Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Nathan Cleverly - what a fighter

To be honest when sky decided to headline a 20 year old uni student who had only had 13 pro fights i had my doubts i really did but having seen his last 3 outings cleverly does indeed seem to be the real deal.

Not gonna start proclaiming him to be the next british star as he has to refine his technique and we need to see him in with genuine class.

But his blowing away mandatory challengers in 2/3 rounds and his actual style is very carl froch like.

Would be genuinely surprised if nathan doesnt become a world champ within the next 24 months!!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nathan Cleverly - what a fighter

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    To be honest when sky decided to headline a 20 year old uni student who had only had 13 pro fights i had my doubts i really did but having seen his last 3 outings cleverly does indeed seem to be the real deal.

Not gonna start proclaiming him to be the next british star as he has to refine his technique and we need to see him in with genuine class.

But his blowing away mandatory challengers in 2/3 rounds and his actual style is very carl froch like.

Would be genuinely surprised if nathan doesnt become a world champ within the next 24 months!!
    I agree, i think along with Kell Brook he is our hope for the future. I think we could possibly see a crossroads fight between him and Clinton Woods in the next 12 months, if Woods does get another world title shot and if he does most proabably loose i can see a nice domestic dust up between the two.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post

I agree, i think along with Kell Brook he is our hope for the future. I think we could possibly see a crossroads fight between him and Clinton Woods in the next 12 months, if Woods does get another world title shot and if he does most proabably loose i can see a nice domestic dust up between the two.

Yeah thats my opinion. I can honestly see Brook and Cleverly with world titles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He certainly does look good but I'd prefer him to be brought along a bit slower than a world title in the next 24 months. I'd like to see him fight for the EU title within the next 24 onths, really learn his trade well, then dominate at world level for years.

Also, does anyone know if he's found a full time replacement for enzo calzaghe as his trainer yet? Or is he still using his dad?

Would like to see him in with Jimmy Tibbs- doubt he'll leave wales though.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I didn't think he looked much cop against Joey Vegas but he's improved since then. Good win over Oakey but his last three opponents have been a proper padding job. Boyle is a parttimer and the two Africans were useless. It looks like he can punch but before that he looked a powderpuff hitter, which I think is nearer the truth.

I certainly don't think he's as good as you guys think. I'll be surprised if he gets to genuine world class (FW fiddling him a vacant WBO title don't count ).
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I didn't think he looked much cop against Joey Vegas but he's improved since then. Good win over Oakey but his last three opponents have been a proper padding job. Boyle is a parttimer and the two Africans were useless. It looks like he can punch but before that he looked a powderpuff hitter, which I think is nearer the truth.

I certainly don't think he's as good as you guys think. I'll be surprised if he gets to genuine world class (FW fiddling him a vacant WBO title don't count ).
    You're kidding right? The WBO are letting Erdei keep that title in Germany or Hungary to defend against the 50th ranked challenger.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think I'm going to fall somewhere between fenster and the OP on this one. I think Cleverly has been looking good in his last four bouts, though only one of them (Tony Oakey) was of any real quality.

He does appear to be developing his power from his SMW days early in the career, where he really didn't pack that much of a punch. As someone else has mentioned, I'd like to see him go the more traditional route of European title (if he gets through the mooted British title fight) before considering World honours.

No doubt he's one of the brightest prospects around at the moment, but wait and see where he gets to over the next 12-24 months before passing any judgement either way is what I intend to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post
    I think I'm going to fall somewhere between fenster and the OP on this one. I think Cleverly has been looking good in his last four bouts, though only one of them (Tony Oakey) was of any real quality.

He does appear to be developing his power from his SMW days early in the career, where he really didn't pack that much of a punch. As someone else has mentioned, I'd like to see him go the more traditional route of European title (if he gets through the mooted British title fight) before considering World honours.

No doubt he's one of the brightest prospects around at the moment, but wait and see where he gets to over the next 12-24 months before passing any judgement either way is what I intend to do.

The basic technique is clearly there and he has the power to back it up.

Sure he hasnt been caught properly on the chin yet but thats surely a good thing as if he was struggling 16 fights in it`d be a bit of a worry. You can only beat whats put infront of you and though his last 2-3 outings have been against average joes his been mighty impressive with putting them away.

Carl Froch barely got a mention at a similar stage in his career because much like cleverly he was quite content to slip under the radar until he`d been in with some decent level opponents and im pretty sure if warren wanted to he could line up a top opponent like a woods/johnson tommorow.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

err.. Woods or Johnson?

From fighting part-timers to genuine world-class? Sure FW will take that route too

Lets see if he can beat Danny McIntosh first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

err.. Woods or Johnson?

From fighting part-timers to genuine world-class? Sure FW will take that route too

Mcintosh hasnt even been on tv yet so i`ll reserve judgement until the fight takes place.

Quite weird actually for 2 aspiring young fighters to meet eachother head on so early in their careers. You see it happen all the time in america but very rarely over here as the likes of warren and hennessy in particular like to see their fighters pad out there records before putting them in with genuine contenders

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

err.. Woods or Johnson?

Mcintosh hasnt even been on tv yet so i`ll reserve judgement until the fight takes place.

Quite weird actually for 2 aspiring young fighters to meet eachother head on so early in their careers. You see it happen all the time in america but very rarely over here as the likes of warren and hennessy in particular like to see their fighters pad out there records before putting them in with genuine contenders
    You need to watch ITV4 mate. McIntosh's last few have been on there live.

I wouldn't be surprised if FW swerved the fight to pad Cleverly's record a bit more with obscure (crap) Africans.
    Last edited by Fenster; 05-26-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

err.. Woods or Johnson?

I wouldn't be surprised if FW swerved the fight to pad Cleverly's record a bit more with obscure (crap) Africans.

my apologies fenst

tend to skim through most itv4 cards and end up just watching furys latest outing plus the british title fight on the card as of late!!

Anything to add on mcIntosh that we should be looking out for??

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

my apologies fenst

tend to skim through most itv4 cards and end up just watching furys latest outing plus the british title fight on the card as of late!!

Anything to add on mcIntosh that we should be looking out for??
    Well don't fret, you didn't miss much in McIntosh's last fight, his opponent (Matthew Barney) was chucked out for constant holding.

Cleverly will be favourite but McIntosh looks like he can bang a bit and is obviously unbeaten too. Hope it happens. But as you said, two prospects with rival promoters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its happenin aint it??

nathan i reckon is britains next big thing

Thread Information