Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lennox Lewis as a commentator - what's ths issue ??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lennox Lewis as a commentator - what's ths issue ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    He's not terrible he just doesn't add anything.

Basically Lampley will just feed him lines, make a statement and ask Lewis if he agrees, he always does but doesnt explain anything other than repeat what Lampley has said and then Lampley will do the elaboration.

He's just there as an iconic figure, the last great heavyweight champ but his input as far as commentary and fight insight is nil.

Roy Jones was great because he had opinions and would talk like he was actually watching the fight and was interested in what's going on.

With Lennox I usually picture him sitting in his booth getting his dreads plaited and being fed grapes and other fruits whilst signing autographs and occaisionally Lampley will push the microphone his way whilst a voice in his ear says 'Agree with Lampley just say this 'Exactly, what's happening right now is that......' and let Lampley take over again from there.

Jones doing colour commentary could make a nikolay valuev career boxset sound interesting

Im gonna go with the majority and just say that he brings absoloutely nothing to the table as a commentator apart from robotic like answers and gives the casual fight fan sitting at home absoloutely no extra insight into whats going on.

Lampley has been carrying a lot of the co-commentators for years now and his ability to call a fight all through the round enables merchant to bounce off him with one sentanced remarks every so often which he is rather good at.

Cant help but wonder though who would actually be responsible for telling Lennox Lewis former world heavyweight champion that he`s fired
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Ok as I live in England I've never seen an HBO broadcast so have never heard Lewis commentating.

However I continually read in the Ring how bad he is and how he should be sacked and now on another site have seen a big fan of his as a fighter saying how bad he is and should quit.

So can anyone shed any light on WHY he is so bad ?? I am intrigued.

Any clips anywhere ??

ta
    I think Lewis is pretty good. It's just a small bunch of people who constantly rag on HBO. But the fact is, they announce crew and production value is by far the best in the business.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Red face Re: Lennox Lewis as a commentator - what's ths issue ??

Basically Lampley will just feed him lines, make a statement and ask Lewis if he agrees, he always does but doesnt explain anything other than repeat what Lampley has said and then Lampley will do the elaboration.

He's just there as an iconic figure, the last great heavyweight champ but his input as far as commentary and fight insight is nil.

Roy Jones was great because he had opinions and would talk like he was actually watching the fight and was interested in what's going on.

With Lennox I usually picture him sitting in his booth getting his dreads plaited and being fed grapes and other fruits whilst signing autographs and occaisionally Lampley will push the microphone his way whilst a voice in his ear says 'Agree with Lampley just say this 'Exactly, what's happening right now is that......' and let Lampley take over again from there.
    I was about to write something but... well... you did sum it up better than what I would have written on that one so I will do like Lennox:

"well, I agree with what Bilbo just said, Lennox just agree with Lampley and repeats what he just said without going further, waiting for Lampley to comment a bit more and then add that he agrees again, repeating another loop to the scratched disc"
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I find Lewis' commentary the most insightful cuz he can pick up on things that the others cant .

Whilst the others are waffling away and anything irrelevant Lewis can see who is doing what for example, Holyfield Moorer 2. Holyfield was on teh ropes and getting his ass kicked but Lewis said a good few seconds before, Evanders setting him up for a . .and then Moorer fell accross the ring from a Holyfield has been there unlike the others at the highest level so his opinion means more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lennox is kinda dull 'tis true, and I don't think that London/American accent helps much, pronounciations are a bit all over the place.

But I have to say, another boxer who tried some commentating or "punditing" if you will, who bored the crap out of me with his monotone voice and total lack of charisma was John Thaxton a little while back on ITV, might have been the night of Fury vs Peret or something.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd have to say he's just boring and pretty full of himself.

George Foreman was A LOT better.

George liked to argue with Larry and Jim and put those two bitches in their place.

I remember when Wlad Klitschko first got KO'd, Larry was goin off about "This is a shock to the boxing world!"

And George was like "Its not a shock to the boxing world. I think its more of a shock to your world Larry."

hahaha
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ha Ha Ha Ha ha...As much of a fan I am of Lennox Lewis the fighter I have to agree with everything you said...I can even picture the scenario....

Agree with Jones as well Roy was a good commentator...I pick Jones over Lennox or Manny....Too bad Roy did not stick around
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with the others who have said Jones Jr was good. I wish he would hang them up and do that for a living, he was insightful. Lewis is okay, but he does state the obvious too much.

Foreman was the worst. Seems like an affable chap, but commentates like someone who shouldn't really be doing the job.

10 miles from Manchester, 6 miles from Bolton
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Lewis as a commo, he makes me laugh all the tme during wank fights
    Hidden Content

If it's yellow, let it mellow... If it's brown, invite me 'round...

Thread Information