Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Has there ever been a worse commentary job than

George Foreman's in the Bernard Hopkins-Tito Trinidad fight?

Just atrocious

He was wildly biased for Tito which is not unusual for an HBO call (although he was almost bizarrely biased in Tito's favor) but beyond that he was just wrong so often.

Started off by saying Bernard's strategy of moving against Tito was wrong because moving against a guy like Tito saps your energy. Fine I guess, not right in this case but oh well, but then he follows this by saying that Bernard was doing the wrong thing whenever he stood in front of Tito

Said that "Tito was one of those champs you have to knock out to beat" OK

Said in round five there were "all kinds of signs" that Hopkins was wearing down.

After an entertaining round 6 that Bernard won "You're not gonna find this kind of determination in a fighter like Tito Trinidad" Bernard apparently was just kind of determined. This was when Merchant came out with the why can't you give him any credit George line.

It was at least the seventh round before he figured out there were two fighters.

Practically everything he said was wildly inaccurate. Absolute hero worship, funny stuff.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Has there ever been a worse commentary job than

I always found Foreman to be a very bizarre commentator. He was very funny in the Barrera/Hamed fight too.

I got a new George Foreman grill delivered yesterday actually and had a steak for lunch. Very good it was too. Foreman was better at boxing and endorsing double sided grills than commentating really.

He wasn't very insightful, but he was lively. It was always interesting waiting to hear what he would say next no matter how odd. Puts Lennox to shame.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its funny Hopkins fans always ripped Lampley and Merchant for being biased against Hopkins in the Taylor fights especially (and they were but nothing like this) but they were almost cheerleading for Hopkins in the Tito fight. Maybe partially in response to George's craziness, partially in response to Hopkins performance and in Lampley's case I think almost solely because he was still in despair about the ODLH-Tito fight

I've never used a foreman grill. I know somebody that used to live next door to George in the pre-grill days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In the Pacquiao-Ledwaba fight, George was so pro-Ledwaba it was actually kind of funny. As each round progressed, Pacquiao just kept blasting Ledwaba worse and worse and George just kept on complimenting and basically kept talking about how Ledwaba would come back. And to hear him attempt to say "Pacquiao" was actually funny too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was totally biased through the first 6 rounds.

Merchant put him in his place around the 7th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

foremans an incredibly biased pundit

remember the 2 griffin-toney fights particularly the 1st one which was right down the middle and yet foreman was claiming toney had it by a landslide.....montell went on to take the win!!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think we all know what the worst commentary was in any fight...

Duran vs Moore

They had this lady.. who apparently knew nothing about boxing, whatsoever. She was just rambling. You could just her long pauses after she said something, like the regular commentators were covering their mics telling her to shut up.

She said, "I think Duran is going to wear out from punching him so much!" Then she says, "No Duran isn't going to wear out he can just keep throwing forever!" She was squawking all sorts of random crap. I really like that fight, but I have to watch it with the volume down and just imagine the sounds Davey gets hit with to the body.

I swear this lady worked in a New Jersey nail salon or something.
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You've obviously never heard Jim McDonald commentate. He wasn't biased but he was indescribably bad. He hasn't done it for a few years now thankfully.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Steve Holdsworth is the best commentator I've ever heard IN MY ENTIRE LIFE !!!

This guy is PRICELESS!

Give it a listen, fellas, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

It's from the Ruslan Chagaev/Sedreck Fields fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxTKgY359N0

Holdsworth was once a boxer himself, so at least he's not one of those know-nothing, know-it-alls who never had a glove on in his life.
    He's pretty harsh though...and hilarious.

Imagine this guy calling the fights on HBO with drunken old Larry Merchant.

That'd be GOLD.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HOLY SHITE!!!

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't really care too much what Foreman says, he's just there for entertainment value. I just think he's a funny guy, and a decent person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The best Foreman performance was when he was ringside for the Cotto-Paulie fight, and he pronounced "Malignaggi" about 15 different ways during the fight.

As others have said, there were plenty of times where Foreman would pick a side and be incredibly biased. He did it during Trinidad-Hopkins, he also completely favored Oscar when he fought Quartey, and then during DLH-Vargas he kept bashing Floyd Sr the whole time.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    The best Foreman performance was when he was ringside for the Cotto-Paulie fight, and he pronounced "Malignaggi" about 15 different ways during the fight.

As others have said, there were plenty of times where Foreman would pick a side and be incredibly biased. He did it during Trinidad-Hopkins, he also completely favored Oscar when he fought Quartey, and then during DLH-Vargas he kept bashing Floyd Sr the whole time.
    The Oscar-Quartey fight was the worst. First off, I'm not sure he had ever seen Quartey fight before that, even if he had called fights of his previously. He wrote Quartey's jab off as average "not one of the jabs from the 40's, 50's or 60's like Oscar has" That was awwffuullll. My favorite exchange in the commentary that bout was when Quarteywas at the end of a dominating round, one of the real clear cut rounds in the fight and Foreman was at the end of an Oscar rant.

Merchant: But Oscar isn't doing anything this round George.
    Foreman: Not much is a lot for Oscar De La Hoya.

As much shit as Lampley gets forr being pro De La Hoya, Foreeman was exponentially worse. The one fight I can recall where he wasn't overly pro-Oscar was against Camacho of all people.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    George Foreman's in the Bernard Hopkins-Tito Trinidad fight?

Just atrocious

He was wildly biased for Tito which is not unusual for an HBO call (although he was almost bizarrely biased in Tito's favor) but beyond that he was just wrong so often.

Started off by saying Bernard's strategy of moving against Tito was wrong because moving against a guy like Tito saps your energy. Fine I guess, not right in this case but oh well, but then he follows this by saying that Bernard was doing the wrong thing whenever he stood in front of Tito

Said that "Tito was one of those champs you have to knock out to beat" OK

Said in round five there were "all kinds of signs" that Hopkins was wearing down.

After an entertaining round 6 that Bernard won "You're not gonna find this kind of determination in a fighter like Tito Trinidad" Bernard apparently was just kind of determined. This was when Merchant came out with the why can't you give him any credit George line.

It was at least the seventh round before he figured out there were two fighters.

Practically everything he said was wildly inaccurate. Absolute hero worship, funny stuff.
    I never thought George Foreman was a good commentator, sometimes he would say intelligent comments but those very few comments were overshadowed. By the other rambling nonsense sorry but George Foreman was never really a good commentator IMO.

Roy Jones Jr, Sugar Ray Leonard, Kevin Kelley, were all good commentators who could predict how fights would go. Give sound advice and not spout out rambling nonsense. And they were never ever really biased IMO, George Foreman hasn't got a patch on any of the fighters above regarding commentating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Lennox is the worst ever hands down. It actually chills me to hear this man speak. Bumbling and stumbling through the whole fight. Foreman is very biased in some fight's but he does have some entertainment chops when commentating.

Thread Information