Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Too reliant upon sleeping meds.

My working hours are bad. I finish at 11pm on mondays and 10pm on thursdays and fridays. Then I need to be in bed because I have classes at my second school in the mornings. The hours are not all that tough but getting to sleep has been a big problem. I started using sleeping pills last summer because it is really brutal finishing at 11pm and to then be needing to wind done for a 10am class in the morning. I just couldnt manage it so decided a pill would help me now and then if in trouble.

The onset of summer made it even worse here and sleep and anxiety become more of an issue. It gets so humid and sticky. Im never comfortable outside the realm of the British climate. I always like to have a beer but didnt want to use alcohol to knock myself out so used more of my medicine instead. Of course sometimes I would just drink beer.

And then I made excuses for myself whilst writing my essay. I needed to get through the week and sleep and wake up at certain times in order to get my work done on time. Medicine was there to knock me out on call.

Summer is almost out but I find im still pretty reliant upon my medicine. I have another deadline at the end of this month. Tonight I finished work at 11pm. I have class in the morning at 10pm. I need to write a substantial amount in the afternoon if im to make any progress. Inevitabley I will take a pill and most likely be asleep in 2 hours.

Am I getting too attached to my meds? Should I make adjustments in my life? My contracts finish at the end of next month and Ive been thinking about just having a break and not doing any work for a while whilst I try and get myself back into a normal routine again. Its an awkward situation.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Too reliant upon sleeping meds.

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    My working hours are bad. I finish at 11pm on mondays and 10pm on thursdays and fridays. Then I need to be in bed because I have classes at my second school in the mornings. The hours are not all that tough but getting to sleep has been a big problem. I started using sleeping pills last summer because it is really brutal finishing at 11pm and to then be needing to wind done for a 10am class in the morning. I just couldnt manage it so decided a pill would help me now and then if in trouble.

The onset of summer made it even worse here and sleep and anxiety become more of an issue. It gets so humid and sticky. Im never comfortable outside the realm of the British climate. I always like to have a beer but didnt want to use alcohol to knock myself out so used more of my medicine instead. Of course sometimes I would just drink beer.

And then I made excuses for myself whilst writing my essay. I needed to get through the week and sleep and wake up at certain times in order to get my work done on time. Medicine was there to knock me out on call.

Summer is almost out but I find im still pretty reliant upon my medicine. I have another deadline at the end of this month. Tonight I finished work at 11pm. I have class in the morning at 10pm. I need to write a substantial amount in the afternoon if im to make any progress. Inevitabley I will take a pill and most likely be asleep in 2 hours.

Am I getting too attached to my meds? Should I make adjustments in my life? My contracts finish at the end of next month and Ive been thinking about just having a break and not doing any work for a while whilst I try and get myself back into a normal routine again. Its an awkward situation.
    I got hooked on prescription sleeping pills about 3 years ago. I was having a lot of trouble sleeping so i used them. Got real good sleep too.

Anyway to come off i started taking just half for a week, then just a quarter and then down to herbal tablets and then finally came off them altogether.

Good luck anyway. Maybe try that. It worked for me.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post

I got hooked on prescription sleeping pills about 3 years ago. I was having a lot of trouble sleeping so i used them. Got real good sleep too.

Anyway to come off i started taking just half for a week, then just a quarter and then down to herbal tablets and then finally came off them altogether.

Good luck anyway. Maybe try that. It worked for me.
    Cheers for the advice. Ive tried cutting down a few times, but when it came to sleep I just wouldnt drop off. So inevitably I would add some more, get it closer to the original dose. And then of course I would sleep and be back to square one really.

