Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who would win this if it happens 2009?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad Dawson vs Joe Calzaghe

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Chad Dawson vs Joe Calzaghe

I can see this fight happening in wales next year and it being Joe's last fight i think deep down he will want to finish his career in front of 70,000 of his fans yes he beat Roy Jones last night but is it the best way to go out. I would love him to rematch Hopkins but he says he won't rematch Hopkins so i see him fighting Chad so if this happens what do you guys think will happen?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Chad Dawson vs Joe Calzaghe

I just mentioned this, I think JC can beat him and then go out to fight Froch and call it a day.

Froch and Dawson have the best chance IMO of doing the goods on JC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know im a hater of Calzaghe but surely even to his die hard fans this would be a better fight to go out on in front of 70,000 fans or even Froch.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I want him to stop now. I actually think he has a good chin (did you see the slow mos of some of those shots he took last night) but he is open to get caught cold early on and one day he won't get up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think there was a clause in the contract to say that if RJJ won last night that there was to be a rematch, probably at Cardiff Stadium.
    That obviously didn't happen, and I doubt any rematch with RJJ would be much of a pull after the one-sided result last night.

That leaves realisticaly, Froch, Hopkins or Dawson. He's said he's already beaten Hopkins and doesn't fancy it again.

Would Chad Dawson be a big enough name to fight him if it was to be his swan song? Doubt he'll be well known to the UK man on the street.

If Froch keeps winning I can see it being him. An all UK contest in Cardiff would be a good crowd puller, and lets JC say goodbye to his home fans.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fight will happen, Joe will not retire here in the States.
    He'll retire fighting his last fight in Cardiff.

I voted BCD and why not.

I think Joes an ATG, I think he has fun in there when he's fighting and once he gets going there's no stopping him.

When he was gonna fight Kess, I said I would love to see Joe "try" and showboat vs. Kess see what happens.
    Well Joe did showboat and Joe did everything I said he would not do vs. Kess. He shut me up.

With that being said BCDs my boy and I've seen this kid go from prospect, to contender to Champ with my very own eyes. I can't help it but think he'd be overwhelmed walking into Millenium Stadium with that hostile crowd. BCDs very humble and soft spoken, I just think a scenario like that one would play a role in his head.
    But I still gotta back him on it. If he can get past that and just go in there and do his thing I think he's got a better shot at beating Joe then Hopkins or RJJ ever did. Hes actually the only fighter I'd give a shot at beating Joe.
    BCD would need to execute his plan perfectly, staying busy throwing combos. He can not go to the ropes the way he did vs. Tarver as you can see that's when Joe steals rounds.
    I can't help it think BCD does all the things that Joe needs him to do in order to win.

All in all it will def. happen and it will be a great showdown...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Chad Dawson is a great athlete, a little better of one then Joe Calzaghe, I think he isn't a guy who is easy to impose your will on because he loves a good fight(ask Glen Johnson), they had a nasty war that I think Calzaghe could appreciate. That being said ITS Joe fucking Calzaghe, He throws a ton of punches, he's quick as a rabbit, he might not hit super hard, but he gets away with it, he is difficult to hit on the outside, and He has a great jaw. I would be interested to see how Chad's body work would do against Calzaghe, I think he could keep Joe at a distance like Kessler did, but be more effective with it, he seems to have a better work rate then Kessler and he is much faster, but Kessler tried his hardest.

I almost wish this doesn't happen because how Calzaghe fights his experience is his ally, Kessler never went into deep waters and I think he couldn't cope with Calzaghe, I think Dawson maybe in 3 years would be truly ready for this version of Calzaghe, but not yet, you need to be a young veteran IMO to beat a guy like Calzaghe(A LHW Mayweather of sorts).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chad is faster has knockout power in both hands and can fight outside or inside against anyone. Chad would win this one easy and i would put money on it anytime.

The fight aginst Jones was made by the Calzaghe camp to pad a very lacking resume filled with no name fighters. Alot of europeans wonder why Calzaghe is not respected out in the states and it comes down to one thing, he ducked from the best. Manhandling an overated lacy is his one claim to an actual decent fighter in my opinion.

I dont expect him to rewrite a carrer filled with lousy choices but if he wants to go out with some status here he will have to fight Dawson atleast

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

welcome to the forum Chad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CHEACH View Post
    Chad is faster has knockout power in both hands and can fight outside or inside against anyone. Chad would win this one easy and i would put money on it anytime.

The fight aginst Jones was made by the Calzaghe camp to pad a very lacking resume filled with no name fighters. Alot of europeans wonder why Calzaghe is not respected out in the states and it comes down to one thing, he ducked from the best. Manhandling an overated lacy is his one claim to an actual decent fighter in my opinion.

