Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Winkie Wright v. Paul Williams

Winkie is in a lot of rumors these days, but Greg Leon at Boxing Talk is saying that Paul Williams and Winkie Wright have been in talks for a fight on March 14th BOXINGTALK.

Interesting match-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Winkie Wright v. Paul Williams

At what class?
    Oops

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good question. Junior Middleweight/middleweight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont see Winky gettin down to Junior Middleweight... not a chance
    dont Fuck with the chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Winkie is in a lot of rumors these days, but Greg Leon at Boxing Talk is saying that Paul Williams and Winkie Wright have been in talks for a fight on March 14th BOXINGTALK.

Interesting match-up.
    Although I have heard that rumor at other more reputable sites, be careful, Greg Leon has a tendency to make-up his own rumors.

ICB Guest

I think this is a horrible style match up for Winky Wright, Paul Williams has a great variety of punches. He has great workrate a solid jab when he uses it, and when he does use his physical attributes he is very tough to beat.

I just really don't see how Winky Wright wins this, i think Paul Williams will put him in a shell. And Winky Wright will counter effectively at times, but he doesn't have enough fire power to keep Paul Williams off him.

He doesn't move well enough anymore and his famous right jab, isn't going to be effective against a guy with an 82 inch reach, i think Paul Williams wins a commanding UD sending Winky Wright into retirement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Paul Williams has a solid jab? SInce when? Both have a high workrate, but WInky is bigger, stronger, and far harder to hit. I think he is a nightmare for Williams unless he has become too old and complacent to fight. If he is as sharp as he was against Quartey and Hopkins then Williams is fucked against him. THat jab would eat WIlliams up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think everyone expects to see the old Winky right in his next fight. I think going up in weight for B-Hop, his age, ring years, inactivity, possible lack of motivation, leads me to believe Winky will show up looking past it and will look rusty if he comes back and fights a good name with no tune up.
    Only Forum Amature With Well Over 2000 Posts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

Interesting match-up.
    It is indeed an interesting match-up, but the link doesnt actually say they have been in talks? It merely states that Winky will return (on HBO) on that date, and then it speculates that the opponent could be Paul Williams?

Pretty easy for him to throw speculation like this out, and then finish off by saying 'remember where you heard it first'.

Anyway, FWIW the Kessler-camp were talking openly (last week) about fighting on HBO on that very date [it sounded like the arrangements were pretty much done, but they didnt want to disclose the opponent], and Dan Rafael has been mentioning talks between the Kessler and the Winky camps. This doesnt mean that they will fight each other on HBO 3/14 - there are rumours of a February fight with Froch - but nothing in the link you posted suggested anything against the scenario.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The sort of fight winky could actually get a shock win from.

For all williams strength and reach theres still big question marks about his tactical prowess and wright will test him to the limit on that.

Still kinda puzzled as to how this fight can go down though.

Williams has just gone up to 154 and winkys last few fights have been fought at 175.

No way do i see wright coming down to 154 which begs the question would PW be willing to go up again in such a short space of time and is winky able to still make 160??
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

For all williams strength and reach theres still big question marks about his tactical prowess and wright will test him to the limit on that.

Williams has just gone up to 154 and winkys last few fights have been fought at 175.

No way do i see wright coming down to 154 which begs the question would PW be willing to go up again in such a short space of time and is winky able to still make 160??
    I thought williams fought at 160? i could be wrong.. anyway, it seems PW is all over the place these days as far as weight classes go, and i don't see him being afraid to go up somewhere around 165, so possibly a catch weight? If winky can lose the weight, then i can see this happening somewhere around that weight.. Although, i remember hearing that Winky puffs up to almost 200 lbs when he's not training..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

I thought williams fought at 160? i could be wrong.. anyway, it seems PW is all over the place these days as far as weight classes go, and i don't see him being afraid to go up somewhere around 165, so possibly a catch weight? If winky can lose the weight, then i can see this happening somewhere around that weight.. Although, i remember hearing that Winky puffs up to almost 200 lbs when he's not training..
    nope ur right, but the reason he can make weight so well is because hes all upper body so its much easier for him.

but anyway this is not a good comeback fight for winky. Paul has too much workrate and power to go along with it as for his defense its a bit leaky but he makes up for it by his other skills.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah lets all doubt Winky. Lets get on the queer train choo choo. HELL NO. You bastards.

Winky is a real boxer. Paul will be in trouble with a man as talented AND big as old Wink.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post
    Yeah lets all doubt Winky. Lets get on the queer train choo choo. HELL NO. You bastards.

Winky is a real boxer. Paul will be in trouble with a man as talented AND big as old Wink.
    If PW didn't lose to Quintana, i'd probably lean a little more in his direction on this fight.. I only say that because Quintana is pretty orthodox, and it has been shown that that type of fighter can beat PW.. If Winky comes into the fight in great shape, able to go 12 rounds, then I give him the edge.. He has dealt with much more power than PW, so i don't think that's the factor, it's just more of how his defense holds up.. he's obviously one of the best defensive boxers to ever step into a ring, but PW throws a lot of angles at you, and turns you and if Wink can keep up with that and counter effectively then i see a UD in the making..

Thread Information