Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Michael Nunn be in the Hall?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Should Michael Nunn be in the Hall?

Style: When you think of Nunn, you think of words like stylist, speed, sharp reflexes, great technique, and solid defensive skills...but he also had an unappreciated ability to take out his opponents with power punching….and the record bears this out. He was a rangy and slick left-handed boxer who gave his opponents fits and was a master of the slip and slide move. These were his trademarks in the ring and provided great entertainment. Unfortunately, his career defining fight ended by a sudden and brutal knockout at the hands of James Toney in a fight that affirmed Toney's nick name of "Lights Out."

Let's look more closely at his chronology and see how his body of work stacks up
    Record: An outstanding one at 58 - 4 with 37 ko's and a surprisingly impressive ko percentage of 60%. He became the IBF Middleweight Champion by icing Frank Tate 1988. Tate was undefeated at the time. In 1989, he defeated former world title-holder Sumbu Kalambay via a one-punch left hand knockout that was named the first ever Ring magazine KO of the Year. He followed this win with successful title defenses against rugged Iran “The Blade” Barkley, Marlon “Magic Man” Starling, and Donald "The Cobra" Curry, all former world champions. He was considered one of boxing’s best pound-for-pound fighters and would go on to earn a total of $6 million.

Early on, he had beaten tough fighters like Alex Ramos (for the California State Middleweight Title), porcelain chin but heavy handed Marcos Geraldo, Mike Tinley, Willie Harris, Cecil Pettigrew, Dale Jackson and Kevin Watts...all of whom had outstanding won-lost slates.

He won the NABF Middleweight Title by stopping Darnell Knox, 25-1 coming in, in 1987 in perhaps what was his peak performance. A year later, he stopped the aforementioned Tate for the Middleweight Title at Ceasers Palace in Las Vegas. He then knocked out and retired tough Juan Domingo Roldan, 67-4 at the time.

As an aside, Michael had a knack for ending and/or negatively impacting the careers of many of his opponents and this “opponents post-fight” measurement, though an arduous one to compute is, in my view, a valuable one in evaluating a fighter worth.

His fateful fight with James Toney in May 1991 took place at the unlikely location of the John O'Donnell Stadium in Nunn’s home town of Davenport, IA. Leading on the cards by 97-93, 99-91 and 98-92, he got caught by a left hook from hell in the 11th round and just like that, it was lights out. A huge upset.

Regrouping, he won the NABF Super Middleweight Title with a solid tko win over Randall Yonker, 23-1, in 1991. In September 1992, he won the WBA Super Middleweight Title with a decision over Panamanian Victor Cordoba, 23-3. With a record of 42-1, he met Steve Little in London in 1994 and lost his title by a razor thin upset SD. Shortly after, he lost a bid to regaining his title when Frankie Liles, 25-1, beat him by a close decision in Ecuador

Nunn then put together a nine-fight win streak including nods over contenders John Scully, 35-4, and Booker T. Word, 23-4-2. He also ko’d and sent into retirement Lonnie Horn, 26-3. This positioned him for a shot at the vacant WBC Light Heavyweight Title against Graciano Rocchigiani in Germany. Unfortunately, he lost a SD with a scoring disparity that could only happen in Berlin, or so it seemed. After this disappointment, Nunn closed out his fine career with 6 straight wins including victories over Glen Thomas, 26-4, and former World Champion William Guthrie, 24-1, by ko. His last fight was in January 2002 at age 39. It is noteworthy that of his 4 defeats, only one was decisive and his record could well have been 61-1. It is also noteworthy that a long anticipated fight with Roy Jones was never made.

The rest of the story is, of course, history, but this has been about Michael's boxing career. Suffice it to say that as he now sits in the U. S. Penitentiary in Leavenworth, his path must now be one of redemption.

Whether Michael Nunn gets into the International Boxing Hall of Fame remains to be seen, but if he fails, it will not be because of his lack of providing indelible memories for boxing fans throughout the world. He was an outstanding fighter who possessed a rare combination of size, speed, punching power and technical boxing. He should not be forgotten by boxing aficionados and purists.

What do you think?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Should Michael Nunn be in the Hall?

I think he is HOF material based on the names he beat

When he started out he was "the next sugar ray " thats how good he was . He was also schooling Toney b4 getting tagged.

