Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Pacquiao have any experience fighting with his back on the ropes?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Does Pacquiao have any experience fighting with his back on the ropes?

I've been thinking of the upcoming Pacquiao-Hatton fight and comparing it to the Floyd-Hatton fight.

I gave Ricky almost no chance to beat Floyd, and my logic was simple: I didn't see a single spot in the ring where Ricky could beat Floyd.

In the center of the ring, Floyd would be dominant. Hatton fans were banking on Ricky's ability to push him to the ropes, but having watched Floyd over the years, I knew that Floyd knew how to protect himself on the ropes and throw quick counters. So even when Ricky did push Floyd's back against the ropes, he wasn't able to get many effective shots in.

Pacquiao should also be able to outquick Hatton in the center of the ring.

But when Ricky is able to push him to the ropes, how will Pacquiao fare? I ask because I can't think of a single instance where Pacquiao has been forced to fight with his back to the ropes.

SigmaMu Guest

Default Re: Does Pacquiao have any experience fighting with his back on the ropes?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    I've been thinking of the upcoming Pacquiao-Hatton fight and comparing it to the Floyd-Hatton fight.

I gave Ricky almost no chance to beat Floyd, and my logic was simple: I didn't see a single spot in the ring where Ricky could beat Floyd.

In the center of the ring, Floyd would be dominant. Hatton fans were banking on Ricky's ability to push him to the ropes, but having watched Floyd over the years, I knew that Floyd knew how to protect himself on the ropes and throw quick counters. So even when Ricky did push Floyd's back against the ropes, he wasn't able to get many effective shots in.

Pacquiao should also be able to outquick Hatton in the center of the ring.

But when Ricky is able to push him to the ropes, how will Pacquiao fare? I ask because I can't think of a single instance where Pacquiao has been forced to fight with his back to the ropes.
    In all fairness to Hatton, Floyd took away anthting Ricky had by just ducking below the waist and having Cortez stop the action. Floyd took the punk biatch way out of this fight and landed one LUCKY punch (which he threw all night long) Pac will let Hatton fight more and it should be a very good match and not a borefest like Hatton/PBF. Again, I think Cortez was in PBF's money pocket and or vice versa.

XaduBoxer Guest

Default Re: Does Pacquiao have any experience fighting with his back on the ropes?

PAC can be driven back and might be glued to the ropes but it only happens for a few seconds... PAC is too quick on his foot and can easily move to either side...

Just be careful when you try to corner PAC... That's where he's very dangerous and he will act like a cornered tiger... We saw this in the Morales 3rd fight...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont think so. when he does get cornerd or backed against the ropes he either gets out quickly or flurries back. but hatton likes pressuring and will be doing it all night until somebody gets ktfo. hopefully it will be Pac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rd 2 Pac vs EM 3, EM attacks, Pac backs up makes EM missed then KaBOOM!!! One counter left & Morales was down.

Pac-MAB1... Pac was Dominating but MAB tried to attact but Pac's Good head & Body movement makes MAB Missed his shots.

Pac-Velasquez. Velasquez walking in them Boom one right hook spells doom & Pac finishes Velasquez.

See... Pac can counter even when backing up. It's just you guys are too used to seeing Pac in his forward attacks that you are becoming blind not to see the other aspects of Pac 's game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Re: Does Pacquiao have any experience fighting with his back on the ropes?

With an offence as great as Manny's its very rare that his back will ever be against a rope!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SaddoBoxer View Post
    Just be careful when you try to corner PAC... That's where he's very dangerous and he will act like a cornered tiger... We saw this in the Morales 3rd fight...
    OK, but Morales is a completely different fighter than Hatton. When Morales backed Pac to the ropes, Morales was standing upright at a slight distance and letting his hands go.

Hatton likes to bull his opponents into the ropes, clinch them, lean on them, etc. True "infighting." It's a completely different thing, and presents a different challenge to Pacquiao.

XaduBoxer Guest

OK, but Morales is a completely different fighter than Hatton. When Morales backed Pac to the ropes, Morales was standing upright at a slight distance and letting his hands go.

Hatton likes to bull his opponents into the ropes, clinch them, lean on them, etc. True "infighting." It's a completely different thing, and presents a different challenge to Pacquiao.
    PAC will try to avoid and evade any intention by his opponent to push him to the ropes... but if he's cornered, his instincts is to fight back like a cornered cat... very dangerous...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PAC will try to avoid and evade any intention by his opponent to push him to the ropes... but if he's cornered, his instincts is to fight back like a cornered cat... very dangerous...
    I'm not questioning his instincts.

What I was hoping to start with this thread is a discussion on whether or not Pacquiao has ever faced an opponent who physically bulled him to the ropes and leaned on him the way Hatton will attempt to do.

I think it's an important element of the fight that hasn't been discussed enough.

