Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Hatton/Malignaggi musings

Hatton is the same fighter and Floyd has done NOTHING for him stylistically. He still got hit with jabs and right hands and check hooks the same as he did against Floyd jr but it didn't matter because Paulie threw 5 right hands all night and hits like a girl.

Paulie did nothing but hold all night but Hatton has a damn cheek complaining to a ref about anybody holding.

McGirt did the right thing - Paulie had no chance of winning and was starting to get busted up.

Hatton's stamina looked better than it has in recent fights. BUT it's a lot easier to come on late when your opponent is getting weaker and you are wll on top.

Paulie = limited.
    Ricky = less limited.

I honestly believe that Bradley or Witter would beat Hatton now.

Am I being harsh? Yes Ricky looked better, but Malignaggi was always a safe fight for him IMO. The guy can't punch.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hatton/Malignaggi musings

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Hatton is the same fighter and Floyd has done NOTHING for him stylistically. He still got hit with jabs and right hands and check hooks the same as he did against Floyd jr but it didn't matter because Paulie threw 5 right hands all night and hits like a girl.

Paulie did nothing but hold all night but Hatton has a damn cheek complaining to a ref about anybody holding.

McGirt did the right thing - Paulie had no chance of winning and was starting to get busted up.

Hatton's stamina looked better than it has in recent fights. BUT it's a lot easier to come on late when your opponent is getting weaker and you are wll on top.

Paulie = limited.
    Ricky = less limited.

Am I being harsh? Yes Ricky looked better, but Malignaggi was always a safe fight for him IMO. The guy can't punch.
    This Malignaggi was supposed to a better fighter than the guy who took 5 or so rounds of Cotto.

What the hell has Witter and Bradley.....

actually forget it some people come out with some crazy opinions.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just a cut and paste job from the other thread. But it fits in here too.

Well done, Ricky!!

He did a f***ing excellent job. The first round had me edgy but it seems that Hatton was looking to prove he can still fight hard for 12 rounds and was feeling himself around. He started pretty slowly and just upped the tempo thereafter.

I think the stoppage was premature, and I say that only because I wanted to see Hatton continue to lay it on and hurt Paulie some more.

Paulie was responsible for most of the holding and fought a really stupid fight.

Hatton got him in the second and he wasnt really in it after that. Hattons jab was spot on, and you could see he was thinking all the time. And Rickys conditioning was beyond any doubt. He could have fought 15 rounds at a canter.

The Hitman is back, and he has taken the criticism on board and turned it into a positive. He has a quality pressure style and he has looked to refine it brilliantly.

Props to Ricky. Hopefully he will have a couple of weeks off and then get back to preparing his next move. It might be asking a lot but I would like to see him fight 3 times next year. Keep in shape, keep hungry and make the fights while he still has the chance to make them and win.

Marquez and Pacman would be wonderful fights. Screw DLH.

Its easy to be cynical but Paulie was Hattons closest rival in the division and he walked through him with ease. Hatton has that drive back in him and as far as Im concerned. Three rounds with Hatton and most fighters would start to get discouraged.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HOnestly, I was impressed with how Hatton stood up against the Magicman. It seems very easy to get a win over MAlignaggi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Exactly, his was a case of Paulie not having enough firepower to keep Ricky off him. Nothing surprising about this fight...I would critisize the stoppage, but Buddy knows his fighter and knows he had no way of winning though the timing seemed a bit off.
    On another note I do have to say that the British commentators were just as byass as the American commentators it was frustrating to listen to. Three of them even sounded like Lampley, Kellerman, and Letterman with accents.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post

Well done, Ricky!!

He did a f***ing excellent job. The first round had me edgy but it seems that Hatton was looking to prove he can still fight hard for 12 rounds and was feeling himself around. He started pretty slowly and just upped the tempo thereafter.

I think the stoppage was premature, and I say that only because I wanted to see Hatton continue to lay it on and hurt Paulie some more.

Paulie was responsible for most of the holding and fought a really stupid fight.

Hatton got him in the second and he wasnt really in it after that. Hattons jab was spot on, and you could see he was thinking all the time. And Rickys conditioning was beyond any doubt. He could have fought 15 rounds at a canter.

