Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Will Hopkins become a commentator one day?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Will Hopkins become a commentator one day?

I was really impressed, I haven't seen him be a commentator before, but he was much more eloquent than I ever imagined he would be, I've only seen him after fights and in press conferences where he uses street slang, and he spoke really well on Friday Night Fights, but his role was really limited to answering stupid questions by the ESPN boxing crew. I would love to seem him by a colour commentator for HBO, nobody knows the sport better than him, he is a guy who could do it all in the ring, and I think he would have better understanding than guys like Roy Jones Jr of the brawlers because Hopkins was part brawler earlier on, and he would also be great at talking about the technical side of the sport because nobody mastered the technical side of boxing more than him.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Will Hopkins become a commentator one day?

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I was really impressed, I haven't seen him be a commentator before, but he was much more eloquent than I ever imagined he would be, I've only seen him after fights and in press conferences where he uses street slang, and he spoke really well on Friday Night Fights, but his role was really limited to answering stupid questions by the ESPN boxing crew. I would love to seem him by a colour commentator for HBO, nobody knows the sport better than him, he is a guy who could do it all in the ring, and I think he would have better understanding than guys like Roy Jones Jr of the brawlers because Hopkins was part brawler earlier on, and he would also be great at talking about the technical side of the sport because nobody mastered the technical side of boxing more than him.
    Other than the Margarito/Mayorga mess-up, I agree he did a good job. Did you think he showed a little bias toward GBP fighters in his predictions?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's already been hired by ESPN for this season...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No doubt, and am sure Bernard Hopkins will be great at it.

He handles the media very well, and his expressive personlity bodes well, if and when he does go full time as a boxing analsyt for HBO.

He can even excel at ESPN (thanks, CutMeMick!), getting that gig, he'll save me from seeing too much of Max Kellerman!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is no doubt in my mind that Hopkins is an intelligent man who can be a great commentator, but I have a feeling that his ego would cloud what's going on in the ring in front of him, he may go off on tangents about how he did something or how this fighter is doing it wrong because he's not doing what he did etc.

But it could work out if he left all that at home.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crap. I didn't realize FNF was back on. I would have said he would be a commentator on ESPN. His relationship with HBO is a little too adversarial, like the enemy you grow to love. I also see Hopkins becoming a trainer at some point- I know he used to spar with his nephew.
    Oops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OnixAA View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind that Hopkins is an intelligent man who can be a great commentator, but I have a feeling that his ego would cloud what's going on in the ring in front of him, he may go off on tangents about how he did something or how this fighter is doing it wrong because he's not doing what he did etc.

But it could work out if he left all that at home.
    I don't think so, I think he knows how to check his ego at the door, I mean he isn't anymore cocky than Roy Jones, and Roy was a really good commentator.

As for Max Kellerman, he is one of the best boxing commentators for actually seeing it like it is. Guys like Larry Merchant may be controversial, and Jim Lamphley is obviously the voice of boxing, but Max knows way more about the sport, he is enthusiatic, and he truly loves the sport. The rest of the HBO team is just there for a pay check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't think Hopkins was that good. I dont think he has the vocabulary for the job.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As Mick said, he seems to be on that path.

But I dont think I could ever enjoy listening to Hopkins. I dont think boxers make good commentators in general. Foreman was the archetype boxing commentator. So bad. Jones Jr was okay in spots but didnt grow.

In response to Taeth, I find Kellerman pretty lame. He seems like an over enthusiastic schoolboy all too often. Now, Larry Merchant is cool. Has a really good boxing brain on him and would doubtlessly look stupid laced up. As any good commentator should. Boxing will be a lesser thing without him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think one of the best guest analysts they had on was Nate Campbell. He really knows his game and seems like a really genuine guy. Foreman was good.
    I think all boxers show that side of "this is how I would do it" when they see a fight in front of them. I get so bored listening to Lennox "he needs to work the jab" "if he would pump his left hand out there he could keep the guy still" ALWAYS harping on the damn jab. I mean, I get it. You made a career out of a beautiful jab, but not everyone has your physique!
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Thread Information