Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Is Arturo Gatti Hall of Fame worthy ?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Arturo Gatti Hall of Fame worthy ??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Arturo Gatti Hall of Fame worthy ??

This debate keeps cropping up in Ring magazine time and time again

In my opinion yes he should be for the pure entertainment value he provided (and damn near guaranteed every time he was on a bill). He is one of my top 5 favourite fighters of last 20 years.

Traditionalists point to his lack of talent and achievement at world class level to say he is not worthy.

Entry to the hall seems to have got easier over the years - I wasn't too sure about our own Barry Mcguigan when he got in - but Gatti is deserving of entry

when he becomes eligible of course

thoughts

ps have tried to create a poll but not sure if done it right
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Arturo Gatti Hall of Fame worthy ??

It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Skill.

He had one of the most memorable trilogies in boxing history and his heart was legendary. Resounding yes for me.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Hall Of Fame is a place for those who have made a real impact on the sport.

Did Arturo Gatti make an impact? Well How about 4 Fights of the year in a 7 year span, numerous runner up fights also.

He did have skills and would give a real fight to anyone who was not "elite". He also won a couple belts. Along with Holyfield, he is probably the most exciting fighter to lace on the gloves in the past 20 years.

If that does not deserve a spot, I don't know what does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yea hes HOF material. especially since he had 3 great fights with Ward that are unforgetable so yea he is.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly, there aren't many people who did more for the sport then Gatti during Gatti's era.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Exactly, there aren't many people who did more for the sport then Gatti during Gatti's era.
    Exactly. He is the epitome of the "Blood and Guts Warrior". He was more old school than old school. He has such an enormous following, that would not leave his side no matter if he won or lost. He gave everything he had to the sport and left nothing to spare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

theres no question he is, its a no brainer..

While he'll never be a sugar ray.. people say it isnt the hall of skill .. but damn.. do you know how good it takes to even be a guy who wins one world title and loses it in his first defense.. the man was very skilled..

he is just an all out legend no question, his legacy will live on forever
    Immortal Technique

ICB Guest

No he isn't everytime he stepped up against the elite he lost, his most exciting fights were against lower class opposition. Just because he was an exciting fighter means nothing.

Because if thats the case then any exciting fighter should be in the HOF. I think the HOF should be for great fighters who beat great fighters, or made many title defenses or whatever they did great to make them a HOF fighter.

Arturo Gatti i hate to say it was a good fighter but thats it, he was never close to being elite in his division. And he never beat a great fighter.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kingfrnk View Post
    yea hes HOF material. especially since he had 3 great fights with Ward that are unforgetable so yea he is.
    But what has that got to do with anything ? the fact that all his great fights come against lower class opposition like Micky Ward speaks volumes. Since when do all exciting fighters just get a free pass into HOF ?

So because Micky Ward was an exciting fighter and was in many FOTY candidates. Does he deserve to be in the HOF aswell ? because surely he done as much for the sport as Arturo Gatti did. Going by your logic ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee number 1 groupie View Post
    No he isn't everytime he stepped up against the elite he lost, his most exciting fights were against lower class opposition. Just because he was an exciting fighter means nothing.

Because if thats the case then any exciting fighter should be in the HOF. I think the HOF should be for great fighters who beat great fighters, or made many title defenses or whatever they did great to make them a HOF fighter.

Arturo Gatti i hate to say it was a good fighter but thats it, he was never close to being elite in his division. And he never beat a great fighter.
    See you are confusing the Hall Of Fame with the Hall Of Skill. Did Arturo make an impact on the sport? He sure did.

He is a two time world champion, who was involved in the most exciting fights of his era. He basically carried the sport for quite a while. He is known as the Human Highlight Reel for a reason. It is not always about being the "elite". He is and will always be larger than life. He brought so many fans to the sport. In 30 years from now, people will talk about him more than the "elites" that shared the ring with him.

The HOF is there as a token. It is there to recognize not only achievements, but also gives credit to anyone who respected the sport, promoted the sport to new heights and gave every ounce they could.

Name any current fighter who has given more to the sport? I cannot think of any.
    Last edited by Deanrw; 11-12-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw View Post

See you are confusing the Hall Of Fame with the Hall Of Skill. Did Arturo make an impact on the sport? He sure did.

He is a two time world champion, who was involved in the most exciting fights of his era. He basically carried the sport for quite a while. He is known as the Human Highlight Reel for a reason. It is not always about being the "elite". He is and will always be larger than life. He brought so many fans to the sport. In 30 years from now, people will talk about him more than the "elites" that shared the ring with him.

The HOF is there as a token. It is there to recognize not only achievements, but also gives credit to anyone who respected the sport, promoted the sport to new heights and gave every ounce they could.

Name any current fighter who has given more to the sport? I cannot think of any.
    hmm i was gonna say that. but gatti is HOF for sure he is a well known fighter he gave it all he had and even if he did lose his big fights against ivan robinson, ODLF, and PBF etc he will still be remembered a warrior in the ring and thats is wats gonna get him in the HOF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gatti was an outstanding fighter at 130. At that weight, he had skill, speed, and great power. At that weight, he didn't lose when he stepped up. He beat Tracy Paterson twice and Gab Ruelas. That's not HoF material, but at the time, he was one of the best SFW's in the world. He started losing when he stepped up in weight. He still managed to grab a belt at LWW, and he gave us some of the best battles we've seen in the last 10 years.

Two division champion. Made fights that helped keep boxing relevant. He gets my vote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But what has that got to do with anything ? the fact that all his great fights come against lower class opposition like Micky Ward speaks volumes. Since when do all exciting fighters just get a free pass into HOF ?

So because Micky Ward was an exciting fighter and was in many FOTY candidates. Does he deserve to be in the HOF aswell ? because surely he done as much for the sport as Arturo Gatti did. Going by your logic ?
    Mickey Ward didn't hold belts in two divisions. He was never top 5 in any weight-class (Gatti was at 130 and maybe for a bit at 140). Gatti was a top 10 fighter in 4 divisions.

And say what you want about Mickey Ward, after his comeback, he had some quality wins - KO'd Reggie Green, KO'd Shea Neary (in the UK), Augustus. Taking 2 of 3 from Ward was worth something, especially because he beat him pretty easily in the second two fights.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RozzySean View Post

Mickey Ward didn't hold belts in two divisions. He was never top 5 in any weight-class (Gatti was at 130 and maybe for a bit at 140). Gatti was a top 10 fighter in 4 divisions.

And say what you want about Mickey Ward, after his comeback, he had some quality wins - KO'd Reggie Green, KO'd Shea Neary (in the UK), Augustus. Taking 2 of 3 from Ward was worth something, especially because he beat him pretty easily in the second two fights.

I think Ward should be in there as well. And yes I believe any fighter that brings as much noteriety to boxing deserves to be in there.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Thread Information