Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I always wanted to meet you...

As most of you know now the legendary boxer Alexis Arguello has passed away.
    Beyond the reason of his passing which IMO will be one of those "What really happened" due to the life he lived. Politcs, drug use etc. etc. etc.

About 2 years ago I would have met you would I have traveled to the IBHF cermony. Instead what happened was a really good friend of mine said he would get me your autograph glove with your name on it. I didn't get my hopes up since things can go wrong and you just never know. A couple weeks later I talk to the friend and he tells me it's on it's way. I could not sleep for the next few days just thinking about.

You see, some people idolize Joe Louis, then theirs those who idolize Ali and so on. As fine boxing goes I idolized Alexis and to think that I would have in my posession that was signed by him was just insane for me.

The glove arrives and surprise, surprise not only is it signed by Alexis but it's also signed by another fav. fighter of mine "El Nino De La Bondonjo" Ruben Olivares. I almost fell of the edge of my bed when I saw this. As I held the glove I said one day I'll meet you and I'll take a pic. with you and the glove...

Today, I get a call from a friend of mine who's Nicaraguan and it's about 9:00 am and he tells me in his words; "Eeeey loco.. No me vaz a creer loco. No loco I'm sorry. Ya sabes no? Oh! no sabes. No loco esque te tengo some bad news. Se murio Alexis Arguello."

Man when he told me that, I knew it wasn't a joke or anything. I believed him and talked briefly I looked it up online and nothing, no news or reports. So I call him back and ask him where he saw this or read this he said his uncle called him from Nicaragua with just minutes from it happening. So as I sat there not being able to read what happened or just more things on it. I started getting teary eyed, and suddenly flashes of his fights. The right hand he lands on Pryor when Pryors head snaps back and he literally see's the people behind him, the hook he lands on Escalera, the right hand on Rooney, the body shot he lands on Mancini, the right hands he lands on Olivares who could ever forget his destruction of Kobayashi, Hernandez, Limon, Chacon, Boza and Navarrete. Just all these images of him fighting. His classic blue trunks with Alexis on the front.
    I started replaying in my mind the interview he gave after the Mancini fight and his words just echoed in my head.

Once I read reports I just flat out cried. I cried, I stepped outside and just sat on the sidewalk and let out some tears. Alexis was dead and gone was one of my fav. fighters more then that a genuine person who spoke from his heart and said things as he felt. He didn't sugar coat things he was honest and sincere. He blamed himself 1st before anyone and he knew his wrong doings but he always tried to better himself and he tried to live a good life. Sometimes you get tangled into the webs of politics and in a country like Nicaragua well that web is never ending. Especially the stage in which the country is at now... But that's another story.

In my eyes to see Alexis fight was a thing of beauty. His stance, the way his thin long arm would extend and just like dynamite would explode at the point of contact. His thin long legs from which he used to creat this strength that gave us some spertacular KO's. The Explosive Thin Man, has a nickname ever graced another boxer as much as it did with him? Well I'm sure we could come up with a few that did but for my likings I'll stick with this one. Every shot he threw was committed, every hook with intentions to knock your head off and every right hand with intentions to send you to sleep.

I rate Alexis in my to top 10 always have and always will because often people forget how dominant he was during his regin and some of the things he accomplished in the ring are amazing. I think he's appreciated but at the same time I feel he is underrated by many and I truely believe that has to do with the Pryor fight but for those who have seen and know about Alexis beyond the Pryor fights know Alexis is an ATG and deserves much more credit that he gets and much more praise then what he gets. Just read my signature and see his accomplishments.

Alexis always respected his opponents and carried himself with honor to the sport.

I always wanted to meet you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I always wanted to meet you...

Mick sorry to hear about your faves passing

we go back a long way now, at least 5-6 years and your knowledge of the boxers most have not even heard of always stands out.

but remember, humans come and go, thats life, but legends never die
    I'm the real pretty boy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good read. I agree with you classifying him as an ATG

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hadn't heard before this
    Only yesterday I posted in the Pryor thread what a gentleman he always was.

Truely sad to hear this.

ATG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Beyond the reason of his passing which IMO will be one of those "What really happened" due to the life he lived. Politcs, drug use etc. etc. etc.

About 2 years ago I would have met you would I have traveled to the IBHF cermony. Instead what happened was a really good friend of mine said he would get me your autograph glove with your name on it. I didn't get my hopes up since things can go wrong and you just never know. A couple weeks later I talk to the friend and he tells me it's on it's way. I could not sleep for the next few days just thinking about.

You see, some people idolize Joe Louis, then theirs those who idolize Ali and so on. As fine boxing goes I idolized Alexis and to think that I would have in my posession that was signed by him was just insane for me.

The glove arrives and surprise, surprise not only is it signed by Alexis but it's also signed by another fav. fighter of mine "El Nino De La Bondonjo" Ruben Olivares. I almost fell of the edge of my bed when I saw this. As I held the glove I said one day I'll meet you and I'll take a pic. with you and the glove...

Today, I get a call from a friend of mine who's Nicaraguan and it's about 9:00 am and he tells me in his words; "Eeeey loco.. No me vaz a creer loco. No loco I'm sorry. Ya sabes no? Oh! no sabes. No loco esque te tengo some bad news. Se murio Alexis Arguello."

