Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lennox Lewis as a commentator - what's ths issue ??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Lennox Lewis as a commentator - what's ths issue ??

Ok as I live in England I've never seen an HBO broadcast so have never heard Lewis commentating.

However I continually read in the Ring how bad he is and how he should be sacked and now on another site have seen a big fan of his as a fighter saying how bad he is and should quit.

So can anyone shed any light on WHY he is so bad ?? I am intrigued.

Any clips anywhere ??

ta
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lennox Lewis as a commentator - what's ths issue ??

He hardly says much and when he does it's usually stating the complete obvious. His voice is boring and he says about 5 lines a round.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can't be a good boxer if you were born without arms.....is something he'd say and it wouldn't surprise me.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    You can't be a good boxer if you were born without arms.....is something he'd say and it wouldn't surprise me.
    LOL he does say shit along those lines, hahaha

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

but surely that's a valid point
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's not terrible he just doesn't add anything.

Basically Lampley will just feed him lines, make a statement and ask Lewis if he agrees, he always does but doesnt explain anything other than repeat what Lampley has said and then Lampley will do the elaboration.

He's just there as an iconic figure, the last great heavyweight champ but his input as far as commentary and fight insight is nil.

Roy Jones was great because he had opinions and would talk like he was actually watching the fight and was interested in what's going on.

With Lennox I usually picture him sitting in his booth getting his dreads plaited and being fed grapes and other fruits whilst signing autographs and occaisionally Lampley will push the microphone his way whilst a voice in his ear says 'Agree with Lampley just say this 'Exactly, what's happening right now is that......' and let Lampley take over again from there.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's crap as a commentator. Everything he says is recycled. Every time there's a knock down there's Lewis saying "I don't think he's going to get up from that". 98% of the time the fighter gets up.

Shannon Briggs is a better commentator than him. So is Nate Campbell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lennox is no Jim Lampley and that is what he is compared against when he commentates. But you have to remember Lampley is an expert commentator and Lennox is not (Lennox is an expert fighter). Lennox is there to provide a boxer's perspective on the fight. If Lennox had not boxed he would not be a commentator because he would be terrible.....

I think Lennox does a pretty good job compared to others that are there to bring the boxing/training perspective like a Foreman or Steward.....

Also I find it commendable that Lennox doesnt knock out Lamps or Merchant when they bring up his crushing KO losses (which they seem to do frequently)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Commentating isn't rocket science...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Lennox is no Jim Lampley and that is what he is compared against when he commentates. But you have to remember Lampley is an expert commentator and Lennox is not (Lennox is an expert fighter). Lennox is there to provide a boxer's perspective on the fight. If Lennox had not boxed he would not be a commentator because he would be terrible.....

I think Lennox does a pretty good job compared to others that are there to bring the boxing/training perspective like a Foreman or Steward.....

Also I find it commendable that Lennox doesnt knock out Lamps or Merchant when they bring up his crushing KO losses (which they seem to do frequently)
    Nah he's not he's compared to Roy Jones, George Foreman, Shannon Briggs, Ray Mancini, Richie Woodhall, Jim Watt, Duke Mckenzie etc

Bernard Hopkins, Pauli Malignaggi, Sergio Mora have all done commentary as well.

I'd say Lewis is worse than all of them in terms of contribition although as he literally contributes virtually nothing he is a lot less annoying than Duke McKenzie and Jim Watt who can ruin a fight with their ridiculous opinions.

But all the others get far more involved in the action and commentary and contribute to the discussion whereas Lewis barely says anything.

They may as well just have a few pre-recordings of him saying a few quips and use that instead of hiring him for each fight, in fact maybe that is what they do already?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It isn't rocket science but it's amazing how many rubbish commentators get jobs. HBO must hold auditions and try and pick the worst people possible to present their shows. Lewis gets a bit of a pass because of his pre-commentating job but people like Kellerman should be binned forthwith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    It isn't rocket science but it's amazing how many rubbish commentators get jobs. HBO must hold auditions and try and pick the worst people possible to present their shows. Lewis gets a bit of a pass because of his pre-commentating job but people like Kellerman should be binned forthwith.
    It isnt as easy as your think. There are fewer good commentators than rocket scientists I would bet.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A couple of fights ago he literally sounded like he had just woke up.Really stammering.Its funny when he gets all excited,KDs KOs and such.The ending of Maskaev/Rahman 2 .....His accent goes all over time and hes yelling.Statements actually sound like he is asking a question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lennox is alright I don't have a problem with him. He doesn't really say anything stupid-or at least I can't think of anything stupid he has said right off the top of my head- but he doesn't improve upon the brodcast.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My biggest problem is he is robotic. I can't think of any broadcaster or sportsperson who is less of a natural at commentating than him.

When any other boxer or sportsman for that matter gets interviewed by their anchor man pre fight or pre sporting event they will talk to the guy asking them the question and sound natural like they having a conversation.

Lennox on the other hand stares straight at the camera and reads an autoqueue.

To my knowledge he's the only boxer commentator who does that.

Thread Information