The Hitman is back, and he has taken the criticism on board and turned it into a positive. He has a quality pressure style and he has looked to refine it brilliantly.

Props to Ricky. Hopefully he will have a couple of weeks off and then get back to preparing his next move. It might be asking a lot but I would like to see him fight 3 times next year. Keep in shape, keep hungry and make the fights while he still has the chance to make them and win.

Its easy to be cynical but Paulie was Hattons closest rival in the division and he walked through him with ease. Hatton has that drive back in him and as far as Im concerned. Three rounds with Hatton and most fighters would start to get discouraged.

Bullshit.

Hatton supporters breathed a huge sigh of relief when Bradley beat Witter because Hatton has been running scared of Witter for years.

Paulie is a powderpuff who struggled to beat Ndou and Ngoudjo in his last two starts.
    Last edited by Greig; 11-23-2008 at 04:29 AM.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post

Well done, Ricky!!

Bullshit.

Hatton supporters breathed a hige sigh of relief when Bradley beat Witter because Hatton has been running scared of Witter for years.

Paulie is a powderpuff who struggled to beat Ndou and Ngoudjo un his last two starts.
    Bradley beat Witter. And Witter wouldnt beat Hatton by a long shot.

Witter is a nonentity at this stage anyway. He brings NOTHING to the table.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're right Miles - the fight won't happen. But if it did Witter has the perfect style to upset Hatton - he punches from similar types of angles to Mayweather and Paulie but with enough pop in his punches to keep Ricky honest.

But both Bradley and Witter are better opponents than Paulie - no doubt in my mind before this fight.

Instead, Hatton is going to make more money fighting Pac Man or Marquez - fights in which he will make more money and enjoy all the physical advantages. This is becoming a disturbing trend in boxing IMO, pioneered by Bernard Hopkins...

I think that Bradley or Witter would pose Hatton serious problems at the moment.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're right Miles - the fight won't happen. But if it did Witter has the perfect style to upset Hatton - he punches from similar types of angles to Mayweather and Paulie but with enough pop in his punches to keep Ricky honest.

But both Bradley and Witter are better opponents than Paulie - no doubt in my mind before this fight.

Instead, Hatton is going to make more money fighting Pac Man or Marquez - fights in which he will make more money and enjoy all the physical advantages. This is becoming a disturbing trend in boxing IMO, pioneered by Bernard Hopkins...

I think that Bradley or Witter would pose Hatton serious problems at the moment.
    I dont think Witter even deserves comment. You can make a case for Bradley though but I really dont think he will be on the radar for the time being. Doesnt bring as much cash as those other fights. If Hatton fights Oscar then that is a significant size disadvantage for Hatton himself.

But yes, Marquez and Pac are naturally smaller than Ricky. Definitely, but they are huge money fights.

I wouldnt mind seeing a Bradley fight if he can win a few more big fights and Hatton is still around say 18 months later. It could build into a lot more than it would be now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton supporters breathed a huge sigh of relief when Bradley beat Witter because Hatton has been running scared of Witter for years.
    I was in need of a good laugh, this comment provided it.
    You do a commercial and you're off the artistic roll call... forever
    --Bill Hicks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A lot of people are saying that Hatton looked better than his past couple of fights, and has even turned back the clock a bit and fighting like he did in his smarter earlier days.
    But at the same time, a lot of people are saying that he looked the exact same as he has the last couple of fights, including the one he lost to Floyd..

I personally think he looked improved... I mean, he dominated his opponent for what would have been 11 of 12 rounds without the stoppage.. He fought the fight he needed to to win, and win convincingly he did.. What would be the point in changing his style to the point where he's missing out on a lot of his strengths...

So it's hard to gauge his improvement in such a dominating one sided fight. His style clearly had it over Paulie though...
    So really, I think the most insight we can gain from what Hatton has improved on or changed, is what Hatton had to say in the Post fight interview.. He said that he was thinking a lot more during the fight. Trying to be smarter.. He let the old Hatton creep back in and he knew it (the first part of eliminating something is being aware of it).. So he was aware of the times he slipped into that coming forward recklessly mindset,,,, and can now sit back and watch the fight and reflect on it even more.. But, at the same time, he didn't want to change his style that much that he lost that constant pressure that has made him world champ and given trouble to most of the fighters who have been in there with him....

