Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Roy Jones Jr traning hard enough??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Roy Jones Jr traning hard enough??

I really don't like the fact he hasn't brought in new sparring partners. IMO what he has always done obviously isn't working at the top level anymore. I think he needs young blood in there to spar with. The guys he always spars with are likely guys he is used to. I think he needs to get a variety of opposition that are always different. In 24/7 I know it can be misleading, but I didn't see the same intensity in Jones' training as I did in Joe's. I don't get the sparring partners, fast hands or not one of them is obesse, Roy needs guys in great shape that can throw 100+ fast punches a round at him. I don't see why he can't try to get guys like Andre Ward or Dirrell into his camps, or Demetrius Andrade or whatever young talent he can.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Roy Jones Jr traning hard enough??

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I really don't like the fact he hasn't brought in new sparring partners. IMO what he has always done obviously isn't working at the top level anymore. I think he needs young blood in there to spar with. The guys he always spars with are likely guys he is used to. I think he needs to get a variety of opposition that are always different. In 24/7 I know it can be misleading, but I didn't see the same intensity in Jones' training as I did in Joe's. I don't get the sparring partners, fast hands or not one of them is obesse, Roy needs guys in great shape that can throw 100+ fast punches a round at him. I don't see why he can't try to get guys like Andre Ward or Dirrell into his camps, or Demetrius Andrade or whatever young talent he can.
    Well Dirrell has a fight this weekend. Andrade just fought his first pro fight, I don't think Andrade would benefit him that much. Ward could be a little useful though. TBH though, I think he needs to find some more experienced, crafty guys, closer to what he's going in against.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read he has been sparring a couple of young southpaws with good records but he didn't name them in boxing news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unless he is keeping a lot of secrets on 24/7 it sounds like their are southpaws he usually trains with. It doesn't keep you honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Well Dirrell has a fight this weekend. Andrade just fought his first pro fight, I don't think Andrade would benefit him that much. Ward could be a little useful though. TBH though, I think he needs to find some more experienced, crafty guys, closer to what he's going in against.

They were just examples, but Dirrell could have had his training camp with Roy's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Doesn't matter how hard he trains. He gets his ass whooped. Seriousley I been thinking hard about this fight, and the more I think the more it's not going to be close. Jones is shot. Calzaghe wide UD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee View Post
    Doesn't matter how hard he trains. He gets his ass whooped. Seriousley I been thinking hard about this fight, and the more I think the more it's not going to be close. Jones is shot. Calzaghe wide UD.

your probably rite lefty, but i still want jones to win but if calzaghe retires il still be happy just to have him outta the sport

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the 24/7 his camp did seem to be a little relaxed, pretty chill stuff but I have no idea how he has trained throughout his career, how hard he goes in camp or anything. The more I think about it though the more I think it just doesn't matter I think Calzaghe is going to win.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he is just being measured,Has to be very careful not to over due it...not a kid anymore and stamina might be an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    I think he is just being measured,Has to be very careful not to over due it...not a kid anymore and stamina might be an issue.
    Agreed.. Again I wouldn't pull the damn alarm on this.. arguably one of Roys meaningful fights of his career and I doubt he is falling asleep at the wheel in training camp. ROy to me looked more sharp fluid and poised than Calzaghe. Just because Enzo is barking and stealing the show dosent mean Joe is training harder than Roy.

Look at the Hatton 24/7 Ricky looked like a wildman in training compared to the same scrutiny Floyd got for what appeared to be the same Mitt routine him and Roger do..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ya, I agree. If Jones loses, it won't be because he didn't train hard enough... it'll be because he's an old fighter and his legs are gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee View Post
    I feel a name change bet coming on lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Regardless of roy jones jrs training, it all depends on his mindset coming into the ring. He could be in the best shape of his life but that isnt going to help him if hes gun shy. If he fights scared, he loses. Calzaghe will pump out punches all night long and Jones lets him and then he will lose a lopsided UD. If jones turns up in the right mindset, uses his right hand effectively then i see a possible tko for roy. Calzaghe is a south paw and we all saw him get caught by bhop in the first round with a right hand straight down the middle. If Bhop can land rights on calzaghe then roy can do it with ease. All he needs to do is turn up to win, not to survive.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Ya, I agree. If Jones loses, it won't be because he didn't train hard enough... it'll be because he's an old fighter and his legs are gone.
    I disagree that his legs are gone, watch him in Tarver III, against Henshaw, he was moving very fast and sustained it, the problem that he has always had at LHW is he moves straight backwards, and doesn't try to get off the ropes. Against Trinidad I dont' think he was trying to move at all, he wanted to back Trinidad up the whole fight, but early on I think he was just getting a feel for things(though I still believe he picked up most of the early rounds).

I still think Roy never trained as hard as he should have at any point in his career, I don't think he ever needed to. Obviously he trained hard enough to be in great shape, but I have never seen the same comitment from him as from guys like Calzaghe, Mayweather, and Bernard Hopkins.

I think Roy's chances in this fight are based on how hard he trains. I think he should have about 5 or 6 quick southpaws switching off and punching 100 times a round against him so he gets the feel for it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    I disagree that his legs are gone, watch him in Tarver III, against Henshaw, he was moving very fast and sustained it, the problem that he has always had at LHW is he moves straight backwards, and doesn't try to get off the ropes. Against Trinidad I dont' think he was trying to move at all, he wanted to back Trinidad up the whole fight, but early on I think he was just getting a feel for things(though I still believe he picked up most of the early rounds).

I still think Roy never trained as hard as he should have at any point in his career, I don't think he ever needed to. Obviously he trained hard enough to be in great shape, but I have never seen the same commitment from him as from guys like Calzaghe, Mayweather, and Bernard Hopkins.

I think Roy's chances in this fight are based on how hard he trains. I think he should have about 5 or 6 quick southpaws switching off and punching 100 times a round against him so he gets the feel for it.
    I think its all mute at this point Taeth,We are one week out,any sparring prep should have and might have been addressed earlier.Roy is no dummy,he's been at this for a couple of decades and knows his limitations.I think his legs have looked a bit stiff in spots recently,and thats not including the Tarver & Johnson KO's.I think he will be sitting down more on the right but I can see him having problems down the stretch as he backs.

I agree on Roy's apparent lake of over all focus through the years.I mean,how many times have we seen him sitting ringside watching Gainer while he was up next in main event?Not to mention his dabbling in Basketball at the same time as with a big fight on deck.Roy is a promotion with and of himself,the music,the roosters,the swagger.Right now,I think he is doing what he can do.And I expect as much next Saturday night,I think he'll go for it, but he what he once was.

Thread Information