Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shane Mosley, Will He Take The Paul Williams Challenge?

Share/Bookmark
    XaduBoxer Guest

Default Shane Mosley, Will He Take The Paul Williams Challenge?

link --> Shane Mosley, Will He Take The Paul Williams Challenge?

During the last two weeks, WBA welterweight champion "Sugar" Shane Mosley has been aggressively pursuing fights with Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. Also during this time, Paul "The Punisher" Williams, has been trying to get Mosley in the ring. Williams' promoter Dan Goossen became upset when he made his daily run to BoxingScene.com and saw a particular news brief that caught his attention very quickly.

"I've been patiently ignoring commenting on observing Shane Mosely beg for fights against the smaller Manny Pacquiao and come backing Floyd Mayweather, while turning his back on the BEST Welterweight in the World today, Paul Williams. As much as I wanted to say a thing or two regarding this oversight, I gave Shane the respect of keeping quiet, which as you know is tough for me to do. But enough is enough," Goossen said.

"What got me to break my silence was reading the story by BoxingScene.com's Mark Vester with quotes from Oscar de la Hoya, Shane's promoter, saying ' Mosley would crush Pacquiao in a heartbeat. That's why I think it would never happen. Mosley is willing to come down in weight and take a smaller share of the pot, which show you he wants to fight the best. Obviously that's an admirable quality," De La Hoya told Mike Rosenthal of The Ring Online.'"

Goossen is very confident with Williams. Regardless of the risk, or the weight, Goossen is willing to make the fight. Whether it be Bernard Hopkins, Kelly Pavlik, Sergio Martinez or Mosley, Williams is ready to fight them all. His last fight, in April against Winky Wright, was at 160-pounds. Williams, before moving on to bigger and better things, wants to tie up any loose ends at 147-pounds. By dominating Wright [who beat Mosley twice], Williams thought he could lure Mosley to the table. He was wrong.

Goossen is tired of hearing Mosley's excuses about securing fights that bring him the most money. Goossen is ready to offer Mosley his biggest purse since 2007. It remains to be seen if the money Goossen is offering up is enough to get Mosley interested. He promises not to beg or resort to name calling to make the fight happen.

"Simply said, the best welterweight (141 pounds to 147 pounds) in the world today is Paul Williams. Throw Shane, Manny, Floyd, Miguel (Cotto) into the mix, it doesn't matter, Paul is still the best welterweight. As a matter of fact, we believe he is also the best Super Welterweight and Middleweight fighter in the world and there's probably an argument to be made for him at 168 pounds too. Now that's a real pound-for-pound fighter to lead our sport," Goossen said.

"Now if Oscar truly believes Shane wants to fight the best it can get done with Williams. We won't beg. We won't call Shane names. No, we will just say if he REALLY wants to fight the best, than Shane's thinking exactly the way Paul is and willing to prove it in the ring. Every built-in excuse can be used not to fight Paul, which would probably be the same excuses Shane is accusing Mayweather of using against him. If, in fact, he would resort to this, it would be inaccurate. I can confidently say we would guarantee a purse to Shane that is higher than any he's been guaranteed in any given fight since 2007."

Despite being upset, Goossen agreed with De La Hoya on one item - he doesn't believe a fight between Mosley and Manny Pacquiao will ever happen.

"Oscar also said in this piece, "I just don't feel Freddie and Manny will do it. ... Mosley is too big a threat...And it's why he's (Freddie) not going to risk his fighter's pound-for-pound status against a real champion like Mosley."
    "I agree with Oscar the fight won't happen. Now lets see if Shane is willing to risk his status against a real champion like Paul Williams? Obviously if he did, that would be an admirable quality," Goossen said.

BoxingScene would contact Richard Schaefer, CEO for Golden Boy Promotions [who promote Mosley], to get his opinion on the matter. Schaefer doesn't see a Mosley-Williams fight happening. He says Mosley is very particular about the fights he currently wants, and Williams is not one of those fights. Schaefer doesn't believe that any of the top welterweights are going to fight Williams. He says the best road for Williams is to chase fights at 160 or 168, divisions where opponents are more likely to accept his call.