I favor Pacquiao to win, but I do think there are unanswered questions about his ability to deal with an opponent who will attempt to be very physical in close quarters with him.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Will Hatton be allowed to do it? If the ref keeps breaking them and Manny does what Floyd did and ducks below the waist a lot it could be another long night for Ricky. I'm sure Vegas would rather have Manny Mayweather rather than a Mayweather Hatton rerun, so maybe we get another Joe Cortez-style refereeing performance. If that's the case Manny will only have to deal with being swarmed a few times in the fight.

XaduBoxer Guest

I'm not questioning his instincts.

What I was hoping to start with this thread is a discussion on whether or not Pacquiao has ever faced an opponent who physically bulled him to the ropes and leaned on him the way Hatton will attempt to do.

I think it's an important element of the fight that hasn't been discussed enough.

I favor Pacquiao to win, but I do think there are unanswered questions about his ability to deal with an opponent who will attempt to be very physical in close quarters with him.
    If your intention is to bully PAC, you must have the size (or length) to push him and the speed to corner him... Talking about size, I don't consider Hatton having an advantage in this department... In fact, it's PAC who enjoys a considerable reach advantage over Hatton... They're just about evenly sized... Now about speed, it's very obvious PAC has the big advantage... So, I don't really think Hatton can successfully bully PAC inside the ring...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PAC can be driven back and might be glued to the ropes but it only happens for a few seconds... PAC is too quick on his foot and can easily move to either side...

If I can recall Morales backed Pacman up plenty in their first fight.
    AND if i may add he initiated the backin up by hittin his body.
    Which is somethin Hatton does well.
    Lifes a wheel of fortune and its my turn to spin it. -Tupac Shakur

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton isn't big but he cuts of the ring great, and he has incredible footspeed, its really hard to get away from him as Malignaggi and Mayweather fought out, but Mayweather didn't really use a whole lot of lateral movement against Hatton or De La Hoya, he is so good defensively he goes straight back into the ropes either comes forward quickly(which he did, and landed cleanly a ton of times on Hatton) or he avoids everything that is thrown his way off the ropes.

Obviously Pacquiao isn't the same type of fighter, but he used a lot more movement against Oscar, and I think that trumped Oscar a lot, because when he get Floyd on the ropes Mayweather stayed there and allowed Oscar to get off ineffective flurries that looked good if you aren't counting what is landing. Against Hatton, he tied Hatton up more, Joe Cortez jumped in too quickly, but eventually his pot shots cought up with Ricky. I think Pacquiao has similar if not a little better footspeed than Hatton, and he will move around and catch Hatton coming/leaping in with that left cross. If Hatton can get Manny on the ropes it should be really interesting, but I think when Morales and Marquez and Barrera have had Pacquiao on the ropes, he looks crazy with all his body movement, but I don't think they land as much as the commentators give them credit for landing. I think he is a lot harder to hit than some people think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Roach is going to come up with a good game plan for Ricky's attack..

A bit like the one time in the DLH fight were Oscar had him against the ropes for a few seconds and landed a couple of gimme's.. Roach immediately said once he returned to the corner "As soon as you feel your back touch the ropes, get out of there.. You don't belong against the ropes"..
    It was obviously an emphasis of that fight and a genuine part of the game plan to keep the fight in the middle and don't let DLH have any advantage by having up against the ropes and limiting his space..

Ricky is much much better at cutting off the ring though, and if he gets the chance to overpower Pac and doesn't suffer from to many lefts coming in, Pac will have a little more to worry about... But I think Pac will train and train at turning Hatton when he feels the ropes closing in behind him, and honestly I think that could be a very key part of a Pac victory if he wins.. The ability he has to turn out of trouble as often as possible when Hatton starts to get the upper hand and pushing him back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    Hatton isn't big but he cuts of the ring great, and he has incredible footspeed, its really hard to get away from him as Malignaggi and Mayweather fought out, but Mayweather didn't really use a whole lot of lateral movement against Hatton or De La Hoya, he is so good defensively he goes straight back into the ropes either comes forward quickly(which he did, and landed cleanly a ton of times on Hatton) or he avoids everything that is thrown his way off the ropes.

Obviously Pacquiao isn't the same type of fighter, but he used a lot more movement against Oscar, and I think that trumped Oscar a lot, because when he get Floyd on the ropes Mayweather stayed there and allowed Oscar to get off ineffective flurries that looked good if you aren't counting what is landing. Against Hatton, he tied Hatton up more, Joe Cortez jumped in too quickly, but eventually his pot shots cought up with Ricky. I think Pacquiao has similar if not a little better footspeed than Hatton, and he will move around and catch Hatton coming/leaping in with that left cross. If Hatton can get Manny on the ropes it should be really interesting, but I think when Morales and Marquez and Barrera have had Pacquiao on the ropes, he looks crazy with all his body movement, but I don't think they land as much as the commentators give them credit for landing. I think he is a lot harder to hit than some people think.
    I should have just pointed up and wrote "What he said"... I think I said the exact same thing as you just different words..

Brilliant people think alike right!

Thread Information