I dont expect him to rewrite a carrer filled with lousy choices but if he wants to go out with some status here he will have to fight Dawson atleast
    Knockout power? I dont think hes power is anything special at world class hes knocked out no one, Chad is dangerous but i think Joe's will and determination will be to much more Bd Chad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have seen chad fight and there is nothing he does that leads me to believe he can beat Calzaghe. Calzaghe is a special fighter with underrated power. I am by no means a hugger....I was hoping Jones would have pulled out the win. I hope the pittipat and slap talk would stop though as I believe Joe has very underrated power. He had Lacy, Kessler, and Jones hurt during their fights. There is also a reason Hopkins was buying time "faking" low blows during his fight. Chad is frequently stunned by punches and I believe when he finds out Joe's slaps pack some pop he will shell up a bit and Joe will have his way.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dawson for me is a big big test for Calzaghe.

I think it's important to state that against Hopkins and Jones Jr Calzaghe was a fairly large betting favourite. He was expected to win those fights.

Against Lacy and Kessler however it was much more uncertain. A betting underdog against Lacy, and only a marginal favourite against Kessler.

A Dawson fight is another one of those 'Who knows how it would go' kind of fights.

I expect if Calzaghe rematched Hopkins he'd start a clear betting favourite.

If he fights Dawson, I reckon the odds would be much closer.

Dawson DESERVES either Hopkins or Calzaghe imo. He's the WBC and IBF world champ and he's beating the other champs to earn his titles.

Calzaghe has yet to win a belt at 175 and surely he'd like to retire a double weight world champ, a claim he cannot yet make.

If he beats Dawson he's not only a two weight champ but he's a two weight universally recognised world champ.

Beat Dawson to become THE man at 175.

And like Kessler and Lacy before him Dawson deserves that shot imo, he's the number one contender no question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Bilbo, not only a two weight world champ, but a proper undisputed two weight world champ. It's the motivation that I'd find a worry for Joe, it's not as if they've been on a collision course for some time like against Kessler or Hopkins, yet he was p[retty casual in his approach for even the Hopkins fight.

It would be bad for boxing in general as well if Dawson were to lose to one of the old guard.

These polls are rather pointless when Joe is concerned, while mick has a legitimate reason to support his man, all the haters truly believe that the ONLY fighters Joe can beat are the 45 he's already faced (not sure, think there was only one rematch) and if there was a poll of Joe Vs Pavlik/Froch/Inkin/Tsypko/Andrade/Amir Khan/Kid thunder/Bert Sugar they'd bet against him.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
    I agree with Bilbo, not only a two weight world champ, but a proper undisputed two weight world champ. It's the motivation that I'd find a worry for Joe, it's not as if they've been on a collision course for some time like against Kessler or Hopkins, yet he was p[retty casual in his approach for even the Hopkins fight.

It would be bad for boxing in general as well if Dawson were to lose to one of the old guard.

These polls are rather pointless when Joe is concerned, while mick has a legitimate reason to support his man, all the haters truly believe that the ONLY fighters Joe can beat are the 45 he's already faced (not sure, think there was only one rematch) and if there was a poll of Joe Vs Pavlik/Froch/Inkin/Tsypko/Andrade/Amir Khan/Kid thunder/Bert Sugar they'd bet against him.
    haha that is so true, much credit must go to Frank Warren and the rest of Calzaghe's advisors for not only finding him a steady diet of bums and stiff's but even more impressively getting him the fights against genuine tough opponents and setting the fight date to coincide with his opponent have a real off day.

46 straight lucky wins, how jammy is that?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Dawson for me is a big big test for Calzaghe.

I think it's important to state that against Hopkins and Jones Jr Calzaghe was a fairly large betting favourite. He was expected to win those fights.

Against Lacy and Kessler however it was much more uncertain. A betting underdog against Lacy, and only a marginal favourite against Kessler.

A Dawson fight is another one of those 'Who knows how it would go' kind of fights.

I expect if Calzaghe rematched Hopkins he'd start a clear betting favourite.

If he fights Dawson, I reckon the odds would be much closer.

Dawson DESERVES either Hopkins or Calzaghe imo. He's the WBC and IBF world champ and he's beating the other champs to earn his titles.

Calzaghe has yet to win a belt at 175 and surely he'd like to retire a double weight world champ, a claim he cannot yet make.

If he beats Dawson he's not only a two weight champ but he's a two weight universally recognised world champ.

Beat Dawson to become THE man at 175.

And like Kessler and Lacy before him Dawson deserves that shot imo, he's the number one contender no question
    Calzaghe is the linear champion. That is far more important than Dawson's IBF belt.

Dawson ONLY has that belt because off the way events unfolded after Roy gave it up when moving to heavyweight. It doesn't mean Roy wasn't the top lightheavy because he no longer had the IBF belt. That is nonsense.

Roy then lost to Tarver at lightheavy. That makes Tarver the top man. Then Johnson beat Tarver. Tarver beat Johnson. Hopkins beat Tarver. Calzaghe beat Hopkins.

To say Calzaghe needs an ALPHABET to claim he's a double weight champ is silly.

Calzaghe could have fought Clinton Woods for this very same IBF title instead of facing Hopkins for the linear title. What is the more important fight?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information