Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Speedbag

I have one but rarely use it. I mastered it a while ago but it doesn't simulate anything in boxing. Is there any use to the speedbag or should I just keep doing the double-end bag?? Thnx guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Speedbag

The best time to hit it is when a cute chick walks into the gym. Aside form that, I like to get the joints loose with it/work a sweat, and work the shoulders a bit. But generally speaking I think there are better ways to spend your training time.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash View Post
    The best time to hit it is when a cute chick walks into the gym. Aside form that, I like to get the joints loose with it/work a sweat, and work the shoulders a bit. But generally speaking I think there are better ways to spend your training time.
    aha was gong to say exactly that. Unfortunately that is rare where I am and the gym is fulla smelly old dudes.

I don't use it much, but it is sort of fun to learn how to make it dance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Listen, you don't have to hit it in the typical bicycle motion that you see everyone do. The speed bag is most misused and misunderstood pieces of kit that you see in a boxing gym but it doesn't have to be. Practice throwing your punches as well as setting up your punches on the bag.

For starters, keep the bag in motion with your jab, then when you can do that add a straight right to the mix. Next you would learn how to set up your punches with a step. For instance, step to the right and come back with a right cross, or step to the left and throw a left hook, all the while shifting your weight as you throw your punches. Be patient at first, you don't always have to hit it on the first rebound.

When you got that all down, start moving around the bag in a small arc working the same combinations that you'd use on an opponent. It's a good idea to finish your combinations with a jab or sometimes a left hook to get back into position. You can also step off to the side to avoid an opponent's counter. There is so much more that you can do with it too. However you train you need to develop good habits, don't let your guard down, don't back straight out, or stand still to admire your work. The best advice is that no matter what you do, always train with an opponent in mind.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 02-11-2009 at 07:59 PM.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    Listen, you don't have to hit it in the typical bicycle motion that you see everyone do. The speed bag is most misused and misunderstood pieces of kit that you see in a boxing gym but it doesn't have to be. Practice throwing your punches as well as setting up your punches on the bag.

For starters, keep the bag in motion with your jab, then when you can do that add a straight right to the mix. Next you would learn how to set up your punches with a step. For instance, step to the right and come back with a right cross, or step to the left and throw a left hook, all the while shifting your weight as you throw your punches. Be patient at first, you don't always have to hit it on the first rebound.

When you got that all down, start moving around the bag in a small arc working the same combinations that you'd use on an opponent. It's a good idea to finish your combinations with a jab or sometimes a left hook to get back into position. You can also step off to the side to avoid an opponent's counter. There is so much more that you can do with it too. However you train you need to develop good habits, don't let your guard down, don't back straight out, or stand still to admire your work. The best advice is that no matter what you do, always train with an opponent in mind.
    The first gym that I trained at taught me to use the speedbag like this. I never really mastered it fully, but I incorporate some of these principles into my speedbag routine. I try to alternate between the typical "bicycle" way and getting a rhythm with my a jab and straight right. Generally, I enjoy using it at the end of the workout for a final shoulder burnout. I also find that that helps build rhythm for punching on the balls of my toes.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Serious question. This is one of several recent threads I've seen on speed bags and I've never jumped in because really I didn't have much to add. But the question...

If you have to remove something from your routine, a piece of equipment or exercise due to maximizing your time at the gym for efficiency...what would it be? In my case it was the speed bag. I'm not saying it was the right choice, but it seemed it to me. Once the novelty of learning it wore off, I didn't feel it did that much.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post

Yep.

You can use, jabs, cross, overhand,hooks. It develops a sense of rhythm and gets a nice burn in the shoudlers at the end of a workout.

Yes there are other things you can do for a similar effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The best time to hit it is when a cute chick walks into the gym.
    yup I'm guilty

Chris Nagel - I'll try that

ps. how do you throw uppercuts on one of them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Serious question. This is one of several recent threads I've seen on speed bags and I've never jumped in because really I didn't have much to add. But the question...

If you have to remove something from your routine, a piece of equipment or exercise due to maximizing your time at the gym for efficiency...what would it be? In my case it was the speed bag. I'm not saying it was the right choice, but it seemed it to me. Once the novelty of learning it wore off, I didn't feel it did that much.
    There is no right or wrong answer, just people's opinions. In my opinion, the speedbag is a very good tool for timing punches.

If you feel that you can do better without it, then don't use the speedbag. When you train it's not about how long you train, it's how INTENSE you train.

Are you really benefiting yourself when you're hitting the speed bag with the outlook of "I don't like to use the speedbag"? If that's your outlook, don't use the speedbag, because you're just wasting your time.

The speedbag is a rhythm thing, and a timing thing. And accuracy too. It takes good timing and accuracy to hit the speed bag on its way back when you use real punches. Mix it in with a left hook and now you have one hell of a timing exercise. Think of the speedbag as someone's head bobbing back and forth. Move around the speedbag, don't just stand in one spot. Get different angles and really HIT IT! You will miss a lot at first but you will start to get more accurate. But make sure you are using correct form and that you are not sacrificing speed for power. When you can get the balance right, then you are progressing.

And I always use a straight (jab or cross) to get the speedball back into position after a hook. I only use the bicycle motion to get a feel of how the bag bounces back and forth first. Once I get it, I start expanding into more involving tasks like throwing real combinations as I mentioned above.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Balboa View Post
    The best time to hit it is when a cute chick walks into the gym.
    yup I'm guilty

Chris Nagel - I'll try that

ps. how do you throw uppercuts on one of them?
    You can throw uppercuts at a speed bag, although I don't recommend it. While the bag is slowing down, or after hitting the bag awkward you can pin the bag to the platform with an uppercut. Personally I don't how it feels, as the conditions of landing the uppercut on a speed bag is different than in the ring.

It'd better to work on the uppercut with a good pads man and actually practicing different scenarios in which you'd get the chance to land an uppercut. This practice in shadowboxing, eventually getting it right in sparring.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The most important thing to do in the Gym is Think Constructive, dont see it much
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Talking Re: Speedbag

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    The most important thing to do in the Gym is Think Constructive, dont see it much

I work my way to the back of the bags or down the far end of the room so I can work on my secret plans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have some serious doubt to the fact that you "Mastered" it a while back.
    and yes it does add a lot to a boxers workout. it is great to warm up on, but besides that it increases hand speed, timing, coordination, hand eye, footwork (if used properly), shoulder stamina, there are even speed bag techniques that show you if you are throwing your punches properly. get out there and learn what the bag is useful for before assuming you have mastered it and move on. check out youtube, there are some awesome speedbag videos on there

Thread Information