"I don't think that fight is going to happen. Right now Shane wants the biggest fights out there; Miguel Cotto, Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr," Schaefer said.

"Williams should look at the other weights. If he were to fight Mosley, and let's say he beat him - then what? None of the other welterweights are going to fight him. At 160 he has Felix Sturm, Arthur Abraham and Kelly Pavlik. He can go to 168 and fight Chad Dawson. Williams is a good fighter. Williams is very nice, very polite, but if I was his promoter - I would look for fights at 160 or 168-pounds, where he won't have so many problems [getting fights]."

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shane Mosley, Will He Take The Paul Williams Challenge?

Manny should fight Mosley. Why should Mosley fight Williams who seems to be a MW or LMW these days. I think Williams is all wrong for Mosley TBH anyway.

Mosley/Manny. What's the problem there?

XaduBoxer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Manny should fight Mosley. Why should Mosley fight Williams who seems to be a MW or LMW these days. I think Williams is all wrong for Mosley TBH anyway.

No problem... except everybody bitching on the 142/143 catchweight...

If Mosley can't successfully win the Pacquiao Sweepstakes, hope he will settle with Williams...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would love to see Mosley Williams. On the other hand, i would love to see Pac challenge mosley AT 147... None of this catchweight crap, it should be outlawed. It just makes a total mockery of the sport even more than the individual boxing organisations do.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by HeadBoxer View Post

If Mosley can't successfully win the Pacquiao Sweepstakes, hope he will settle with Williams...
    The catch weight thing is a load of bollocks. It should be no lower than 145. Maybe Manny should just stick to 140 if he cannot go any higher.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The catch weight thing is a load of bollocks. It should be no lower than 145. Maybe Manny should just stick to 140 if he cannot go any higher.
    Totally agree Miles. Although what is painfully obvious is that Pac can go higher as he fought ODLH at 147. Pac would no way beat Mosley at 147 end of story and Mr Roach knows it.......

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not against the catch weight thing, it can help often to make intriguing fights to happen (like Moseley Pacquiao) but I would prefer, if possible, to see Sugar Shanny to finish up his career crossing fire with the other great of his division like Paul William.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mosley stop chasing and challenging pac if youre not willing to go down all the way to 140. All this catchweight business is BS. Stay at 147 and accept PW's challenge who is willing to fight you at 147.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by left cross View Post
    Mosley stop chasing and challenging pac if youre not willing to go down all the way to 140. All this catchweight business is BS. Stay at 147 and accept PW's challenge who is willing to fight you at 147.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Mosley against Cotto really. Williams could be a stylistic nightmare for Mosley with his size and output. I have a hard time seeing Mosley beat him and I cannot see a Williams fight generating all that much money either. Cotto rematch (if Cotto wins that is) if the Manny fight doesn't happen. But Mosley/Manny at 145-147 is an intriguing fight. A shame if Manny doesn't take it really. But then again, I want to see him knocked out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On a better note will Manny Pacquiao grow a pair and fight Shane Mosely ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

excuse me for being further behind than a 1 legged midget racing usain bolt but................

headboxer = saddoboxer aka Mrs pacquiao??
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He can go higher he would just have to watch his diet more closely, he was over 152 the niht of the DLH bout and I believe near or past 147 the night of the Hatton bout, he would just have to make sure he managed not to dehydrate between weigh in and fight night and keep near weight at all times

Hard but not impossible

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With Williams size and 100+punches a round he is tough for anyone. Every Welter to Super Middle should just be thankful he doesn't pack a whole lot of fire power.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shane Mosley is gonna turn down 15 million to fight a 5`6 manny pacquiao and accept a 1.5million offer to fight a 6`1 paul williams

one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shane Mosley doesn't want to fight Paul because he's a giant. Fair play to him, he's earned the right to not have to deal with that. That an guys are much bigger money fights, risk/reward. I have no problem with this, Shane has fought everybody and deserves a big money fight against a normal sized or in Manny's case smaller guy. Of course at the same time why would Manny fight Shane at 147, Shane should understand that.

Thread Information