Man when he told me that, I knew it wasn't a joke or anything. I believed him and talked briefly I looked it up online and nothing, no news or reports. So I call him back and ask him where he saw this or read this he said his uncle called him from Nicaragua with just minutes from it happening. So as I sat there not being able to read what happened or just more things on it. I started getting teary eyed, and suddenly flashes of his fights. The right hand he lands on Pryor when Pryors head snaps back and he literally see's the people behind him, the hook he lands on Escalera, the right hand on Rooney, the body shot he lands on Mancini, the right hands he lands on Olivares who could ever forget his destruction of Kobayashi, Hernandez, Limon, Chacon, Boza and Navarrete. Just all these images of him fighting. His classic blue trunks with Alexis on the front.
    I started replaying in my mind the interview he gave after the Mancini fight and his words just echoed in my head.

Once I read reports I just flat out cried. I cried, I stepped outside and just sat on the sidewalk and let out some tears. Alexis was dead and gone was one of my fav. fighters more then that a genuine person who spoke from his heart and said things as he felt. He didn't sugar coat things he was honest and sincere. He blamed himself 1st before anyone and he knew his wrong doings but he always tried to better himself and he tried to live a good life. Sometimes you get tangled into the webs of politics and in a country like Nicaragua well that web is never ending. Especially the stage in which the country is at now... But that's another story.

In my eyes to see Alexis fight was a thing of beauty. His stance, the way his thin long arm would extend and just like dynamite would explode at the point of contact. His thin long legs from which he used to creat this strength that gave us some spertacular KO's. The Explosive Thin Man, has a nickname ever graced another boxer as much as it did with him? Well I'm sure we could come up with a few that did but for my likings I'll stick with this one. Every shot he threw was committed, every hook with intentions to knock your head off and every right hand with intentions to send you to sleep.

I rate Alexis in my to top 10 always have and always will because often people forget how dominant he was during his regin and some of the things he accomplished in the ring are amazing. I think he's appreciated but at the same time I feel he is underrated by many and I truely believe that has to do with the Pryor fight but for those who have seen and know about Alexis beyond the Pryor fights know Alexis is an ATG and deserves much more credit that he gets and much more praise then what he gets. Just read my signature and see his accomplishments.

Alexis always respected his opponents and carried himself with honor to the sport.

a great piece that was mate, i feel ur pain, rest in piece champ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quality story mate, always sad when one of your personal faves leaves the stage , but as someone said a legend is forever.

I remember after the Jim Watt fight, the local papers headline was 'Battered Bloodied and Bruised but I'm not dead' with a picture of Watt's face after the fight, he said at the time there was no shame in losing to someone with that amount of skill and was glad he held on for 15 rounds against such an ATG.

The guy always had that big smile and seemed like an engaging guy, I hope he has finally found his peace.

Sad sad day for boxing. Respect, RIP champ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I got word of this yesterday morning Mick, it simply floored me. His craft and professionalism was so immense. I remember back in I think 1985, when he made his comeback. He had a fight against Bill Costello on CBS Sports. That fight is etched in my mind forever.

Tim Ryan and Gil Clancy were commentating. Alexis was so professional and soft spoken beforehand. He said he was coming back because the desire was there again. He wanted that one last crack at a championship.

When the fight started he was very rusty, but he was in with Costello, who was fast and no slouch being a former champ himself. As the third round came about, he started finding his rhythm and timing.

In the fourth round, Gil said to Tim, "I wonder how long it will be before Arguello lands his big right hand?" Tim goes, "but does he still have his big right hand is my questing Gil". Then no less than a second later BOOM!.

Gil Clancy: "There's your answer Tim, There's your answer!"

Me and Dad were jumping for Joy. We had that fight recorded and VHS and watched that over and over until the tape wore out. He never made that comeback like he promised, but man oh man, what a swansong fight. I consider that fight his last true one. The comeback he made a decade later was too late, but if he would have stayed there and kept going in 1985, he would have captured the title that eluded him against pryor.

So many memories. Such a class act. He is one of my favorite fighters of all time.

I wish I still had that fight. Gil Clancy and Tim Ryan are IMO the best commentating duo who ever hit the airwaves. They would flow off each other perfectly. I miss Arguello. I miss CBS Sports Boxing. I don't even want to tell dad Alexis is gone now. He is 84 years old and it will take something from him I think. I will tell him though, as I know it will rekindle incredible memories in him too.

Arguello had such an incredible career, but it was that fight that I remember most vividly. I watched it so many times back then. That was Arguello making a statement to Pryor that he was not going to be denied. The 4th was within his grasp again.
    Last edited by Deanrw; 07-02-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

An all time great without doubt. He will be forever missed. RIP.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was this He was that, But importantly He was a very Nice Guy. It was my Pleasure meeting Him RIP CHAMP.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post

I know this wasnt the point but I appreciate how candid you were in this self chronicle.

I know this is sad news for you as Alexis was a fighter and a man you looked up to. He had a charming smile and a way about him that was captivating.

Chin up Brutha and hope you feel better soon.
    Last edited by JT Rock; 07-02-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Class insight as usual Mick.Very nice.Ive always equated fighters/fights and the attachment,fan fare and emotion we experience when we follow our favorites similar to that of music we love......when we listened to a great song for the first time....and hear it again years later.You remember where you were and exactly what you were doing.Nothing beats that feeling and those memories.Take care bud and may he rest in peace!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

R.I.P. Alexis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really touching CMM; straight from the heart and passionate, much like Arguello inside and outside the ring.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice post
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember also after the second Pryor fight, he was in floods of tears, acknowledging his retirement and he turned to Pryor on front of the TV cameras and said in broken English (he was very emotional) "anything I can ever do for you or your family let me know."
    What a man.

Thread Information