Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Body Rhytm.

I keep hearing the term rhythm in boxng, i dont fully understand what people mean when they talk about rhythm. Does anyone know the proper definition of body rhythm? Who is the best boxer to study for body rhythm? Ive been told this is the most under used term in boxing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Body Rhytm.

Rhythm is made up of the time that it takes to do different movements, be it a slip or a punch. It also refers to the time that is between techniques.

In boxing it's an important concept to grasp in order to be more effective at landing punches as well as avoiding them. You see the jab for instance, if you were to throw it at a steady rhythm like the ticking of the clock you'd become very predictable. That's why you'd want to throw it at different speeds, including stop and go. At times it's just like a change-up pitch in baseball. Having variety in your speed and rhythm can keep your opponent guessing.

It's the same thing when you're moving, slipping and weaving. If you're moving your head back and forth like some kind of human-metronome you're opponent is easily going to figure out where your head is going to be next. This is especially true if your head is tracing the same path over and over again.

One boxer you'd want to look at is Floyd Mayweather Jr. Of course there's a lot more that he's doing right, but rhythm is a part of it. The changes in the speed of his movements (as well as the time in between) is perhaps more important than just him being fast. He talks about rhythm in his interview with Smitty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqOJp9WmayoJust try to get a feel for it in your movements, especially when you're shadow boxing or hitting the bags. You can break down certain moves into beats, kind of like dance steps or drummer-beats. Apply it to different techniques, ie. feinting, punching as well as defensive moves.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 04-05-2009 at 01:05 AM.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

same for punching, footwork etc. eg

You throw 1,2,3,4

try

1 - 2,3,4

1,2 - 3,4
    1,2,3 - 4

once again, I've not seen it taught in a boxing gym but learnt it in martial arts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

my coach has never taught me anything about body rhythm, but what he has told me is not let my opponent time me. Meaning vary up the speed of my jab, then double jab, etc.

How about when hey talk about rhythm for head movement and footwork, do they basically mean dont do anything at one speed or be too repatative so your opponent can read your moves?

What i dont understand is when they say have a beat in your head for the rhythm and move to the beat.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's making something that a few people do subconsciously - conscious & hopefully making you a better rounded & thinking fighter.

ever done mirror work with a partner? They move one way you try and follow? That is one basic drill. The idea being that by mirroring your opponents rhythm you will be able to anticipate their moves.
    They will also be comfortable with you moving at their rhythm so when you break rhythm it throws off their timing. Hope that made some kind of sense?

Of course you could just think screw this I'm going to charge in and batter him!

Thread Information