Overall, obviously he still has stuff to work on as people said.. After the first round, Mr Mayweather was stressing the importance of head movement and getting out of the way of jabs and hooks, which typified the problems he's had during his recent fights, of being to hittable in the process of pressuring his opponents.... I think with more work and attention, he can improve more on his defensive side, while keeping that relentless pressure, and in a fight with a tougher opponent, we will really see him be more flexible and show everyone that this old dog can pull out a few new tricks...

But in a fight where you're set to win 11 of 12 rounds pretty easily and convincingly, how many new tricks do you need?? So it's pretty hard to determine where Ricky is heading with his new training... But he certainly didn't look shot, lazy, slow, innacurate, extremely hittable, unconditioned etc.. He looked no less sharp than he generally ever has, and proved he still belongs in the ring with anyone at 140.... And believes and sounds confident he can take on opponents again at 147...

He may not have proved to everyone or anyone he's a whole new man ready to conquer everything, but he equally didn't prove he's on the way out or has good reason to be giving the game away either...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well obviously a lot of people disagree with me and that is cool - debate is good.

I just failed to notice any significant improvements in Hatton under Mayweather - He still led with his face too often for my liking and but for the fact that Paulie doesn't punch very hard or very often could have found himself in a much tougher fight.

I understand that Hatton fans are excited - it was a good, dominating win. But I've always thought Malignaggi was an over rated powderpuff. The bookies thought so to - installing Hatton a hot favourite. So to all you guys saying that Paulie was his only realistic challenger in the division, that is where I take exception.

I've never been impressed by Paulie Malignaggi - up til now the guys claim to fame was taking a beating from Cotto.

Does anybody believe that Hatton would beat Bradley or Witter with as much ease as he beat Paulie?
    Last edited by Greig; 11-24-2008 at 04:29 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Paulie = limited.
    Ricky = less limited.

The only thing i can agree with here is that Bradley is a real threat to Hatton.

IMO, Bradley does everything that Hatton has been working on, but better, and IMO he packs a bigger dig, is just as fit and is twice as hungry.

Im not saying he'd beat Hatton but im saying it now that i would not be suprised at all!

Hatton did look good though... He's boxing was just fine tuned. Finally adjusted to the higher level of opponent. Not since the Olivera fight have i seen him show that kind of sharpness... And that was against an old fighter so i am impressed.

Greig just to reiterate, i dont think Hatton is showing anything new but he is just showing old skills, fine tuned . Kinda like how all of a sudden Cotto was back to boxing against Mosley.... Just not as good

I never really had any doubts about the Mayweather/ Hatton partner ship and im sure they'll move forward together and work towards making Hatton even better in his next outing.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

SigmaMu Guest

I dont get all this hype about Hatton beating Malignaggi. Paulie hits like a girl and still left lumps and bruises on Hatton's pink face, just imagine what a fighter that can hit at least hit like a boy would do to Hatton Cotto beat the shit out of Malignaggi weigh drained and with one hand Hatton's win was not that spectacular, it wasnt.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As regards Paulie v. Cotto, what this fight really proved was how famished an d emmaciated Miguel was at 140.

Hatton looked very well back at Light Welter, his energy seemed to have returned and despuite the phlegm he spat between rounds he appeared far healtheir than in past fights.

In relation to the threats to Hatton.
    Bradley does seem be a nice proposition with his own high energy levels and physicality. He does however lack in expierience and I feel that Hatton could exploit his green skills. I'm not saying he's as limited as a Urango, but if Hatton evaded Malignaggi, he could slip Bradley.

Witter for me is a lost cause. This fight doesn't interest me. If Bradley beats Witter, Hatton beats him wider.

Judah is a distinct possibility and his speed and power could trouble Ricky. Assuming he has no trouble returing to 140 he could spell trouble for the Hitman.

Thread Information