User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Emanuel Steward offering his services to train Cotto

Share/Bookmark
    XaduBoxer Guest

Default Emanuel Steward offering his services to train Cotto

Promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank hopes to have signed contracts from Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto by the end of the week. Arum is trying to match his two fighters for November 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Even before Cotto won a decision over Joshua Clottey last Saturday, Arum met with Cotto to discuss a Pacquiao encounter.

"When Miguel was training in Tampa, I met with Miguel Cotto, his father and [attorney] Gabriel PeñagarÃ*cano to discuss the possibility of a fight with Pacquiao. They asked me for a written proposal to be sent and they made some notations that we plan to discuss [this week]," Arum said to Primera Hora.

Pacquiao gave Arum the order to get the Cotto fight made. The two discussed the fight in New York during Pacquiao's recent trip to the East Coast. Pacquiao attended the Boxing Writers Awards Dinner last Friday and sat ringside the following night for Cotto's win over Clottey in Madison Square Garden. Arum sat down with Pacquiao at his hotel to discuss a Cotto encounter.

"[Manny] gave me the green light to try to reach an agreement with Miguel. So it's ideal that by the end of this week we could make all of the details. Both boxers are part of Top Rank and my interest is making money, "Arum said.

As far as Emanuel Steward coming on board in Cotto's corner, Arum was contatced by Steward but told the hall-of-fame trainer to contact Cotto directly.

"I told him to talk to Cotto, Miguel's father, and PeñagarÃ*cano on the matter. I do not want to intervene in this matter, since it's a decision for Cotto to make, " Arum said.

XaduBoxer Guest

Default Re: Emanuel Steward offering his services to train Cotto

link --> Manny Steward to train Cotto?

I did not realize that Manny Steward was in the Volunteers of America program but apparently he is.

Steward, the Goldfather who built the now dismantled Kronk Gym dynasty when people actually worked, lived and sometimes thrived in now battered Detroit, must be because he just put in a bid to become Miguel Cotto´s head trainer.

What is a tad bizarre is that Steward spoke to Bob Arum, promoter of both Cotto and his Nov. 14 opponent Manny Pacquiao, about his desire.

Perhaps Steward was trying to be proper, to go through channels, but did he think for an everloving minute that Arum would even want to give off the appearance of fortifying the Boricua Bomber for an assault on Top Rank´s top client and cash cow, Da Pacman?

Arum, still as sharp mentally as a box of tacks as he closes in on his 80th birthday, immediately went the hands off, no can do, no want to do route.

Arum told the Kronkmeister he should speak directly to Cotto lawyer, Gabe Penagaricano, and to the fighter himself.

Uncle Bob is the paragon of impartiality when it comes to anything involving Pacquiao, you see.

At this point in Cotto´s career, having Steward come in as the lead trainer would reek of an unnecessary publicity stunt, that´s all, something along the lines of when Angelo Dundee was brought in to advise Oscar De La Hoya on how to beat Pacman.

Best of advice the great man Angelo could´ve given punched ticket Oscar would have been to retire BEFORE the savage and humiliating beatdown by Pacquiao. But then Dundee would have been firing himself.

Sure, Steward would do all the right things, say all the right things and add some flair to the scene in the Cotto camp.

But you tell me, what wrinkles is Steward going to add to finished pugilistic product Cotto now?

Anyone remember how Floyd Mayweather Sr. was going to refine Ricky Hatton and teach that old dog some new ring tricks?

That turned into a disaster of Titanic proportions. The Hatton camp is still moaning and grouping about Pretty Daddy showing up at the gym on Mayweather time and other gripes.

Could Hatton have done any worse against Pacman if he had kept longtime tutor and Olympian beer drinker Billy Graham in his corner? How, by getting waxed in one round instead of two?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Manny Steward wont make Cotto faster than Pac. Pac speed will dominate Cotto, unless Cotto connects with a combo that could hurt Pac.

Speed kills

No way Cotto beats Pac the way he fought Clottey. Too predictable
    Hidden Content
    RIP, Crazy Samurai. Thank you for your Drumming.

XaduBoxer Guest

Is Steward only after for the fat trainer's fee?? Just like Floyd Sr. did to Hatton... Cotto slated to have a megafight in November... Cotto could possibly have a $10 million purse for this mega fight...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by XaduBoxer View Post
    link --> Manny Steward to train Cotto?

I did not realize that Manny Steward was in the Volunteers of America program but apparently he is.

Steward, the Goldfather who built the now dismantled Kronk Gym dynasty when people actually worked, lived and sometimes thrived in now battered Detroit, must be because he just put in a bid to become Miguel Cotto´s head trainer.

What is a tad bizarre is that Steward spoke to Bob Arum, promoter of both Cotto and his Nov. 14 opponent Manny Pacquiao, about his desire.

Perhaps Steward was trying to be proper, to go through channels, but did he think for an everloving minute that Arum would even want to give off the appearance of fortifying the Boricua Bomber for an assault on Top Rank´s top client and cash cow, Da Pacman?

Arum, still as sharp mentally as a box of tacks as he closes in on his 80th birthday, immediately went the hands off, no can do, no want to do route.

Arum told the Kronkmeister he should speak directly to Cotto lawyer, Gabe Penagaricano, and to the fighter himself.

Uncle Bob is the paragon of impartiality when it comes to anything involving Pacquiao, you see.

At this point in Cotto´s career, having Steward come in as the lead trainer would reek of an unnecessary publicity stunt, that´s all, something along the lines of when Angelo Dundee was brought in to advise Oscar De La Hoya on how to beat Pacman.

