Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Michael Nunn be in the Hall?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Should Michael Nunn be in the Hall?

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardW12Hagler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ssss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    LeonardW12Hagler....
    I actually disagree, I think his crimes should be taken into consideration.
    As a notable figure in the boxing world Nunn brought the game into disrepute.
    He will forever be known as Michael Nunn, former World Boxing Champion and as such his crimes will always have a spin-off effect on boxing.

Names like SRL, Ali and George Foreman reinforced their sure fire HoF passes when they became great ambassadors for the sport.
    Nunn dirtied boxings name, although unintentionally.
    Sugar Ray Leonard a great ambassador for the sport ? didn't he have cocaine addiction ? and i didn't think Muhammad Ali was a great ambassador for the sport either with his racism and disrespectful attitude to his opponents.
    Really I wasn't aware of Ray Leonard ever being accused of that WOW
    Look it up fella its pretty well known i believe it was round about the time he retired after the Kevin Howard fight in 1984 im not sure of the exact time though but he is a great fighter but i think its unfair to label Michael Nunn bad for the sport than put Sugar Ray Leonard as a great ambassador but thats just my opinion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes that's true I can always claim the "well he's Irish anyway" line , I also noticed Ken Buchannan is in there and rightly so he was quality was around much longer and achieved much more.
    Man I'm glad to hear that!

Buchanan was a fiery little competitor and had good skills.
    Put on a good show with Duran, many would've crumbled.
    Yep he would've got through that fight if it wasn't for you know what ! I think Duran would have still won on points but shows you what a ruthless , nasty bastard he was back then
    Thats dead true man.
    Buchanan may have been too tired to mount a victorious last few rounds, but he would have finished on his feet.

LeonardW12Hagler....
    He will forever be known as Michael Nunn, former World Boxing Champion and as such his crimes will always have a spin-off effect on boxing.

Names like SRL, Ali and George Foreman reinforced their sure fire HoF passes when they became great ambassadors for the sport.
    Sugar Ray Leonard a great ambassador for the sport ? didn't he have cocaine addiction ? and i didn't think Muhammad Ali was a great ambassador for the sport either with his racism and disrespectful attitude to his opponents.
    I believe I've had this debate with another poster in the past

The difference is that Sugar Ray has remained in the sport, redeeming himself as a positive infleunce through his promotion of amateur boxing, his contributions to charitable organisations and even by participating in the Contencder series, putting a positive shin eon the sport.
    BIG difference.

As for Ali, all of his opponents liked him after their fights, even himself and Frazier made amens. He always spoke with a wink and a smile.

As for racism that fairly unfair of you. Ali grew up in another time and in the past 20 years I defy you to show me where Ali differentiated between balck and white.
    Racism was very prevalent in Ali's prime and he struck back at legitimate haters. He is not a racist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

judged by his boxing accomplishments I say yes. some impressive names on his record. tate, kalumbay, barkley, starling, curry, cordoba. he was also well beating toney before being Kod. the fight against rocchigianni was a hometown decision. I always think though we could have seen more from Nunn.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

when I think of Nunn I think of the man who was the "next sugar ray" but got caught by Toney and never really lived upto his early potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LeonardW12Hagler....

Leonard later admitted to having abused alcohol, cocaine, and his wife Juanita.

I don't really think anything boxers having problems outside the ring in terms of their HOF status.

Lots of great boxers were scumbags outside the ring. Some of the stuff that guys like Ray Robinson, Jake LaMotta, Carlos Monzon, for instance, did, were just disgusting.
    R.I.P. Julius "Sho Nuff" Carry III

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Michael Nunn, in terms of achievements, is borderline IMO. Canastota doesn't have the highest standards anyway.

I think Nunn being an underachiever might play a role in the voting process. People like overachievers more.
    R.I.P. Julius "Sho Nuff" Carry III

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post

Leonard later admitted to having abused alcohol, cocaine, and his wife Juanita.

I don't really think anything boxers having problems outside the ring in terms of their HOF status.

