Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How well known was Lennox Lewis

How well known was Lennox Lewis? Like did normal sports fans know who he was? I'm asking this because I often get the impression that Lennox was never really well known and that not alot of people outside boxing had heard of him atleast in the US, even though he was such a good boxer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How well known was Lennox Lewis

As far as Im aware Lennox was up there with Tyson , Holyfield and Oscar and one of the most well known boxers in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

known through out the world no doubt...
    dont Fuck with the chuck

SigmaMu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ararghhh View Post
    How well known was Lennox Lewis? Like did normal sports fans know who he was? I'm asking this because I often get the impression that Lennox was never really well known and that not alot of people outside boxing had heard of him atleast in the US, even though he was such a good boxer.
    I began hearing about Lewis only more because of Tyson. Lewis is very popular today but back in the day, Lewis was only known by fans of the sport. He was no John Lennon that's for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lennox Lewis was a household name in the US by the late 1990's during his fights with Holyfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First saw him on TV as an amateur boxer representing Jamaica. Then the next time was in the Olympics, he was representing Canada! I don't remember which one though', he beat Riddick Bowe in the gold medal match.

He then turned professional, boxing out of UK! Go figure... It was too confusing to me regarding his nationality, but it is hard not remember this guy, by his sheer size alone. Add to that the great skill, unique to that size.... There weren’t a lot of 6'5" boxers then with decent musculature and athleticism, even now!

I believe he is well known. Anyone following sports surely would! He was a champion for a considerable length of time, and those exposures surely give him due name recognition!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe he was well known, anyone who followed any sports likely knew who he was, he was better known in the US than the Klitschkos are now that's for sure.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

ICB Guest

He was well known over here in the UK everyone was talking about him all the time, was never really a fan of his style at times but i do enjoy watching some of his fights against Gary Mason, Andrew Golota, Shannon Briggs, Evander Holyfield 2, Vitali Klitschko, Michael Grant, Ray Mercer, Tommy Morrison.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I first heard of him in the lead up to the Olympics, when he was touted as a very good medal candidate for Canada. After winning the gold, I'd say he was always well known here, anyone who had any interest at all in boxing paid attention to his career. His professional development was reported in the Canadian sports pages, and he was though of as a Canadian, even though he moved to England when he turned pro. There is no doubt who Canada favored when it came to the Holyfield bouts.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lennox was very well known but unappreciated because he was perceived to be too laid back, quiet and sometimes overly cautious. He is more respected after he retired.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nonito Donaire View Post
    He was well known over here in the UK everyone was talking about him all the time, was never really a fan of his style at times but i do enjoy watching some of his fights against Gary Mason, Andrew Golota, Shannon Briggs, Evander Holyfield 2, Vitali Klitschko, Michael Grant, Ray Mercer, Tommy Morrison.
    Blimey,

for not being a fan of his he sure did/does give you plenty of enjoyable fights
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonito Donaire View Post
    Blimey,

for not being a fan of his he sure did/does give you plenty of enjoyable fights
    Well i wouldn't say i dislike him but im certainly not a fan of his, and at times his style was like watching paint dry. But i have to admit those fights above i don't see how anyone could dislike. There mixture of boxing masterclasses, quick KO's, wars.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    I first heard of him in the lead up to the Olympics, when he was touted as a very good medal candidate for Canada. After winning the gold, I'd say he was always well known here, anyone who had any interest at all in boxing paid attention to his career. His professional development was reported in the Canadian sports pages, and he was though of as a Canadian, even though he moved to England when he turned pro. There is no doubt who Canada favored when it came to the Holyfield bouts.
    Decided to go back to his place of birth
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think lennox wasn't as know in the early days as much as other fighters ,i think because he was fighting out of great Britain and repin Canada in the beginning maybe Brit fans were kind of here nor there with him, he was a great fighter as we all know "the sweet science of the sport" as he always said. i think he should have fought Tyson at an earlier stage because i believe it would be a tough fight for Tyson as he never really fought a young contender in the beginning all the people he beat were big adult men with years of professional experience a fight with lennox would have made lennox, i mean who did we have really in Britain back then, FRANK BRUNO, GARY MASON, HERBIE HIDE, lennox would have brought the division home, not saying Tyson wasn't good, he's my favorite fighter, but lennox had a special kind of something, he made his mark that's all that matters!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    Decided to go back to his place of birth
    OK I could say he learned his chops in Canada, but really, whatever. Claim a victory on a technicality if it makes you feel better.

Obviously he thought England would serve him better as a pro.

Thread Information