Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Glyn Rhodes being pushed out !

Morning all, this is on the Sheffield Forum, how can this be right ?

I am writing this post, and I am sorry but it is going to be a long one, about the disgusting treatment of an amazingly successful boxing club in Hillsborough.

16 Years ago Glyn Rhodes, a former professional boxer, opened the Sheffield Boxing Centre. His dream was basically to give the children of Sheffield somewhere alternative to train and to get them into sport and off the streets.

Based at the Burton Street Project, Burton Street Sheffield, Glyn’s dream has become a reality, with sheer hard work and dedication to the kids and their development. Glyn has spent years of his life working with children of all ages races and financial backgrounds, no one has ever been turned away and all are treated like family.

You would think wouldn’t you that as the Burton Street project is a community project that they would support Glyns work and encourage it. The SBC is the biggest community project inside the building and offers more to the kids in one nights training than any other project in and around that centre and the area.

Sadly support and encouragement are not what Glyn is getting. Over the last few years he has gone from paying 700 a month in charges for the whole top floor to 700 a month for 70% less space. The company is demanding back rent which Glyn does not owe and have now in the last two weeks taken further space from the gym by adding a FIRE CORRIDOR that is made of TIMBER ?

Glyn has now been forced into leaving the centre all together, the clubs success means that children are being turned away as there is literally no space for them to train there anymore, he is now looking for new premises where he can carry on his work. Hillsborough will now lose one of its strongest youth workers and it is all about MONEY, the company want back rent and the company want more rent for less space.

The fees that Glyn takes are supposed to pay rent, pay fees to the differing associations that the club belongs to, pay wages to the dedicated full time staff that help him run the place and pay for the kits, equipment and the maintenance of that stuff. Insurance, CRB’s, the list is endless, how can this be right ??

I personally am disgusted that this so called community project are talking in pounds when they should be talking about supporting this work and it’s success. In a world where our children are carrying knives Glyn is telling them to carry pride in themselves and in sport and anyone that knows him and his work would know that.

I am sure that you guys will join me in my feelings about this, I think it is disgusting.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Glyn Rhodes being pushed out !

Alright Josh

Sounds pretty terrible to me.
    Is the original contract enforcable?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The bit they have left Glyn to use, is where the Roof Leaks. Must think He is Welsh
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Morning all, this is on the Sheffield Forum, how can this be right ?

I am writing this post, and I am sorry but it is going to be a long one, about the disgusting treatment of an amazingly successful boxing club in Hillsborough.

16 Years ago Glyn Rhodes, a former professional boxer, opened the Sheffield Boxing Centre. His dream was basically to give the children of Sheffield somewhere alternative to train and to get them into sport and off the streets.

Based at the Burton Street Project, Burton Street Sheffield, Glyn’s dream has become a reality, with sheer hard work and dedication to the kids and their development. Glyn has spent years of his life working with children of all ages races and financial backgrounds, no one has ever been turned away and all are treated like family.

You would think wouldn’t you that as the Burton Street project is a community project that they would support Glyns work and encourage it. The SBC is the biggest community project inside the building and offers more to the kids in one nights training than any other project in and around that centre and the area.

Sadly support and encouragement are not what Glyn is getting. Over the last few years he has gone from paying 700 a month in charges for the whole top floor to 700 a month for 70% less space. The company is demanding back rent which Glyn does not owe and have now in the last two weeks taken further space from the gym by adding a FIRE CORRIDOR that is made of TIMBER ?

Glyn has now been forced into leaving the centre all together, the clubs success means that children are being turned away as there is literally no space for them to train there anymore, he is now looking for new premises where he can carry on his work. Hillsborough will now lose one of its strongest youth workers and it is all about MONEY, the company want back rent and the company want more rent for less space.

The fees that Glyn takes are supposed to pay rent, pay fees to the differing associations that the club belongs to, pay wages to the dedicated full time staff that help him run the place and pay for the kits, equipment and the maintenance of that stuff. Insurance, CRB’s, the list is endless, how can this be right ??

I personally am disgusted that this so called community project are talking in pounds when they should be talking about supporting this work and it’s success. In a world where our children are carrying knives Glyn is telling them to carry pride in themselves and in sport and anyone that knows him and his work would know that.

I am sure that you guys will join me in my feelings about this, I think it is disgusting.
    Hi Josh & Scrap.

Any news?

Thread Information