Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Counter Left Hook, any need to follow up?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Counter Left Hook, any need to follow up?

This post deals with the Counter Left Head Hook, which is a personal favorite of mine, because your opponent doesn't even see it coming.

I like to counter with the Left Hook in 2 ways, one by moving straight in at the opponent, forcing him to throw the Jab out of instinct, which I slip, giving me plenty of hip torque to come back with the Left Hook. The other method is to parry his Jab with your Right hand and torque at the same time and come back with a Left Hook.

My question though is this, does the counter left hook need a follow up punch, like a Cross or Overhand Right? Just need some advice, thanks!

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Counter Left Hook, any need to follow up?

You do whats open for you.If you've landed the hook his left arm will be heading for the direction it landed so yeah you got that right cross option.

Fighting a southy gets more interesting:
    You could double up the hook then throw the right once he moves ,it can give you time to really set it up as he moves .

He will react to your first hook; his right elbow will rise up if you got him with a head shot, it will instinctivley drop if you got him with a low hook; so you shuffle in slightly on the second hook, you can even turn your rear heel in for more power cause you wont be able screw the front foot like you did on the first shot, and it opens and sets your right hip and shoulder up for the right cross or a right straight if he falls, walks or turns out into range.

You just have to watch his left cross, if he turns to ride with your hook you have to watch for it and be prepared to pull your front foot back out as your right launches if his left comes. Try it out first sparring a mate its fun.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sure, if you're fast enough once the left hook lands you can follow it up with a jab, right hand instead of just the right.
    This way you can be in range because you have used your jab to move in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like to often left hook (sometimes it "accidentally" goes behind the head to control the neck like jeff fenech used to do) then pivot and throw a right hand. You can do a multitude of things from there, but they have to pivot to face you, which is why I like to control their neck as you can then put them slightly off balance while setting yourself up for a point.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you have an opportunity to hit your opponent again, you should take it. In the essence of combination punching, one punch creates an opening for the next.

Your opponent's reactions can tell you whether you should follow up or not. If your left hook stuns them, stay close to your opponent and if there's an opening follow up with an uppercut or even another left hook. If your opponent isn't the least bit affected by your left hook then perhaps it might not be a good idea to follow up the hook. Instead you ought to create some distance (jab out if you must), while looking out for their straight right, or right hook.

I like the left hook after the slip to the outside. You could follow it with a right hook or straight right to the body or head, or a right uppercut. It depends on what's open and how your opponent reacts.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

El Kabong Guest

While you usually want to end throwing the hook as it puts you in a better defensive position, the right cross is a perfect punch to throw after a left hook....or maybe you can double up on the hook or go to the body with a hook....if your opponent tries to duck the hook an uppercut works great, it's what Rocky Marciano used Left Hook-Right Uppercut, works all day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For me it depends on range and distance. If you are in close, L Hook R uppercut to either chin or body. If you have seperation, L Hook R cross to head. Then a quick shoulder roll, duck or pivot to move to avoid their counter. And then hit him again if you were sucessful. I try to spin them to make them move their feet to find you.

Thread Information