Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Roy Jones let it all hang out?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Will Roy Jones let it all hang out?

I believe the only way Roy can win is if he abandons his safety first approach, I think if he covers up instead focusing on counter he will get pounder, but If he stays commited to countering I think he could take Calzaghe to interesting places. Roy despite his unorthodox style punches straight, and much faster then Calzaghe even at 40, the question is, will Roy let his hands go? Even in his most impressive win in several years Roy barely let his hands go against the low output Trinidad, if Roy continues this trend he will beaten ugly by Calzaghe, however if he stands there and trades with Calzaghe I think he could get the better of it. I thought Bernard would have done a lot better if he would have brought the fight to Calzaghe, not just counter punching the whole fight, and I hope Roy will do the same.

Do you guys think Roy has it left? I strongly believe he doesn't. He had every oppertunity to beat Tarver in their third fight, but only let punches fly in the 2 rounds he won. Calzaghe isn't a big puncher, and I hope that Roy can exploit this by using his superior speed and boxing skills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will Roy Jones let it all hang out?

Imagine if he comes out to prove a point the way he did vs Griffin 2 and blows Calzaghe away i would be in total shock but it would be great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have said many times he is my favorite fight, but he can't do that to Calzaghe for many reasons among them Calzaghe can take a punch, Griffin can't, and Roy can't hit nearly as hard as he could in his prime. I think he could drop Calzaghe, but I don't think Roy can stop Calzaghe. If I am correct the only way Roy has a chance is if he can limit Calzaghe's output the way to did opponents in his prime, if he counters everything Cazlaghe throws early, Calzaghe will either stop throwing punches or get even sloppy, and give Roy even more oppertunities to counter, hopefully Roy has enough of his reflexes left to still counter in situations nobody else Calzaghe has ever faced could. Speed like his is something you only face once in your, and the is the one thing he has going for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by tysonbruno View Post
    Imagine if he comes out to prove a point the way he did vs Griffin 2 and blows Calzaghe away i would be in total shock but it would be great

Not great Perfect. but roy cant fight like that anymore but he will still give calzaghe some problems. and people are forgeting that this fight is in NEW YORK of USA those flurries of slaps wont work there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the fight will pan out similarly to the Trinidad fight in the sense that Roy will let Joe hit him a bit to see if he can take his power. Once Jones realizes Joe doesn't hit that hard, he will pot shot him all night with that straight right.

That's how I hope it goes. Key word being "hope."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy has shown he is still dangerous and can still fight. However Roy will get stopped as he stays on the ropes too long and doesnt tie up.

Calzaghe between 7-10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would love to see it but I'm not expecting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones will have his moments against joe landing fast combos but hasn't got the workrate to maintain with Calzaghe through 12 rounds.

Jones will simply get outworked by Calzaghe.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by kingfrnk View Post

Not great Perfect. but roy cant fight like that anymore but he will still give calzaghe some problems. and people are forgeting that this fight is in NEW YORK of USA those flurries of slaps wont work there.
    Of course, New York has outlawed the Calzaghe flurry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Roy can abandon the safty first approach and just leave his ahnds go he should win...no he is not as fast as he once was but he is slick...Once he realizes Calzaghe can't hurt him he will start to open up
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I believe the only way Roy can win is if he abandons his safety first approach, I think if he covers up instead focusing on counter he will get pounder, but If he stays commited to countering I think he could take Calzaghe to interesting places. Roy despite his unorthodox style punches straight, and much faster then Calzaghe even at 40, the question is, will Roy let his hands go? Even in his most impressive win in several years Roy barely let his hands go against the low output Trinidad, if Roy continues this trend he will beaten ugly by Calzaghe, however if he stands there and trades with Calzaghe I think he could get the better of it. I thought Bernard would have done a lot better if he would have brought the fight to Calzaghe, not just counter punching the whole fight, and I hope Roy will do the same.

Do you guys think Roy has it left? I strongly believe he doesn't. He had every oppertunity to beat Tarver in their third fight, but only let punches fly in the 2 rounds he won. Calzaghe isn't a big puncher, and I hope that Roy can exploit this by using his superior speed and boxing skills.
    This is fight is all mental for Jones. If he's not afraid to get hit and he let's his hands go, it's going to be an interesting fight. Roy has improved some of his fundamentals since Tarver 3. I don't think Calzaghe will be able to hurt Jones, but if Jones doesn't have the willingness to get hit, he'll lose. Unfortunately, Jones went so long without anybody hitting him that when he finally got hit, he folded like yesterday's newspaper. If Calzaghe could punch at all, I wouldn't give Roy a chance, but if Roy believes in his heart that Calzaghe can't hurt him and he is willing to risk it all, it's going to be a great fight.

I hope this turns out to be great. It's costing me half a weeks salary to go, and I'll be close enough tell you what the judges were thinking.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He may have too at times,it would be ideal for him to snap off that still potent right hand early,let Joe know that he is not just looking to time and counter in there,give him pause about rushing in and get him stuck on the outside,then Jones has to explode and back him but I just don't think it's in his nature,not his style and he runs the risk of emptying the tank.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't know about the rest of you but I don't want to see RJJ letting it hang out... I'd prefer he keep it all in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope he takes some inspirational lesson from Hopkins recent performance... Calzaghe isn't the sort of guy that is going to give you brain damage so I think Roy should let his hands go and really put 100% into this fight...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Don't know about the rest of you but I don't want to see RJJ letting it hang out... I'd prefer he keep it all in.

HAH. james toney let it his (.Y.) hang out.

Thread Information