Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why should steroids be considered not as bad as load wraps?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why should steroids be considered not as bad as load wraps?

Quote Originally Posted by Althugz View Post
    I agree with you to some extent.

However, people need to realise exactly what it was that Shane Mosely took instead of just buying into media bullshit.

Shane Mosely took EPO. This is something that cyclists usually take so that they can have more oxygen in their blood. This leads to them lasting longer and not fatiguing aerobically as fast as they normally would.

EPO does NOT make you hit harder (which I think you realise anyway) but I see your point about being fresher later in the fight.

However, what Shane took was not your ''testosterone boosting, temper tantrum, incredible hulk type power'' steroids, which is a misconception everyone seems to have about them.

What was found in Roy Jones system was that type of steroid but who can no for sure if any fighter is telling the truth? Jones said he bought an over the counter supplement and it was contained in that.

Fact is, at the elite level, steroids are so prevalent in sport that I'd be shocked if many fighters aren't on them.

The cyclist who got caught in the olympics said it best. I think it was an Italian guy who got caught with EPO - ''That's strange. I've been taking this the whole time and passed many tests while taking it''

It's part of everyday routine to these athletes. The difference between getting paid and not.

Also in the U.S, steroids are in the same band as cocaine and heroin which doesn't exactly help the way they're percieved. Steroids are medically used to preserve life and improve the quality of life but few people look at them that way. Blame the media for that.

Anyway, going off topic. Should Shane be seen as bad as Margarito for what he did? IMO no he shouldn't. Shane's EPO use could be seen as dedication to improve himself and be able to train even harder leading up to a fight. (I'm ready to accept that some may call that analagy BS)

Margarito was not trying to improve himself, improve his fitness or his skills. He was trying to cheat and take the biggest shortcut a boxer can take. Load his gloves so that he damages his opponent more and the fight doesn't last as long and/or he wouldn't need to improve his punch power/fitness/technique etc

I just hate seeing people crucified for steroids when most of the sporting world is doing it and then everyone gets on their high horse. Sure, you can make an example of someone but if you're that keen to kick steroids out of sports then you need to have weekly or even daily tests on ALL athletes...and this will obviously never happen.
    Thank you. I been reading that bullshiit for to damn long. I recently had to break the difference to some poor misguided soul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who would you rather get hit in the face by, a guy on steroids or a guy with brass knuckles?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both are cheating, and neither should be looked upon favorably (although I'm not niave, I know most fighters and athletes use them).

I think the distinction lies in the fact that while steroids can be used to enhance a fighter physically, "loaded" gloves are bringing a foreign weapon into the ring with you. Even without steroids, the playing field will never be even because there are SO MANY supplements out there now that can mimmick the affects of steroids anyway.

I see a huge difference in using performance enhancers and loading your gloves. One is cheating, the other is criminal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Without turning all TM on this.. would you rather fight someone coked off their nut or fight someone with a baseball bat?

It's a no brainer.
    Maybe you should try fihgting somebody coked off their nut. I am doing security as a part time job, and we work the police and a guy who used to be on the riot unit was telling me one time this guy who was 160 pounds, fought evenly with 4 cops all over 200 pounds all using their knightsticks, pepper spray, tazors, and like I said he was holding his own. There isn't a single person who would stand a chance with a baseball bat against that.

Now steroids aren't the same being coked up, and I am aware of that.

Also how can people deny the difference steroids make in performance? Like at Michael Johnson, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark Macguire. Especially the guys in baseball where hand-eye coordination, power, and speed play a factor. Hitting a baseball is suppose to be the toughest thing to do in sports, and look how dramatically. If it can change good hitters into the best hitters in the history of the game, and doubling their stats, it must do amazing things for boxers. Obviously, it would never make Arturo Gatti into Floyd Mayweather, but give it to a good fighter, and it would give them that edge that makes all the difference.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well i say loaded wraps because steriods can have different effects on people as for the people saying Tony had bricks in his hands well if he did Dont you think Williams and Clotty would of been busted up i mean starting to question if were going to say he was using warps then why were there faces not torn buy it and also i wish the just tell us what is was because if its not plaster and somthing elese like to have some proof on how much more damage it does then say the human hand like to know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not leaning into any side but steroids is supposed to be performance enhancement while loaded wraps' purpose is for damage enhancement. As a fight fan I would rather see fighters giving their best performance than inflicting possible fatal damage to somebody. It is indeed unfair to have any significant unjust advantage whatever way it is. But take it this way, what if both fighters have the right to take these performance enhancements? who will benefit? US. FANS. we won't see fighters gassed, unconditioned for a full fight. Unlike loaded wraps, no matter how well-conditioned a fighter is if he's getting hit by foreign objects that conditioning is definetely neutralized. and it is again, us fans who suffer. So, to me as long as these 'steroids' purposes is to 'sustain better cardio strength and not punching power', I'm cool with it.
    Afterall Boxing ain't Tour de France.
    An empty can is always noisy.

Thread Information