Lots of great boxers were scumbags outside the ring. Some of the stuff that guys like Ray Robinson, Jake LaMotta, Carlos Monzon, for instance, did, were just disgusting.
    I agree 100%, unless what they do outside the ring affects their performance inside the ring, and I can't think of many cases where that has happened. Camacho stole something a while back in Miss. He is still fighting. The two are unrelated. Boxing is the one occupation where what you did before doesn't not matter. On balance, I'd vote Nunn in if I had a vote which I don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IMO Nunn was simply a real good fighter, and only great fighters should be inducted, which he was not.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But what about INGO, Polomino, Barry, Norton, Saad, Cuevas and some others? Not trying to argue the point, but I say Nunn is better than a lot of the guys who are in there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LeonardW12Hagler....

In my opinion people should be placed into the Hall of Fame for their accomplishments in what they are receiving the award in.

Nunn without a doubt as far as his boxing goes is a Hall of Fame boxer.

He isn't gonna win the best person in the world award. But his achievements shouldbt be ignored for his out of the ring problems, inside the ring he is hall of fame, outside of it he was not
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always felt that boxing is the one occupation in which your past life meant nothing. Thus, guys like Liston, Lyle, Michael Bennett, Braxton, and many others got a chance at redemption.

Maybe if a boxer does something bad outside the ring during the course of his career, a different standard should apply. While I personally agree with Majesty on this, it might make for a different take on things. Tyson, Spadafora and Camacho quickly come to mind.

Hhhmm.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=hitmandonny;589560
    As for racism that fairly unfair of you. Ali grew up in another time and in the past 20 years I defy you to show me where Ali differentiated between balck and white.
    Racism was very prevalent in Ali's prime and he struck back at legitimate haters. He is not a racist.[/quote]

Sorry Donny - when Ali joined the Black Muslims, they genuinely belived that the black race was human and whites had been created by a mad scientist called Mr Yacub. They were banished to an island, but escaped and took over the world.

The Black Muslims belived all white people were evil, would not talk or make eye contact with anyone white and forbade thair families to have any contact with them at all. They were not integrationalist and wanted their own homeland where white people would not be permitted.

Admittedly, he did convert to mainstream Islam in the 80's - but Ali was a pretty bad guy when he was young.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LeonardW12Hagler....

You have got to be kidding me. Leonard and Ali were both completely dispicable human beings in their prime.. But aside from that, you actually feel Nunns being charged with intent to sell cocaine after he was done as a fighter, should detract from how worthy a candidate he is for the HOF? Or even more preposterously, that he somehow tarnishes the sport from a casual fans perspective?? Only real boxing fans know who Michael Nunn was these days. Don't you box yourself? Perhaps Nunn after never achieving his potential and receiving punishment from boxing, couldn't make a whole lot of money doing much else? Not to mention how many HOF fighters have been plauged with addiction and criminal behaviour after retiring but were lucky enough to never be charged..

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm curious though... Are you under the illusion that any washed up fighter who used to be somebody can just sit back, cast a great light on the sport, give back to it, and watch the money roll in? It's an extremely brutal business and very, very few fighters have succesfully made the transition from boxing to another profitable pursuit. Michael Nunn is not Leonard or George Foreman. He's more like 99.99999% of the other fighters who retire is all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=X;591003]
    Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny;589560
    Racism was very prevalent in Ali's prime and he struck back at legitimate haters. He is not a racist.[/quote

Sorry Donny - when Ali joined the Black Muslims, they genuinely belived that the black race was human and whites had been created by a mad scientist called Mr Yacub. They were banished to an island, but escaped and took over the world.

The Black Muslims belived all white people were evil, would not talk or make eye contact with anyone white and forbade thair families to have any contact with them at all. They were not integrationalist and wanted their own homeland where white people would not be permitted.

Admittedly, he did convert to mainstream Islam in the 80's - but Ali was a pretty bad guy when he was young.
    Point taken but...
    Angelo Dundee?

Howard Cosell?

Ali was a black Muslim, I know what that entails, but Ali also slept around.
    He "failed" in many ways to live up to his Muslim expectations.

I believe he despised the way his people were treated and thus despised those that treated them so. But I don't believe he hated all that was white.

He spent weeks in Ireland and got on marvellously well with all who met him.

Thread Information