Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: roberto MANOS DE PIEDRA duran

Quote Originally Posted by johnsebastianmiran View Post
    I recently participated in another post about Duran and I want to point out that Duran was becoming beatable as he got older and that is when his career started to get strenuous. In His prime had he moved up sooner he had the uncanny ability to adjust. Most of his big wins were in the lightweight class. His trainer legendary Freddy Brown said that the most difficult thing he ever had to do was negotiate Duran's training regimen. Ray Arcel said that he was lucky get Roberto to train for the periods of training for his big fights he got from three to eight weeks. Duran had natural talent and he was old school. You could not hit him with a solid blow because he rolled with the punches. Pernell Whittaker would be surprised and the Benitez fight would have been different if Roberto had trained, I like Meldrick Taylor but Duran was a savage at anything near 135 pounds and even when he wasn't in shape he adjusted and beat you. Remember when he started to lose it was after age thirty and he fought close to 100 fights and he did fight all time greats, win or lose age forgives no one.
    all true mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy448 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    I'd probably slightly favor Norris. I don't know. He could win but if he got macho it could go wrong for him.

I'm pretty set on Meldrick and to an extent Shane. Pea and Floyd are hard. I just think he's better than Tito.

You could take the middles farther, Monzon would beat him, etc. He's not beating an all time great middle.
    he came very close with hagler. think he was ahead after 12, shame it was a 15 rounder
    I disagree on this. IF this was a 12 rounder, Hagler turns it up from rounds 10-12 instead of 13-15. In Hagler's prime, the so called championship rounds he would turn up the intensity as he did against Duran in their fight.

He knew when the rounds are close and needed to turn it up.
    maybe so mate who can tell, i thought duran did well to stay with him tho, being that he was not at his prime weight and hagler was a career middleweight. just goes to show the depth and skill of the man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CGM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

At Lightweight he was amazing and he had some very good wins, but again i don't feel it was anything amazing. Its the way he comeback like against Davey Moore, Iran Barkley, ETC. That made him special IMO.

Yeah, it was great the way he would roll back the clock every once in a while. I saw the Moore fight live on the tube, I was for Duran all the way, but at the same time it was a bit of a downer cause you knew after a couple of rounds that Moore was fucked with that eye injury, I'm surprised they let it go as long as they did. Duran smelled blood and was all over him.
    moore took a savage beating that fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by johnsebastianmiran View Post
    I recently participated in another post about Duran and I want to point out that Duran was becoming beatable as he got older and that is when his career started to get strenuous. In His prime had he moved up sooner he had the uncanny ability to adjust. Most of his big wins were in the lightweight class. His trainer legendary Freddy Brown said that the most difficult thing he ever had to do was negotiate Duran's training regimen. Ray Arcel said that he was lucky get Roberto to train for the periods of training for his big fights he got from three to eight weeks. Duran had natural talent and he was old school. You could not hit him with a solid blow because he rolled with the punches. Pernell Whittaker would be surprised and the Benitez fight would have been different if Roberto had trained, I like Meldrick Taylor but Duran was a savage at anything near 135 pounds and even when he wasn't in shape he adjusted and beat you. Remember when he started to lose it was after age thirty and he fought close to 100 fights and he did fight all time greats, win or lose age forgives no one.
    Props to you, very, very well said.

Thread Information