Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kelly Pavlik PPV in Feb... rip off?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Kelly Pavlik PPV in Feb... rip off?

I think we have the new dream matchup. Pavlik may have a chance against this guy. Although, Rubio holds wins over Rogelio Sanchez Rogelio Sanchez
    and
    Sherwin Davis Sherwin Davis
    just last year! Behold! The mightiest LMW to move up to MW in all history!

Wow.

This could be quite a fight in the making.

How will Pavlik deal with Rubio's style?? I hear this guy uses a lot of tape on his boxing gloves, and he uses his legs to move around the ring. Anyone know anything else about this guy?

Thoughts? Concerns? Does Pavlik still have what it takes?
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kelly Pavlik PPV in Feb... rip off?

I can't believe it's going to be a PPV. If they thought the Hopkins numbers were disappointing, just wait for these figures to roll in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto-Jennings
    Pavlik-Rubio

My ass should that be PPV for you guys.

At least we get it free in England. WAR JENNINGS!!!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is going to be a PPV split between 2 locations, the othe main event is the Cotto fight.

From my understanding they are going to show 2 of the undercards from the Cotto fight at MSG, then the Cotto fight, and then switch over to the Pavlik fight in Youngstown.

Anyone going to these fights (me to Pavlik since it's 20 minutes away) will be able to see the other main event, because they will show them live on the big screens of each venue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PPV is a little too much there only tune up fights anyway except for pavlik because hes makin a defense. im expecting Cotto and Pavlik to win. but fukk PPV though.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Top Rank decided to do an independent PPV, just like they do for Chavez Jr, and all those Latin Fury PPV's.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ppv ??!!! Hillarious !! Good luck with that. I heard john is fighting dave in section 286 after this event, that's on ppv also.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    This is going to be a PPV split between 2 locations, the othe main event is the Cotto fight.

From my understanding they are going to show 2 of the undercards from the Cotto fight at MSG, then the Cotto fight, and then switch over to the Pavlik fight in Youngstown.

Anyone going to these fights (me to Pavlik since it's 20 minutes away) will be able to see the other main event, because they will show them live on the big screens of each venue.
    They're both gimme fights, which is why I would never pay PPV prices for them. I can understand die-hard fans wanting to see their fighter come back from a loss, but putting in on PPV is ridiculous and it's a clear example of the type of policies which are killing boxing and have been for a long time...

You're going to the Pavlik fight? That'll be great, regardless of the opposition. I've still never seen a live fight. I thought about going to see Ishe Smith - Joel Julio in Vancouver, but good tickets were just too expensive to justify. I was definitly going to go see Pac fight in Van. when that was being discussed (I *think* he was supposed to be fighting Valero or maybe Soto, I could be wrong though), I would've payed a significant amount of money for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Chevy Center will be a mad house!!! Rubio better bring an army.
    Did we all forget how great Cotto is? He is going to really hurt Jennings. Who in the hell is Jennings and who has he fought. I'm just excited to see Cotto back.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its times like this,when they start playing the boxing public as fools,that I start wishing for upsets.Rubio is a capable sort but in over his head with Pavs power and his own lack of defence.

Just me but way to many 'showcase' fight shaping up lately ??

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rubio's not bad, he has genuine power to match Pavlik's and he makes for very exciting fights. I always tune in to Rubio's fights. That being said it's definately not PPV worthy.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavlik-Rubio alone is not worth PPV, same can be said for Cotto-Jennings. The fact that its a co-feature is worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm telling you, these PPVs are OUT OF CONTROL!!! Sooner or later even Larry Merchant's ramblings will be on PPV. Why should the viewing public have to pay money to watch two guys who just got their ass whooped? Get the fuck outta here...

On cards like this Arum is just hoping for enough buys (like 150k) to pay for Cotto and Pavlik's guarantees. These guys got career high paychecks for their last fight, they LOST them, and they STILL demand the same paychecks. Pavlik got a $3 Million dollar guarantee for fighting Hopkins, Cotto got a $3 Million dollar guarantee (which I heard went to like 6 Million total after the PPV revenue split) for fighting Tony. Both the guys lost. Cotto's apparently getting a $3 Million guarantee for fighting Jennings and Pavlik probably will get the same amount. These are much lower profile fights and the fighters demand the same amount of money. This is why things are on PPV. Plus, promoters take a good deal of the pot too. The networks don't wanna pay for fights like Rubio and Jennings so Arum has gotta come up with the money somehow. Arum could get the money if Pavlik and Cotto fought harder opponents but he doesn't wanna do that right after two losses. So he has to throw this thing on PPV. The system now is garbage. Everyone is raping the system while they can. But with these shitty HBO rating, boxing better hope that HBO continues to pump the same amount of money into the sport each year, or we're all fucked.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arum had little choice but to take the card to PPV because neither HBO nor Showtime had an interest in purchasing it. He could have found better opponents, but these are two of the biggest attractions in his stable and both are coming off losses, so he understandably wants to give them confidence building fights. I actually think Rubio-Pavlik could be an entertaining scrap, though I would expect a Pavlik win by mid-rounds stoppage. Cotto should make easy work of Jennings. Whether or not it's a rip-off will depend on the price and the quality of the undercard fights. If it's priced at something like $34.95 and has two interesting undercard bouts, then it could be worth it. If it's your typical $49.95 card Arum will be lucky to get 100,000 buys. Hell, Pavlik-Hopkins only did 190,000.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rubio is as slow as Christmas morning. I think Pavlik will KO him.

Thread Information