Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default amateur competition gloves

I like the everlast competiton gloves but having laces is imporant because i like the better wrist support. Which amateur competition gloves do you like best. this is for training btw.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: amateur competition gloves

I have not used laced gloves, ever. They are likely better but have not had them, or had anyone who has. I carry ringside with me. At the last fight I was in, they for whatever reason, would not allow me to use my clubs, but made me use a pair of green hill competition 10 oz gloves...again, not laced.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 08-10-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yea. I heard some AM shows make you use their gloves. So you do have ringside AM gloves? How are they?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have a pair of 10 oz cleto's for training. They're laced up, and more importantly allow me to make a solid fist and just feels nice.

For sparring, I have a pair of amateur 14 oz gloves by everlast. They have the velcro which is convenient, but that's about the only good thing that I can say about them.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The ringside ones are okay, a bit cheap but I like them. The green hill ones I've worn on several occasions, and are sort of awkward and seemed rounder.

As a point of interest for this thread, what do you all train and spar with as well. I train with a set of 14 oz. spar with 16 oz. and fight santoned with 10oz. Our In House fights which are just as brutal, if not moreso then santioned fights, we use 16 oz. All a matter of protection.

Why I bring this up is, I have read about people training with these huge oversized 18-22 oz gloves somehow thinking they are preparing themselves better and will be faster when fighting. Now I don't/won't go into all the details, I suppose we`ll see where this ends up...but it was recently discovered by sports scientists, that for eg...baseball players for however long who use donuts on their bats, or swing 2 bats right before stepping in the box, thinking that light feeling they get right after, are actually losing bat speed and distance and effectiveness by doing so, not increasing it as they`ve always thought. Oops.

Just some thoughts.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 08-11-2008 at 03:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this is interesting because as a baseball player i loved swinging two bats and i thought it did help me. guess not. I use 12 oz Gels to train in and 16 to spar. I wud like to buy some ringside AM competition gloves tho for training. I think it will help me to use small gloves for accuracy. Another thing is that swinging two bats would be like putting weights on your glove before the fight then taking them off. training with heavy gloves could benefit you because it works your shoulder.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually don't believe that amateur gloves should be used for training.

Over here Top Ten, Ergo, Adidas and Green hill are used as fight gloves.
    Each of those has the tight velcro wrist support, that in my opinion would be detrimental to the wrist and thumb if used constantly in training.

Hurting my hands in the past was a common occurance. Since switching to Cleto's and everlasts I have no hand issues.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bertolacylee View Post
    this is interesting because as a baseball player i loved swinging two bats and i thought it did help me. guess not. I use 12 oz Gels to train in and 16 to spar. I wud like to buy some ringside AM competition gloves tho for training. I think it will help me to use small gloves for accuracy. Another thing is that swinging two bats would be like putting weights on your glove before the fight then taking them off. training with heavy gloves could benefit you because it works your shoulder.
    Yea berto, I am of the thought too that you should use training gloves for training. They are as much for your protection, as are say 16 oz for protection of your opponents when sparring. I like the 14 oz ringside I have for training. Not expensive, but i've never hurt my hands. I understand your reasoning, as in maybe to get familiar with them, but I personally would not recommend making a habit out of it.

I know different gyms have different thoughts, but of the 2 gyms I have belonged to...both having good coaches, they recommended the 14 oz for training.

And yes, it is a proven fact. If you are a baseball player, don't ever again put a donut on or swing 2 bats before stepping into the box as preparation. You'll see this stopping very soon in the majors as it takes a while for people to believe and understand science, but it is what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post

Each of those has the tight velcro wrist support, that in my opinion would be detrimental to the wrist and thumb if used constantly in training.

Hurting my hands in the past was a common occurance. Since switching to Cleto's and everlasts I have no hand issues.

I used to think this too, but i go to a popular gym with a lot of pros and good AMs and i see a lot of people using amatuer gloves for training. I think it wouldnt be as detrimental if theyre lace up.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=bertolacylee;578810]

I used to think this too, but i go to a popular gym with a lot of pros and good AMs and i see a lot of people using amatuer gloves for training. I think it wouldnt be as detrimental if theyre lace up.[/quote]
    Why so?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=hitmandonny;579146]

I used to think this too, but i go to a popular gym with a lot of pros and good AMs and i see a lot of people using amatuer gloves for training. I think it wouldnt be as detrimental if theyre lace up.[/quote]
    Why so?

well i have used both lace up and hook and loop and to mee lace ups are much tighter around the wrist and offer much more protection. they seem to have longer cuffs too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=bertolacylee;579173]

Why so?

well i have used both lace up and hook and loop and to mee lace ups are much tighter around the wrist and offer much more protection. they seem to have longer cuffs too.
    I too believe that the lace ups offer a more comfortable fit and pose less risk to the rist.

The amateur gloves remind me of a bubble on the fist, enlarginging the fist, but not protecting the wrist, allowing the fist to turn and twist, potentially causing injury..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=hitmandonny;579176]

I too believe that the lace ups offer a more comfortable fit and pose less risk to the rist.

The amateur gloves remind me of a bubble on the fist, enlarginging the fist, but not protecting the wrist, allowing the fist to turn and twist, potentially causing injury..

this is a good point. On he description of the amateur gloves it says added room for wraps. Apparently they add too much.

Thread Information