Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile What can you expect from a southpaw boxer

I've a competetive sparring fight coming up in a few weeks time and the guy that I'm fighting is a southpaw. Both of us are at a similar level and this will be the first ever fight that either of us have had. It's an in-house fight for guys that have had little or no sparring experience that want to further themselves to becoming boxers.

I've researched and been given tips on how to box a southpaw with an emphasis on throwing overhand rights, left hooks to the head and body and to keep your left foot on the out side of his right foot. Great theory but any southpaw would know of these weaknesses right?

So my questions are if I am to try and keep a step ahead of a southpaw fighter what will they do to to avoid exposing themself to their obvious lefty weaknesses and will they box me the same that I intend to box them but with their overhand lefts, right hooks to head and body and so on?

Ta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What can you expect from a southpaw boxer

Step in to his power hand,it takes his jab hand out of the equation,and you allready knew you were going there,he didnt,so it will crowd his power hand on top of it.A nice right step and crowd,and you'll have an easy day of it.But move in fast,do not hesitate on it,or you'll catch it coming in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DickDangleberry View Post
    I've a competetive sparring fight coming up in a few weeks time and the guy that I'm fighting is a southpaw. Both of us are at a similar level and this will be the first ever fight that either of us have had. It's an in-house fight for guys that have had little or no sparring experience that want to further themselves to becoming boxers.
    lol -_-' ..just say you're going to be having a backyard brawl with some gloves i'd be more than willing to give some tips. most likely you guys are just going to spaz out and start trying to kill after the first punch is landed so whats the use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpawed View Post
    lol -_-' ..just say you're going to be having a backyard brawl with some gloves i'd be more than willing to give some tips. most likely you guys are just going to spaz out and start trying to kill after the first punch is landed so whats the use.
    WOW! Another Jerk on a forum. If I wanted an answer like that I would have posted it in the "ASK A removed" section. I look on this forum every day and see nothing but encouragement from all the guys. Seriously though, thanks!

For anyone else that might wanna help me I'd really appreciate it. It's not "two spaccers in a ring for three rounds" fight that this nobber has conjured up in his tiny preconceived mind. Once a week we spend two hours doing drills and light sparring getting harder every week. I also have the guy that is going to be in my corner working with me on the focus pads when he can. Obvisouly he has passed on his thoughts on fighting a southpaw but I thought I'd still ask around. I didn't want to write a massive post of my experience as all I wanted was ideas on boxing southpaws.

Cheers
    Last edited by AdamGB; 03-20-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: ta

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whether his response was out of line or not you're over reacting... just tell the guy that it's not 'back yard boxing'... no need to go overboard.

You're both facing a mirrored stance so really neither of you has an advantage... the only advantage this guy will havee is that he is used to fighting a stance opposite to his and you are not.

Just keep in mind that his lead is coming from a different side. Not much I can tell you really, it's all about experience and practice. Instead of aprrying his jab with your right hand like you normally would against an Orthodox fighter parry it with your left hand and then shoot straight over the top of it with a straight left... very hard for him to defend against if he's commited to the punch. Only way you're not going to hit him is if he throws half heartadly and then hops straight back... then all you do is step in with him.

Most south paws don't like right hand leads. Slipping to the inside of his jab AS he throws whilst throwing a right to the body can work if you can pull it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Adam. It was an over the top response. Sorry. I just didn't think I'd get it on this site.

There is loads of threads on how to box a southpaw but they all tend to be about what to use against them rather than what I can expect from them.

nice one.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some of the SP's I have met know what they are and have a tendancy to overcompensate with being a freak of nature, and use that left to load up on.

So letting them have that and waiting for the big hard overhand/straight left is often what I will do. And wait for it to slip in a quick straight right/left hook combo up the middle if it is loose, or pivot and move laterally to catch them going past you. Is tricky business though, and getting/timing it wrong often means eating it or a follow up right hook if they are worth their salt.

Am sure there is much better technical advice, but this is just an observation I've noticed, the loading up they seem to do and over relying on the left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Adam. It was an over the top response. Sorry. I just didn't think I'd get it on this site.

There is loads of threads on how to box a southpaw but they all tend to be about what to use against them rather than what I can expect from them.

nice one.
    If it works for you,it will work for them,so if theyre well trained enough expect them to try to do it to you first

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nice one.
    It's no bother mate.

I understand where southpawed is coming from... it's irratating when we get people coming on here asking for advice on how to beat a mate up in their back garden etc.

With out going over the top I think it's disrespectful to those of us who have taken the time and dedication to learn this sport.

That's the attitude most of us have towards backyard boxing, southpawed has just jumped the gun a little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cheers guys.

Appreciate all the comments.

I'll try and keep these in mind for my fight. Just getting through the three rounds will be an achievment anyway.

Any tips on relaxing while your in the ring or is it usually a case of once your doing it the nerves reduce?

Ta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Headbutts happens a lot in righty vs lefty.

Thread Information