Doing the wonky hours Im doing are never going to support any efforts to cut down. Might need to become unemployed for a bit just to spend some time fixing myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My girlfriend had breast cancer and some of the treatments would keep her up all night, or she would be sick and couldn't sleep, so they put her on sleeping pills. She is still on them now and it has been 2 years since she finished treatment, but she can't sleep without them now. I don't have any advice, but if you find something let me know
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION View Post
    My girlfriend had breast cancer and some of the treatments would keep her up all night, or she would be sick and couldn't sleep, so they put her on sleeping pills. She is still on them now and it has been 2 years since she finished treatment, but she can't sleep without them now. I don't have any advice, but if you find something let me know
    Cheers for that Legion!

Thats part of the problem it becomes, it starts with you wanting a little aid to sleep and eventually it becomes a deal with the devil. If this is the way its going to be for the indefinate future then I really have to contemplate changing work. My health and wealthware needs to come ahead of all other things. And thats something I truly forget sometimes.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 09-08-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers for that Legion!

Thats part of the problem it becomes, it starts with you wanting a little aid to sleep and eventually it becomes a deal with the devil.

Kind of one of those "the cure becomes the disease" things. I sleep like a baby though
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers for that Legion!

Thats part of the problem it becomes, it starts with you wanting a little aid to sleep and eventually it becomes a deal with the devil.

Kind of one of those "the cure becomes the disease" things. I sleep like a baby though
    You lucky bastard!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My dad is reliant upon sleeping meds too. Not sure what type of meds you got, but his are brownish and come in glass containers and he calls them...beer.

I suppose it is common. Good luck getting off whatever ones you got going miles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a little worried about the same thing too... A few months back my doctor prescribed me these tablets that really help you sleep. He prescribed 10 as a short term thing while I was having trouble sleeping for a few days, but the actual pharmacy somehow messed up my script and gave me a box of 100. Needless to say I've been taking them every night since for months now (only need to take a half and i'm out), and it's coming up to the end of the box. I've tried sleeping without them, but my mind and body just completely buzzes all night..
    They are supposed to be non addictive, and in the respect of usual addictive sleep meds, they don't make you feel totally horrible when don't take them, you just don't sleep...
    And considering how addictive sleep is in general, it's going to be painful laying there all night awake with work the next day etc.

Anyway good luck Miles... It's a hard one because for something like this, a really good doctor could help you - If you were honest and upfront with them, they could work out a plan to get you off them... The problem is most doctors have their heads up their moral asses though, and if you mention you even "think" you have a sleeping med problem, they'll close up like a clam and probably not want to prescribe you anything... Some might say "just have a warm drink before bed and read a book" (i've heard this one many a time)... So then you're like "fuck this guy" and don't go back to him, and he probably thinks this hardcore pill addict got of his meds by taking a warm drink and reading a book...

So if you can find a really helpful doctor then that will make things easier, but it's difficult to find any doctors that have actual decent knowledge in such area's and have the brains to figure out a treatment that suits YOU and not just them...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Miles the pills are cheap and easy to swallow. I don't see the problem. My side hurts if I take them and drink alot though.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It sounds really fucking hippie-dippyish, but meditation really helps me. I still have trouble sleeping sometimes, but meditation has helped a fair bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did I mention I sleep like a baby?

Actually, if I didn't have my giant air boat sized fan on and/or music, I wouldn't get a wink of sleep. Total quiet when I'm trying to sleep drives me mad. Also, it has to be freezing cold or I can't sleep. I'm actually surprised Kathy can deal with me.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did I mention I sleep like a baby?

Actually, if I didn't have my giant air boat sized fan on and/or music, I wouldn't get a wink of sleep. Total quiet when I'm trying to sleep drives me mad. Also, it has to be freezing cold or I can't sleep. I'm actually surprised Kathy can deal with me.

I sleep ok as long as I don't think/worry about it, but my problem is that I almost always think/worry about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also, getting a blow job every night helps me sleep easy; and I get a sense of relaxation knowing I mass murdered all my little children that could have been.
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also, getting a blow job every night helps me sleep easy; and I get a sense of relaxation knowing I mass murdered all my little children that could have been.
    Oddly enough, I think I'll sleep better at night knowing that you aren't procreating...

Thread Information