He was ringside for Eubank - Benn 2 . Its a good job for the Brits he never fought either of those two .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unfortunately, Nunn amazingly for a two time world champion probably under achieved. He was the future poster boy for middleweight boxing and threw it away. Fine he schooled ( to a point ) Toney until getting tagged, but he could still have been great after this by ruling the super middles/ light heavies.
    A shame, a very good fighter but in the end not great enough for the hall of fame. Although Barry McGuigan is in it. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see why not considering alot of other lesser fighters have been inducted.......

His impressive KO over the very durable Sumbu Kalambay in only 1 round add that onto solid wins against Frank Tate Donald Curry Iran Barkley Marlon Starling and i think he deserves it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Based on who he beat he deserves it , based on some of the people already in it he definately deserves it.His crimes since he retired should surely not come into it when discussing entry so a resounding yes for me.

I dread to think of what he might have done to Nigel Benn (one of my favourite fighters) if they had met around 1989 - 1990

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LeonardW12Hagler....
    I actually disagree, I think his crimes should be taken into consideration.
    As a notable figure in the boxing world Nunn brought the game into disrepute.
    He will forever be known as Michael Nunn, former World Boxing Champion and as such his crimes will always have a spin-off effect on boxing.

Names like SRL, Ali and George Foreman reinforced their sure fire HoF passes when they became great ambassadors for the sport.
    Nunn dirtied boxings name, although unintentionally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    LeonardW12Hagler....
    He will forever be known as Michael Nunn, former World Boxing Champion and as such his crimes will always have a spin-off effect on boxing.

Names like SRL, Ali and George Foreman reinforced their sure fire HoF passes when they became great ambassadors for the sport.

It was more of a question really , do they take that sort of stuff into consideration ? I mean I'm just having a look down the list of inductees and the only one I can find that's not exactly sqeaky clean so far is Sonny Liston.I'm not suggesting that his dodgy links were as bad as being caught with multiple kilos of coke on you so I guess you're right on that basis Nunn fails bigtime

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardW12Hagler View Post
    It was more of a question really , do they take that sort of stuff into consideration ? I mean I'm just having a look down the list of inductees and the only one I can find that's not exactly sqeaky clean so far is Sonny Liston.I'm not suggesting that his dodgy links were as bad as being caught with multiple kilos of coke on you so I guess you're right on that basis Nunn fails bigtime
    Yeah I believe they do.
    Thats why Barry is in there, for what he did with his status.

Sonny was a legbreaker, so thats a bit of a contradiction I guess.

Tyson will surely be in there despite.......everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I believe they do.

That's the acid test isn't it ! Maybe if they induct Tyson then they could do a convicts year and let Nunn in also.Just noticed also Pernell Whitaker on the list another coke head (although not a big timer) who possibly brought the sport shame as most people seemed to be aware of his problem late on in his career.

p.s. - I am English and am embarrassed about Barry's prescence !

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I believe they do.

That's the acid test isn't it ! Maybe if they induct Tyson then they could do a convicts year and let Nunn in also.Just noticed also Pernell Whitaker on the list another coke head (although not a big timer) who possibly brought the sport shame as most people seemed to be aware of his problem late on in his career.

Pernell was also tremendously abreasive and unpleasent.

Barry's not English mate, you've nothing to worry about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I believe they do.

Yes that's true I can always claim the "well he's Irish anyway" line , I also noticed Ken Buchannan is in there and rightly so he was quality was around much longer and achieved much more.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes that's true I can always claim the "well he's Irish anyway" line , I also noticed Ken Buchannan is in there and rightly so he was quality was around much longer and achieved much more.
    Man I'm glad to hear that!

Buchanan was a fiery little competitor and had good skills.
    Put on a good show with Duran, many would've crumbled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man I'm glad to hear that!

Buchanan was a fiery little competitor and had good skills.
    Put on a good show with Duran, many would've crumbled.
    Yep he would've got through that fight if it wasn't for you know what ! I think Duran would have still won on points but shows you what a ruthless , nasty bastard he was back then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LeonardW12Hagler....

Sugar Ray Leonard a great ambassador for the sport ? didn't he have cocaine addiction ? and i didn't think Muhammad Ali was a great ambassador for the sport either with his racism and disrespectful attitude to his opponents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ssss View Post
    LeonardW12Hagler....

Sugar Ray Leonard a great ambassador for the sport ? didn't he have cocaine addiction ? and i didn't think Muhammad Ali was a great ambassador for the sport either with his racism and disrespectful attitude to his opponents.
    Really I wasn't aware of Ray Leonard ever being accused of that WOW

Thread Information