Best of advice the great man Angelo could´ve given punched ticket Oscar would have been to retire BEFORE the savage and humiliating beatdown by Pacquiao. But then Dundee would have been firing himself.

Sure, Steward would do all the right things, say all the right things and add some flair to the scene in the Cotto camp.

But you tell me, what wrinkles is Steward going to add to finished pugilistic product Cotto now?

Anyone remember how Floyd Mayweather Sr. was going to refine Ricky Hatton and teach that old dog some new ring tricks?

That turned into a disaster of Titanic proportions. The Hatton camp is still moaning and grouping about Pretty Daddy showing up at the gym on Mayweather time and other gripes.

Could Hatton have done any worse against Pacman if he had kept longtime tutor and Olympian beer drinker Billy Graham in his corner? How, by getting waxed in one round instead of two?
    This guy is out of it I swear! Top Rank is the promoter.

Emanuel Stewart is in touch with the real world whereas Mayweather Sr. well... you get my point. Mayweather Sr. and did give a shit about Hatton. All that trainer stuff with Oscar was about hyping the fight. Does Marley really think Steward's motivation is a paycheck? Maybe he should interview Steward and find out before making assumptions.
    Last edited by fan johnny; 06-17-2009 at 11:30 PM.

XaduBoxer Guest

IMO Steward believes Cotto could win this planned megafight if Cotto has the proper fight preparations which includes him being the head trainer...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is Steward only after for the fat trainer's fee?? Just like Floyd Sr. did to Hatton... Cotto slated to have a megafight in November... Cotto could possibly have a $10 million purse for this mega fight...
    He says "having Steward come in as the lead trainer would reek of an unnecessary publicity stunt, that´s all" You posted the article and I when read it didn't make complete sense. When I read his complete article it makes even less sense. Steward is bad for Cotto but good for Mayweather Jr.

SigmaMu Guest

Stewie would not be my first choice, he would be second to last with McDirt.

I would like some one like Marble Mouth Teddy Atlas, another trainer who gained my respect is Nazim Richardson but if Stewie was available, I would take him over Jose Santiago (WHO) exactly. Cotto's problems have been when he is on the ropes and or trying to fight going backwards, although his defense looked a little tighter against Clottey, he was still eating upper cuts, he seems to be a sucker for those and eats them like m&m's. Cotto's other problem stems from the fact that he has to sit down on his punches when inside to get to the body and that is when he eats upper cuts, he needs to learn to clintch once in a while, he has become too predictable and I feel that his thrashing he got from Plasterito really did a number on him, was it more metal than physical? Maybe both. I will say this before I close, no one has ever looked great winning against Clottey.
    END.

PS Cotto looked a little discouraged against Clottey when he was banging away on him when he had Clottey on the ropes, Cotto is not used to delivering some of his best and then have his opponent shake his head, stick out his tongue and laugh. He needs to get over that, not every one is breakable and there are those who can take a lot of punishment IE Clottey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How about Yoel Judah?

Steward's recent track record with non-heavyweights is pretty spotty, but you'd have to think he'd bring more to the table than the inexperienced guy Cotto has right now.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It doesn't seem like an obvious matchup at all. Cotto has done very well with the system he has had, and I really feel the Clottey fight was made a lot tougher because of the cut. There is no real need for change, especially not with Emmanuel Steward in his corner. Lordy, lordy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Emanuel just wants to help out, not take over as lead trainer. He sees a fighter with a great heart and a champion-like spirit. Not only that, Cotto was disciplined enough to keep his defensive stance and ring intelligence sustained throughout the championship rounds.

*sigh...... ... I'm going to just say it.

Cotto looks like damaged goods, and I know Steward just wants to help a great fighter become "GREAT."

The Cotto that fought before he fought Tony, was a devastating fighter. I believe that Margarito's "plaster of hammers" did cause some slight damage. In this 'game' any edge or small disadvantage can be life-changing. I believe Steward sees this and only wants to help a boxer who was born to fight.

Was New York, Cali most recently to present
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see a problem with this, his uncle is not training him, so I say why not. His camp is already kind of a mess. Steward is a great trainer. He will tell you how it is. Cotto knows what to do in the ring, but Emanuel could just be that driving voice. Giving him straight talk.I am sure steward could give him a thing or two as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank hopes to have signed contracts from Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto by the end of the week. Arum is trying to match his two fighters for November 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Even before Cotto won a decision over Joshua Clottey last Saturday, Arum met with Cotto to discuss a Pacquiao encounter.

"When Miguel was training in Tampa, I met with Miguel Cotto, his father and [attorney] Gabriel Peñagar�*cano to discuss the possibility of a fight with Pacquiao. They asked me for a written proposal to be sent and they made some notations that we plan to discuss [this week]," Arum said to Primera Hora.

Pacquiao gave Arum the order to get the Cotto fight made. The two discussed the fight in New York during Pacquiao's recent trip to the East Coast. Pacquiao attended the Boxing Writers Awards Dinner last Friday and sat ringside the following night for Cotto's win over Clottey in Madison Square Garden. Arum sat down with Pacquiao at his hotel to discuss a Cotto encounter.

"[Manny] gave me the green light to try to reach an agreement with Miguel. So it's ideal that by the end of this week we could make all of the details. Both boxers are part of Top Rank and my interest is making money, "Arum said.

As far as Emanuel Steward coming on board in Cotto's corner, Arum was contatced by Steward but told the hall-of-fame trainer to contact Cotto directly.

"I told him to talk to Cotto, Miguel's father, and Peñagar�*cano on the matter. I do not want to intervene in this matter, since it's a decision for Cotto to make, " Arum said.
    i'm surprisd on how honest arum is: my interest is making money. a slap to the face for the arum critics huh?

Thread Information