Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fighting off your back foot...

An older guy who I see occassionally around the gym was watching me spar the other day. He told me I need to learn how to fight off my back foot. He just keep saying it over and over but when I asked a little about it... he began a profanity-laced tirade about fighters these days not fighting off their back foot.

I usually have less of a reach and prefer to fight inside. How can you work inside while standing upright with your weight on your back foot? I thought it was used for counterpunching. I know it helps stepping forward with the jab... but I try to move in under my opponents jab.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fighting off your back foot...

Whether you're fighting on the outside, inside, or on the ropes, you can still push off of your back foot for more power.

I can see how it can be used as a counter like you said, stepping in avoiding their jab while launching a counter on your own. You can also take some steps back, and then spring forward when you see an opening.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris is right, as an example look at JC Chavez.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trick the other guy onto your punches... sort of like Chris has said if you get him to come forwards chasing you and throwing shots then you can stop, plant your back foot and launch a counter punch with him, not afterwards and he'll walk onto it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tho naturally orthodox, I fight a substantial amount of time in southie. From here I tend to find myself often on the back foot. I find I do use it often as a counter, my left...but how it seems to work if I understand the mechanics properly, is that while backing up, I can give a strong shot with my right, to create the combo of a straight left to follow that when delivered done with a momentum or gravitational shift of weight forward.

Or something.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Tho naturally orthodox, I fight a substantial amount of time in southie. From here I tend to find myself often on the back foot. I find I do use it often as a counter, my left...but how it seems to work if I understand the mechanics properly, is that while backing up, I can give a strong shot with my right, to create the combo of a straight left to follow that when delivered done with a momentum or gravitational shift of weight forward.

Or something.
    Do you use the initial switch to your advantage or the ending of the switch to your advantage or both? Do you trigger the move on their commitment and use the switch to go out of range on one side fast and counter with the other side? Not many people do it safe and right.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post

Or something.
    Do you use the initial switch to your advantage or the ending of the switch to your advantage or both? Do you trigger the move on their commitment and use the switch to go out of range on one side fast and counter with the other side? Not many people do it safe and right.
    I believe it is both. I think I am slightly fortunate in that I have a fairly strong quick left and am comfortable switching up. I don't trigger the move by their commitment, but try to get them to commit by doing it. I think at this level it still confuses many opponents and sucks them into charging forward. It happens quite fast actually, and I just seem to find all sorts of room with the different angle to score. I've rewatched tape of it numerous times, and if you aren't paying attention closely enough, you might even think the other person is scoring because they are usually throwing, but not landing and getting countered.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was just wondering because it does leave a gap in between your hands as you go through square position. for that reason I never tried it in front of anyone who was set and waiting. I liked to do it on their move so I went around their attack, in and out of range; out of their range and into mine away from their rear arm going around and controlling their lead arm the whole time. only works sometimes but its fun to get right.

Talking from a normal stance here, left forward: A good practice is to have someone poke a broom handle into your face with long smooth lunging jabs at first and you change feet so your head goes from right in front of the pole to the outside of it by doing a slipping switch stance (let it go over your left shoulder as you go into square stance then right away change feet and move forwards so your head follows them back in on the retreat and you close the gap into your counter distance ;slow at first and tape a cloth or a glove around the end,you soon find out which footwork works for which distance.you always head away from their rear arm so you go around the outside of lead jab.

Then once you got that practice getting your head from the inside of the pole to the outside of the pole and you'll notice you have alot less time so you adjust your footwork to pull back the front foot all the way behind your rear foot so you dont become square to them at all then switch around the end of the pole with your right foot moving out in a 45 angle;(you have moved back with the lunge and have switched feet underneath the end of it. then when its at its length you shuffle in to close the gap already swithed into south.That gives you more time and more distance.
    If you can do that with your hands behind your back its all the more fun when you can check the end of the pole as it comes and deflect it over your shoulder and attack under it with your front arm that then becomes your rear arm on the way in and you close the gap for your right hand or the other way right first left after great fun finding out hwat you can and cant get away with. Anyone can help you out with that its great to practice just getting your head out the way by slight knee drops and slight leans and foot placments and ankle turns so long as they allow you to move freely after wards. You soon find out if youre doing it wrong.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Fighting off your back foot...

Quote Originally Posted by God.in.my.corner View Post
    An older guy who I see occassionally around the gym was watching me spar the other day. He told me I need to learn how to fight off my back foot. He just keep saying it over and over but when I asked a little about it... he began a profanity-laced tirade about fighters these days not fighting off their back foot.

I usually have less of a reach and prefer to fight inside. How can you work inside while standing upright with your weight on your back foot? I thought it was used for counterpunching. I know it helps stepping forward with the jab... but I try to move in under my opponents jab.

Any thoughts?
    Ask him to show you what he means. He could have meant your weight placement or he could have meant moving/backing away from your opponent. I've heard the term used to describe both actions.
    Good luck with your training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he was referring to controlling distance. I wasn't quick enough getting in and was getting hit with jabs, and my counters were slow. He also said it sould be a sin to lead with the hook. He said you finish with the hook, not lead with it. I tried the hook lead a couple times, probably with my weight on my lead foot. I think it was blocked once and ducked once and I got countered each time....

Thread Information