Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fighters From Europe Are really overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Saddo View Post
    intresting no one is biting yet... guess your gonna have to up you game mr bull the posters here aint your run of the mill smacktalk board breed your used to.
    And yet it was so tempting

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the part about Mighty Mike was hilarious, clearly somebody that's been around here before.

Mighty Mike was robbed against Ortiz though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't say he was robbed....the dude had his gloves up around his face like he was counting to 10 and waiting for ortiz to go hide. Then when the ref taps him to tell him it's over and he can raise his damn head up now, he looks up the same way a kid does when being woken up from a nap wondering where the hell 30 min went and trying to convince you he was never sleep he was just resting his eyes. He wasn't all that hurt but his actions mixed with that damn initial zab judah dance he started....basically he wasn't robbed the guy just isn't as good as he was made out to be, far from overrated imo. He just is what he is. As a side note we met some of his family and entourage or whatever you call em after that fight at the tank that night, extremly nice people.
    Last edited by Mar; 05-19-2009 at 07:44 PM.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    the part about Mighty Mike was hilarious, clearly somebody that's been around here before.

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that. Mighty Mike is perhaps the most complete fighter of the 21st century. I honestly think Freddie Roach
    paid off the ref so that PAC could continue to duck him.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    No offense to anyone here, but since this is a message board, I have to call it the way I see it. And after reading quite a few posts and threads here, Euro fighters get way overhyped by the media and by their fanboys.

A few on the list:
    Rickey Hatton, Nigel Benn, Prince Naseem, Mighty Mike, Henry Cooper, Lennox Lewis, Joe Calzaghe, Dariusz Michalczewski, Max Schmeling, Frank Bruno, etc.

Well by fanboy, I presume you mean a Fanatic, rather than its true meaning in boxing: Fan(cy); a financial backer (sponsor) of a fighter.

By definition a fanatic is going to overrate; that is a bit of a no-brainer.

But now I am going to bite on your juicy worm, and perhaps yank you into the lake, because I will not be caught.....

You have picked some awful, awful examples:

Ricky Hatton was an underrated fighter, who upset an old excellent fighter in Kostya Tszyu. He then used his support to get him some big fights, and showed himself capable against all but the very best, Hatton was hardly overrated.

Nigel Benn was an exciting face first puncher, who got found out at 160lbs, only to reinvent himself as a smartish fighter at 168lbs, who used his experience to beat the streaking Gerald McClellan and give a prime Eubank hell in a fight perhaps he could of edged.

Naseem Hamed was an excellent fighter who fought and beat everything put in front of him, before getting a bit to cocky and losing Barrera. Unable to regain the fire that got him to the top, Naseem called it a day, disappointed, but hardly overrated, anyone who saw the Vazquez or Badillo fights, know Naseem was mighty fine at his best.

Sir 'enry was a British institution, I do not think even his biggest fans considers him great. But he was brave, had a mean left hook and always gave his best, and we like those qualities in Britain.

Lewis has shown himself the Heavyweight of the last 15 years. The fact that it is six years since he retired and we have yet to even find a fighter to have a legitimate claim to his Championship, shows to a point how good he was.

Calzaghe beat everything put on front of him, and now it seems is that determined to keep his '0' that he is now 47-0 having added his son to the record.

Michalczewski sucked so much, that for whatever reason, a near prime Roy Jones Jr choose not to fight him....

Schmeling unlike Buster probably holds the record for biggest upset in Heavyweight history when he beat Joe Louis. Add this to a two year reign as champ, a title lost on a debatable decision, and being involved in the most important fight in boxing history, and I would say Max was hardly overrated.

Bruno was a 80s version of Cooper, it is just the division is that bad today, there is a case that Bruno could of been a top fighter in this era, rather than just being a top ten contender that he was in the 80s.
    Last edited by Britkid; 05-20-2009 at 05:32 PM.
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

wot r u on
    nigel benn ducking roy jone jr

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

on the Nigel Benn ducking Jones Jr thing, well i have it the other way around, i'd say Jones ducked both Benn and Eubank, even go so far to say he ducked, the G-Man as well, Lennox Lewis, never been a huge fan of his, but the man has legit wins over Ruddock, McCall, Morrison, Mercer, Golota, Briggs, Holyfield, Tua, Rahman, Tyson, and Vitali Klitschko, hardly hype bud

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that. Mighty Mike is perhaps the most complete fighter of the 21st century. I honestly think Freddie Roach
    paid off the ref so that PAC could continue to duck him.
    hell even Mayweather helped chip in, seeing how he knew that Mike's name would of been right up there on people he'd have to take on, and well the fear got to him, Arnaoutis P4P #1 of ALL TIME!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Great first post.

These Euro fans, especially the Brits, just don't get it. You have to let them have their fun though homie.
    Rickey Hatton in the same league as Floyd and Pacman? Does a overrated club fighter belongs in the same ring as those 2? Hatton is a smaller and poor man's Jake La Motta. And Prince Naseem that people on this board are defending as an elite fighter from past few posts. The one that got badly exposed by MAB? And now there is all this hype with Mighty Mike. The best complete fighter of the 21st century? Now that's an overhype statement.

Europe produces some good talent but not elite all time talent, and no where near the level that North America, carribean, and Latin American countries produce.

Europe has never produce an elite fighter in the same class as, Muhammad ALi, Joe Louis, Ray Robinson, Ray Leonard, Jake Lamotta, Willie Pep, Henry Armstrong, Marvin Hagler, Archie Moore, Thomas Hearns, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bad thread idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Any country can overrate their fighters. Take the U.S for example:

Lacy, De La Hoya, Taylor, Pavlik, Gatti (I know he's from Canada), Dawson (Ok fighter, but nothing special), Arreola (He's going to get hammered when he does fight a Klitschko), Berto (Same as Arreola he'll be exposed when he ups his competiton) Juan Diaz, etc. and many other fighters who are good, but they aren't as good as the hype. This list doesn't mean all U.S fighters are bad, they are guilty of over hyping fighter, just like every country. It's not just Euros.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cant believe I clicked into this crap .....CFH you owe me a new keyboard. A small nibble though.....In all honesty,over the decades at least over here in the States,once you identify a newly discovered fighters orgin as European....they are 90 % of the time closely scrutinized and doubted much,much more so than others.

Thread Information