Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jab too predictable

I have been working on my jab for quite awhile and it is fast and hard with great form (I am meticulous ). But I find I telegraph my intentions. My opponent can predict pretty easily that my jab is coming. I prepare too much. When I see an opening for my jab I want to jump on it asap not prepare myself perfectly then let it go too late. Any tips?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jab too predictable

Relax and just keep sparring, there's probably some sort of indicator but with out seeing you I couldn't tell you what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As in they know it's coming and counter over it, or they know it's coming and don't get hit by it? If you are getting countered over it, you are probably tipping it somehow, but if you just aren't landing it as much as you like, it might just the defense of partner. EVERY training session, I do two rounds with a partner of Jab- Parry Jab, Jab- Parry Jab, and vice versa. That drill will make it so you hardly ever get caught flush with the jab unless you get tricked or somebody uses quick feet to get an angle on you. You might not be able to do anything about the hundreds of things that can happen AFTER the first jab, but you won't be eating them all the time unless you're sparring with Larry Holmes. Once you get good at seeing and deflecting them, it's not that hard to avoid them, even when they are thrown pretty well. It's harder, though, to have it timed so well that you can easily counter with your own jab or a right over the top. If that's happening all the time, you're doing something wrong.

This is where feints, changing speeds and angles, etc comes in handy. Check out the "What Works for You" sticky if you haven't already.

When I first started sparring, I had a tell for my jab - I would raise up my guard slightly. Obviously I ate a lot of counter rights, but my sparring partner tipped me off and I learned not to do it. I probably still do it from time to time, but now I do it on purpose sometimes and DON'T throw. Basically, with a little more experience, I'm a little less stiff and I'm moving my guard around more anyway so if I do it unintentionally, it's not an automatic give away. Ask whoever is supervising the sparring if/how you are tipping it or if you just need to learn to feint and pivot more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Double feints,and straight rights may help,make them bite harder on your bullshit before you really bring the noise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have you tried simply shadow boxing in a mirror and watching for your own tells? Look for openings or tells as though looking at an opponent.

May not see anything, but it's always possible.
    Boxing is like a handjob, and MMA is like a hot sweaty orgy with 5 chicks. I could never say no to a handjob, but which would you rather have?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What are the intentions of your jab?

This is often the difference in it's predictability, imo.

Is it to land and score a shot? Is it to create and keep distance? Is it to work your way inside? Is it to set up other punches in a combination?

When considering the many ways in which the jab can be used, and at what varying speed and intention it can have, variety will make it less predictable of your use of it.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 03-13-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fake some. Confuse him.

El Kabong Guest

Hook off it...it moves the guard and should open up the 1-2. Works for Wlad and Vitali

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

basically supporting what others are saying, i'd say use it to your advantage.. if they're sold that you're going to throw the jab, throw something else.. you have to adapt in the ring, and this is part of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good idea, thanks

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds like you know exactly how to throw one now. If you think about something else while you throw one ,you'll still be able to throw it well on autopilot.
    So now think about retuning it to load position so all the speed is on the return. See what happens then .
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Andre, I actually figured that out after I posted. I found a good gym which I go to now and the coach said my jab was perfect except I left my right leg to far behind, so I kind lunged which was decieving. I instantly corrected it, and the preparation is gone except now Im going to use it to decieve

Thread Information