Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Combinations

I have fallen into the PBF style of one shot at a time haha. My single punches are good: strong, fast, and safe technique. But I don't seem to do combinations good at all. Should I practice in drills or should I just incorparate more and more into my regular training? Or does it really not matter and I just need to work on it? thnx guys

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Balboa View Post
    I have fallen into the PBF style of one shot at a time haha. My single punches are good: strong, fast, and safe technique. But I don't seem to do combinations good at all. Should I practice in drills or should I just incorparate more and more into my regular training? Or does it really not matter and I just need to work on it? thnx guys

Well PBf can put some combos together just fine if he wants to.

Just work on it, and it will become more natural. I find the mitts really helpful when working on combos, and especially when adding new things to them or trying to fix an old and bad habit. As well shadow boxing, but it is nice to make some contact.

Once you get comfortable throwing them in these ways, then the next step is throwing them when sparring, and believe me when I say, that is a whole other deal cuz now yer target is firing back. The thing is tho, you will have had the mechanics of it in your head and your muscles with much repetition.

It is a never ending process. Enjoy the ride.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Rocky B,
    Tailgating off of Youngblood's excellent suggestions, you have to make a committed, conscientious effort to utilize combinations if that's the direction you want to go. When incorporating Youngblood's recommendations, I suggest utilizing combinations of AT LEAST three punches. If you do a lot of one-twos, well, that's not really "combination punching" in my book. To me, it's gotta be at least three. With that said, don't get me wrong, strategically/tactically speaking, one-twos have many salient functions in the scheme of ring things. So, definitely don't disregard them.

Anyway, here are a few three-punch combos to get you started:
    1. Jab-cross-lead hook
    2. Lead hook-cross-lead hook
    3. Cross-lead hook-cross
    4. Lead hook-rear uppercut-lead hook
    5. Jab-overhand-lead shovel hook to the ribs (specifically to the liver or spleen depending on if you're southpaw or orthodox).

Good luck...

Take Care,
    Lito

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks guys, I'll have to break out of the one-punch fighter that I've become

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to tell you......even though I'm an older guy and too old to fight in amateur, when I box the guys in their mid to early 20's by throwing combinations.....it gets lethal.

I've been so used to being selective with my punching and countering all of the punches being thrown. But my favorite combo just in the last week of trying combos is the lead right, followed by a hook and then drop down with a spearing straight right to the sternum. The combination is so fast that nobody really tries throwing straight punches to the gut. Most guys like to throw the hooks to the body. But a straight right to the body can be lethal. I've stopped two sparring session this week and last week alone.

I also think that mixing up the tempo is key. I'll play defense for 30 seconds and then counter and once I connect with a big shot......I've got their attention and combinations should be in order at that time. They'll respect the punch more.

I'm not under the belief that combos have to always be thrown. I think it should be a part of the rythm.

I've only been boxing for 1 year so my experience may not yield advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds good brptrojan I actually discovered that one on the heavy bag and it makes a groaning cracking sound

As for the Youngblood comment: "Its a never ending process. Enjoy the ride." I never understood this before but it has hit me like crazy. I realize how much I have to learn now that I still find faults in my jab after I have spents hours and weeks and months on it. You never stop learning...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brptrojan View Post
    I have to tell you......even though I'm an older guy and too old to fight in amateur, when I box the guys in their mid to early 20's by throwing combinations.....it gets lethal.

I've been so used to being selective with my punching and countering all of the punches being thrown. But my favorite combo just in the last week of trying combos is the lead right, followed by a hook and then drop down with a spearing straight right to the sternum. The combination is so fast that nobody really tries throwing straight punches to the gut. Most guys like to throw the hooks to the body. But a straight right to the body can be lethal. I've stopped two sparring session this week and last week alone.

I also think that mixing up the tempo is key. I'll play defense for 30 seconds and then counter and once I connect with a big shot......I've got their attention and combinations should be in order at that time. They'll respect the punch more.

I'm not under the belief that combos have to always be thrown. I think it should be a part of the rythm.

I've only been boxing for 1 year so my experience may not yield advice.
    Yeah, people don't look for that straight right to the body, but once they learn you throw it, you can get whacked if they have a good uppercut. If they catch it with their elbow, you are ripe for a left uppercut or hook, possibly followed by a cross right down the pipe at your chin, which as been lifted by the uppercut. I wouldn't go to the well too many times with that one.

As a fellow older novice fighter, I feel you. Learning to counterpunch is key. We are slower and it's harder to create openings with speedy combos like the kids. I practice longer combos on the bag and on the pads, but when it come down to it in sparring, I rarely throw more than three in a row, unless I'm throwing a 1-1-1-4-3-2(or 4). Like you said, changing pace is important. Start out with a bang, then slow down and pick shots, or start out laid back, defense, and countering, then, bang...go fast and aggressive for 10 seconds. I'll do that if I'm going for a "shock and awe" effect to impose my will and get you against the ropes and get inside, but I don't throw more than two or three power punches at time. If I do, I get hit more than I land.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Rozzy. That was fun to read.

I just learned something from my generous trainer today.

He said, If your jab shoulder is to the right of the center of the opponent, you throw quick shots and pivot out to that side.

If you are to the left of the center of the opponent, you throw quick shots and pivot out to that left side.

But, you NEVER pivot when your jab shoulder is dead center. If you are dead center you either need to move to one side or the other or you need to throw power shots and then swing left or right to the side that your last punch was thrown.

It's intersting to think that if you move your feet first, then they have to pivot with you and it's impossible for them to throw a power shot while their feet are moving. If you move and set before the opponent can re-set, you can fire shots and let his angry self follow you again and just play that game all day.

I'm blown away with how many idiot boxers out there get hit willingly because they don't know or try to know sound technique defense.

I'll admit it, I'm not tough enough nor do I care to be tough enough to sit and take meaningless blows that can be avoided by sound defense!

Thread Information