Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Rank Jones, Calzaghe, and Hopkins ATGreatness As Of Now?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How Do You Rank Jones, Calzaghe, and Hopkins ATGreatness As Of Now?

I would have:
    1.Hopkins
    2.Jones
    3.Calzaghe

I guess you could say its crazy to have B-Hop #1 of the group given he lost to both men, and I guess you could criticize Calzaghe being 3rd on the list cause he beat both men. But when it comes to overall accomplishments over their long careers Hopkins has the edge. Also considering that he arguably never really decisively lost a fight...except maybe to Jones. Prime Jones was an amazing fighter and he is clearly not the same fighter today and hasn't been since winning the heavyweight title. Calzaghe has had a great career and his biggest wins over prime opposition remain his wins against Kessler and Lacy and arguably Hopkins. He did beat RJJ and deserves some credit but it wasnt the career defining win he sought but it keeps his record unblemished and adds a good name to his resume.

I wouldnt argue any order of the greatness of these fighters because all three of them have had unbelievable careers and have made record breaking accomplishments in boxings

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How Do You Rank Jones, Calzaghe, and Hopkins ATGreatness As Of Now?

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I would have:
    1.Hopkins
    2.Jones
    3.Calzaghe

I guess you could say its crazy to have B-Hop #1 of the group given he lost to both men, and I guess you could criticize Calzaghe being 3rd on the list cause he beat both men. But when it comes to overall accomplishments over their long careers Hopkins has the edge. Also considering that he arguably never really decisively lost a fight...except maybe to Jones. Prime Jones was an amazing fighter and he is clearly not the same fighter today and hasn't been since winning the heavyweight title. Calzaghe has had a great career and his biggest wins over prime opposition remain his wins against Kessler and Lacy and arguably Hopkins. He did beat RJJ and deserves some credit but it wasnt the career defining win he sought but it keeps his record unblemished and adds a good name to his resume.

I wouldnt argue any order of the greatness of these fighters because all three of them have had unbelievable careers and have made record breaking accomplishments in boxings
    Throw Toney in there and you could have them in any order.

I'd say a prime Jones is still the best but that's just my opinion. Wouldn't complain about the order anyone puts them in to be honest.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's nothing wrong with Calzaghe's win over Hopkins. Hopkins showed top form before the loss and even better after. Roy beat Hopkins fair and square too.

So Hopkins is definitely 3rd.

1. Roy
    2. Calzaghe
    3. Hopkins
    Last edited by Fenster; 11-09-2008 at 01:15 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1.Jones
    2.Hopkins
    3.Calzaghe

But its a bit of a toss up between Hopkins and Jones because of his achievements at this end of his career vs Tarver,Wright,Pavlik and even his loss to Calzaghe because its debatable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins
    Calzaghe
    Jones

(Calzaghe's win over Jones has nothing to do with him rated higher IMO).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still rank Jones higher than those guys. IMO Jones is still a top 15 ATG.

I think you that rate Joe over RJJ are fucking crazy. So victories over Lacy, Kessler, a razor thin victory over Hopkins and a win over the shell of Roy equal winning titles everywhere from MIDDLEWEIGHT to HEAVYWEIGHT?!? You have to be out of you g'damn mind. People say Roy's compedition was bad. Calzaghe's was better? Bull sh#t.
    Last edited by Beanflicker; 11-09-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jones
    calzage
    hopkins
    Come on it has to be jones a five weight world champion there has only ever been one other fighter in history to do that
    calzage second depending on weather he gets out undefeated b hop close behind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its really tough to rank these 3 really really tough as much as i like joe

i cant decide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mrodub View Post
    jones
    calzage
    hopkins
    Come on it has to be jones a five weight world champion there has only ever been one other fighter in history to do that
    calzage second depending on weather he gets out undefeated b hop close behind
    I view it the same way I rank Hagler over Mosley. Shane has titles in 3 divisions, Marvin in only 1, but he ranks higher because of who he fought and beat. I actually think Joe and Roy could be interchangeable however I personally feel Roy is full of sh!t after watching him on 24/7, and simply don't believe 90% of what he says, whereas B-Hop is 100% honest and not only tells it like it is, but goes after fighters who pose great risks (something Roy and Joe seldom did).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    There's nothing wrong with Calzaghe's win over Hopkins. Hopkins showed top form before the loss and even better after. Roy beat Hopkins fair and square too.

Negative. Losing to a fighter doesn't suddenly mean you are below them in rank.
    Hopkins beat better opposition than calzaghe and it can be argued that he won the fight against him.

We can all argue that Hopkins/Calzaghe would beat more people than Jones can aswell.
    It's pretty obvious already they can definitely reign supreme alot longer than jones.

I said this in another tread.

If One beats Three - Ten.
    And Two beats One, but loses to Three through ten.
    who is the better fighter? Losing to someone means absolutely nothing in the sport of boxing. Styles make fights. It's who you and the man who beat you can defeat that counts.

If you line up 50 men and make Jones, hopkins, calzaghe fight all 50.
    Who would defeat them all? That's the question.

Imo, 1. Hopkins. 2. Jones. 3. Calzage. Based on accomplishments and resumes.
    and hopkins longevity is also another factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I still rank Jones higher than those guys. IMO Jones is still a top 15 ATG.

I think you that rate Joe over RJJ are fucking crazy. So victories over Lacy, Kessler, a razor thin victory over Hopkins and a win over the shell of Roy equal winning titles everywhere from MIDDLEWEIGHT to HEAVYWEIGHT?!? You have to be out of you g'damn mind. People say Roy's compedition was bad. Calzaghe's was better? Bull sh#t.
    Please. Arguing whether Roys competition is better than Joes competition is like arguing if dog sh!t tastes better than bull sh!t, they both suck. Also, calling Roy heavyweight champion because he beat Ruiz would be like calling DLH middleweight champion because he beat Sturm. The real middleweight champ was Hopkins. The real heavyweight champ was Lennox. All those guys did was pick up trinckets, not titles.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones
    Hopkins
    Toney
    who was the other guy ?
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Jones
    Hopkins
    Toney
    who was the other guy ?
    hahaha.. wow

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saying Jones' compedition was shit is unfair, because he did beat a lot of solid opposition. Sugar Boy Malinga, Merqui Sosa, Griffen, these guys were solid opposition but because their names aren't "Marvin Hagler" or "Stanley Ketchel", and because Jones iced them so easily, people just assume they were bums.

And ok, John Ruiz is not going to go down as one of the best HWs of all time, but he was a good, 240lb fighter. LIke him or not, he did beat a lot of other top HWs of the time like Rahman, Holyfield, Golota and Oquendo. Ruiz is no pushover.

Lets put it this way, how would you fancy Calzaghe's chances of moving up to cruiserweight for one fight and taking one of the "trinkets" there? Would you pick him to beat a Steve Cunningham or Tomasz Adamek? I sure as hell wouldn't, and it would be an incredible accomplishment if he were to do it, so don't try to downplay Jones' accomplishment.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by intoccabile View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Negative. Losing to a fighter doesn't suddenly mean you are below them in rank.
    Hopkins beat better opposition than calzaghe and it can be argued that he won the fight against him.
    I don't know about that. Hopkins reign at Middleweight is a list of mediocre names apart from Tito (a Welterweight who started at Junior Welter) and ODLH (a Welterweight who started at Lightweight) His best win after Middleweight was at 170lbs against Wink (a Junior Middleweight fighting 10 pounds heavier than he ever had previously) You can pick apart any fighters resume, and RJJ, Calzaghe and Hopkins are 3 in particular that you can pick apart.

Thread Information