Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing: Calzaghe dismisses Pavlik talk

WELSH boxing king Joe Calzaghe has dismissed accusations he is running scared of Kelly Pavlik and insisted his bout with American legend Roy Jones Jnr will be his last.
    The 36-year-old accused double world middleweight champion Pavlik of trying to gain publicity off the Calzaghe name after the highly-rated American claimed he would have to shoot the unbeaten Newbridge fighter in the leg to stop him running from a potential fight.
    Calzaghe yesterday confirmed his intention to retire after November’s fight with Jones Jnr, despite speculation he could fight on.
    And the Ring Magazine light-heavyweight and WBO super-middleweight champion revealed Pavlik had twice turned down the opportunity to face him earlier in his career.
    “I pay no attention. I hear the same stuff all the time and it’s a bit of a joke.
    “We tried to get Pavlik to fight me after the Jeff Lacy fight and he declined it because he wanted to fight for the middleweight title.
    “And I think we asked him again after he won the title, but he declined again.
    “I think he is possibly just trying to get publicity off the back of me.
    “Obviously. everyone wants a pay day, but he will have to go and find it somewhere else.
    “This guy has just started and you can’t talk about him as a great fighter because to be that you have to fight great names and reign for a long time, which he has not done.
    “Roy Jones is a legend, and that is the difference,” a confident Calzaghe said.
    Pavlik will face Calzaghe’s last victim, American veteran Bernard Hopkins, in Atlantic City just weeks before the “Italian dragon” takes his final lucrative bow against the legendary Jones Jnr at Madison Square Garden, New York on November 8.
    And fighting at boxing’s most historic venue against one of the sport’s most decorated warriors has proved a major factor in motivating Calzaghe to lace up his gloves for one last battle.
    “I’ve achieved everything I wanted to achieve. The one thing that is missing is to fight at Madison Square Garden.
    “I’m fighting one of the best fighters of the last 20 years at the mecca of boxing.
    “There is no way I am going to get beaten in my last fight. To go down in history as an undefeated world champion means so much to me.”
    Calzaghe will begin what he claims will be his final three-month training regime under the guidance of father Enzo on Monday morning after recovering from the wrist injury that saw the fight postponed from September.
    If this fight is to be Calzaghe’s swansong, then the man who has crafted his son’s boxing skills is determined nothing will be left to chance.
    “This last fight is more important than his first fight.
    “He will not be taking any chances because I won’t allow it. This fight is his dream and without it I don’t think he would have been fulfilled,” Enzo said.

If they both win, The fight is a must. But I would like to see him fight Abraham also.
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing: Calzaghe dismisses Pavlik talk

Personally as much as i would love Pavlik to behead Calzaghe , id rather he cleaned up to MW division , Kelly has loads of time to cement his legacy , Calzaghe is talking BIG now cos he wasted his chance.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Pavlik must clean out his own division before he calls out Calzaghe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmmmm; somehow Calzaghe thought Pavlik was worth fighting in 2006 while he was practically unheard of and struggling to get recognition at MW, but now in 2008 Pavlik hasn't done enough to earn a fight with Joe

Foot Into Mouth 101 How was Kelly a worthy opponent then but not now? And why was he trying to fight a fledgling MW who no one knew about when Joe was SMW?

Sounds like Joe is either lying or he was trying to bully an up and coming MW prospect just so he could get another win on his spotless, awe inspiring record back in 2006.

I'm not implying in any way Joe fears Pavlik, but the logic of Pavlik being a viable opponent in 2006 but not now is a bit strange to say the least.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both Calzaghe and his father said if the Hopkins performance was a one off and he beats Jones like he should he will fight Pavlik. They said they both see Joes career worst display as a sign he maybe slowing down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Markusdarkus View Post
    Both Calzaghe and his father said if the Hopkins performance was a one off and he beats Jones like he should he will fight Pavlik. They said they both see Joes career worst display as a sign he maybe slowing down.

If Pavlik/Calzaghe fight does get made, I wonder where it would be held?

I wouldn't mind seeing it in Wales as I like the energy of those stadium fights.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION View Post

If Pavlik/Calzaghe fight does get made, I wonder where it would be held?

I wouldn't mind seeing it in Wales as I like the energy of those stadium fights.

That would be great but i think HBO will want Vegas.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Or in Atlantic City. Pavlik seems to have found a home in New Jersey. If Calzaghe vs Pavlik ends up there, I would be in attendance in a heartbeat.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION View Post
    Hmmmm; somehow Calzaghe thought Pavlik was worth fighting in 2006 while he was practically unheard of and struggling to get recognition at MW, but now in 2008 Pavlik hasn't done enough to earn a fight with Joe

Foot Into Mouth 101 How was Kelly a worthy opponent then but not now? And why was he trying to fight a fledgling MW who no one knew about when Joe was SMW?

Sounds like Joe is either lying or he was trying to bully an up and coming MW prospect just so he could get another win on his spotless, awe inspiring record back in 2006.

I'm not implying in any way Joe fears Pavlik, but the logic of Pavlik being a viable opponent in 2006 but not now is a bit strange to say the least.

Ahhh but Joe "thinks" they made him an offer again after that.... LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As a Calzaghe fan i would be upset at him if he didnt beat up Pavlik.

There will always be that question from knowlegless fans just as Mayweather has over Cotto and Marg.

beat up the old dog then finish with Pavlik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by littlebif View Post
    Besides Abraham who else is there. I see Abraham his toughest in the middle weights but I still think Pavlik is too skilled and too powerful for him and knocks him out or stops him. I guess we will have to see how well Pavlik takes to the 10 pound catch weight than what he is used to but I still think he beats Hopkins and should really call out Calzaghe.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As a Calzaghe fan i would be upset at him if he didnt beat up Pavlik.

There will always be that question from knowlegless fans just as Mayweather has over Cotto and Marg.

beat up the old dog then finish with Pavlik.
    He could not even beat up a 43 year old man. He could not even make him swell a little or even look like he was in a fight.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That fight with b-hop was luckluster for me. Imagine b-hop dropping him at rnd 1! What if that was pavlik? The question is can calzaghe hurt pavlik with hand speed alone or the volume of punches alone? Pav is on his prime right now and if calzaghe and pavlik meets, i'm definitely rooting for pavlik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

looks like cal really doesn't want to fight pav

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southakron314 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebif View Post
    Besides Abraham who else is there. I see Abraham his toughest in the middle weights but I still think Pavlik is too skilled and too powerful for him and knocks him out or stops him. I guess we will have to see how well Pavlik takes to the 10 pound catch weight than what he is used to but I still think he beats Hopkins and should really call out Calzaghe.
    After Abraham, that's pretty much cleaning out the division! Zertuche, Taylor, Miranda, Abraham, no one else is really that appealling in middleweight. I hope he doesn't get affected by the fluctuation in his weight. He fought at 160 vs Taylor the first time, then moved up for a catch weight, moved back down to fight Locket, now moving to 170 to fight Bernard?

Thread Information