Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any of you give Hopkins a chance of pulling out another Tarver fight.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Any of you give Hopkins a chance of pulling out another Tarver fight.

Or has his time come to an end..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Any of you give Hopkins a chance of pulling out another Tarver fight.

I think it's over. I liked B-Hop until recent years and he just hung around too long.Sure he had a great victory over Tarver but he was no spring chicken either. Kelly is a totally different animal then Tarver.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Any of you give Hopkins a chance of pulling out another Tarver fight.

Tarver's output is way lower than Pavliks, look at what Dawson was able to do to him. I don't think what Hopkins did to Tarver gives anything close to what will happen in this fight. I also think it will be like all of Hopkins fights of late, Bernard loses because of low output and cries about it.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont believe Hopkins still has the legs to do a job on Pavlik.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins would beat Tarver if they were fighting tomorrow, Pavliks made of tougher stuff.

I did read the thread wrong if anyones confused
    Last edited by Kel; 10-17-2008 at 09:51 PM.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he'll have to stop Pavlik to beat him. You never know though. It's definitely going to be worth watching.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins has more than a good chance, the only way i see it happening is by the usual hopkins way, make it an ugly wrestling fight, throw about 15-20 punches a round 10-15 of them in the last 30 seconds and just simply run the rest of the time and wait for pavlik to make a mistake, if it never comes let it go to the cards and if you loose bitch about the judging. I personally think pavlik will be over anxious and frustrated early but catches him in the middle rounds. A younger b-hop i think could weather it but this b-hop won't and pavlik (a white-boy no less) stops him for the first time. But i also picked peter so who knows.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tarver is way too scared to pull the trigger for him to beat Hopkins EVER, Hopkins would feint him out of his socks on any night IMO. Pavlik has less craft then Tarver, but he is has way more will power, he throws a lot more, and he isn't gay. IMO its like comparing Margarito and Judah and how they did against Cotto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That being said I think Pavlik should start off tomorrow night with a lower workrate like Calzaghe did, I fear that if he tries to come in right away he will be countered, take ayour time, get used to Hopkins timing, and realize you are going to get countered, but you will be countered a lot less if you fight smart and make sure Hopkins doesn't find his range.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do think Pavlik is going to be frustrated a lot more then most think. I think the key for Hopkins is going to be how he reacts to the jab. Whether he can block it, whether he can time it over the top with the right like Taylor and Miranda had success doing. That's important because Kelly's entire offense is off the jab, it's what he uses to space his right hand, it's his range finder, it's also a very hard jab and against Taylor the second time around he was missing the first jab and then starting over. Have to keep the pressure on with the jab if not then Hopkins will be able to slow down Pavlik enough to take some rounds and make it interesting. Surely Hopkins has seen this and more, he's going to come with a gameplan as he always does and it is entirely possible that he pulls off another upset at least makes it close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    I do think Pavlik is going to be frustrated a lot more then most think. I think the key for Hopkins is going to be how he reacts to the jab. Whether he can block it, whether he can time it over the top with the right like Taylor and Miranda had success doing. That's important because Kelly's entire offense is off the jab, it's what he uses to space his right hand, it's his range finder, it's also a very hard jab and against Taylor the second time around he was missing the first jab and then starting over. Have to keep the pressure on with the jab if not then Hopkins will be able to slow down Pavlik enough to take some rounds and make it interesting. Surely Hopkins has seen this and more, he's going to come with a gameplan as he always does and it is entirely possible that he pulls off another upset at least makes it close.

This is a very good analysis, it should also be interesting to see how well Pavlik can utilize that jab against a moving target, its a lot more tricky, and a guy who is much ligher on his feet then Taylor or Miranda which means that Hopkins can counter at any moment, and he is as focused as anyone in boxing has ever been, he sees everything and reacts in a heartbeat.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I give Hopkins a chance. We don't yet know how Pavlik will fare against someone as awkward as Hopkins.

I'd love to see the old warhorse beat the young lion, to my knowledge I can't think of any 44 year old former champ in the history of boxing who took on and beat an undisputed world champ in his prime.

Great way for Hopkins to end his career.

Unlikely to happen I guess, but he may well confuse the hell out of Pavlik we just don't know for sure.

The weight may be significant. Pavlik didn't look too hot the last time out against Jermain Taylor, a little sluggish and lethargic at times.

I'm rooting for the Nard but you got to give Pavlik the edge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    As soon as this fight was announced I remember saying in a thread that Pavlik could be frustrated by Hopkins style. Pavlik likes to fight, stop him from fighting (like I think Hopkins will) and he will start making silly mistakes and get countered and lose rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never say never with Bernard if he did win boy would it shake things up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavliks fighting an oldman so should win. Kelly is a top fighter but this fight does nothing - its just beating a name.

Thread Information