corkscrew, which is inevitably used in the wrong situation, can lead to injury, and has absolutely NO POWER behind it whatsoever, than I do some idiot who teaches crappy karate at the Y, who got his black belt yet never even sparred let alone knows what a true punch in the face feels like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That sounds like it could destroy your AC in a very short time, I think a quarter turn is enough. Also what do you guys thinking of keeping the fist vertical? My coach has long told me that i'll get more punches in if I do it this way, but I don't feel as if I get nearly as much power with my right if I do it this way. It just doesn't seem crisp, maybe I just need more practise with it.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Thread Information