Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing gym have put me on reserve list, no where else to go

Theres only 2 boxing gyms I can afford in my town, one has me on their reserve list to join and the other isnt an option and too far.
    Ive been waiting for 4 weeks now and still no word, all i want to do is train with a coach and get some quality sparring in.
    This way i can box as an amateur

Ive stopped training altogether now because I feel the training is somewhat pointless, any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing gym have put me on reserve list, no where else to go

what do you mean, RESERVE list?

Either you join or you don't.

Ask them, "do you want my fucking money or not?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash View Post

According to them they can only hold a maximum of 14 people, so until someone leaves I cant join.
    They are the only club thats part of the ABA amateur organization in my town so its even worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Von I can kind of see this,everybody I train is by appointment only. I want to donate all of my time for their money.,and some days Im too full up. The downside is I'll hit dry spells when nobody seems to want to train. It goes both ways,but I think I produce superior fighters that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We have a waiting list at my gym to weed out people who aren't committed. It's usually 3 months. I waited 6 months and on the first day my coach was taking new people I called and was there and 100% ready. I'd say a good 80-90% of people who are told they have to wait 3 months never come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"I'd say a good 80-90% of people who are told they have to wait 3 months never come back."

well would you?

Also, what's the harm in letting a kid join? No, you can't work with everyone all the time, but kids can come in a hit the bag, spar, etc.

Sorry but show me a guy who turns away membership dues and I'll show you a guy who needs the help of a business consultant.

I honestly don't get this. I mean, sure I've gone to the gym before and it was packed and couldn't get on a bag. But I either left or hung out until it cleared out a bit. I'd even help out by working mitts or footwork/shadow boxing in the mirror with the young kids and beginners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"I'd say a good 80-90% of people who are told they have to wait 3 months never come back."

well would you?

Also, what's the harm in letting a kid join? No, you can't work with everyone all the time, but kids can come in a hit the bag, spar, etc.

Sorry but show me a guy who turns away membership dues and I'll show you a guy who needs the help of a business consultant.

I honestly don't get this. I mean, sure I've gone to the gym before and it was packed and couldn't get on a bag. But I either left or hung out until it cleared out a bit. I'd even help out by working mitts or footwork/shadow boxing in the mirror with the young kids and beginners.
    You also have to consider the size of the gym,it varies from region to region.
    Sometimes you just dont have the room, let alone the time to devote to kids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well would you?

Its also pretty ridiculous that they only open twice a week

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We have 6000 sq. ft of space, a regulation size ring, all modern equipment, 3-4 coaches available at all times and can barely get people to show up. Most of those who do are for boxercise and never step in or strap on. And this, at $30-35 a month. We are aching for people who want to take it serious.

Not trying to rub it in, but just showing how much it varies depending on location or part of the world. I've heard from others like yourself and sourpuss, who have to wait it out or simply can't get in. Doesn't seem fair, that there is so much disparity...but it is what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well would you?

Well, we only have one coach and he needs to concentrate his efforts on coaching those of us who compete. He's wasted a lot of time on kids who show up for one month and then we never hear from them again. The place we train, we only have it for 2 hours/3 nights a week. So we need to get the most out of our time there. Not waste it showing some kid how to jab only for him to quit because he doesn't like doing sprints.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sourpuss View Post

well would you?

Well, we only have one coach and he needs to concentrate his efforts on coaching those of us who compete. He's wasted a lot of time on kids who show up for one month and then we never hear from them again. The place we train, we only have it for 2 hours/3 nights a week. So we need to get the most out of our time there. Not waste it showing some kid how to jab only for him to quit because he doesn't like doing sprints.
    Bingo,if your in my gym,your paying me money,you deserve my full attention. And if your acting like a fighter who deserves my full attention,I dont want to sap it off for a kid Ill never see again. I get a couple of calls a week from kids who never even show up,let alone are in it to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, seems every week I hear my coach say "Well, we got two new guys starting next week....." Then they never show. Or they show up for three days and we never see them again. It's happened a few times when people act all super gung-ho and go on about how they've always wanted to box, they can't wait to start, etc etc and then my coach spends two weeks getting them lined out and up to speed only to have them decide that they like hanging out with their buddies more than working out. And, murphy's law being what it is, it's always right before a big tournament that the coach should be focusing on us.

Thread Information