Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default missing B-Hop...

If he`s going to retire can he just make it official so we can all bask in what has been a truly spectacular career by an amazing technician.

Or can we just please shove in 1-2 more fights and have him own dawson and adamek PLEASE
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: missing B-Hop...

I think he'd handle Adamek.

Dawson's speed could pose some issues though. If you look at him in the later stages of his career its speed that has given him problems.

I suspect he fights again.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't miss him. He's been a boring old bastard for nigh on half a decade now. I used to be a fan, but his style has begun to grate horribly. Admittedly, he looked decent against Pavlik, but Pavlik was 5kg's beyond what he should have been fighting at and seemed seriously under the weather. I don't think it was solely because Hopkins is that good.

I hope he retires really. I can see him getting shown up horribly against someone like Adamek or Dawson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    I don't miss him. He's been a boring old bastard for nigh on half a decade now. I used to be a fan, but his style has begun to grate horribly. Admittedly, he looked decent against Pavlik, but Pavlik was 5kg's beyond what he should have been fighting at and seemed seriously under the weather. I don't think it was solely because Hopkins is that good.

I hope he retires really. I can see him getting shown up horribly against someone like Adamek or Dawson.

Anyone can blow a guy out with fast hand speed, power etc

But a guy who is 44 has been boxing with the big boys for over 17 years now and is still yet to be floored.

Even youve got admit miles thats pretty fucking incredible??

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wont miss the boring old sod.

Stay up til 4am to watch him ulgy a fight to death. Great stuff.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    I think he'd handle Adamek.

Dawson's speed could pose some issues though. If you look at him in the later stages of his career its speed that has given him problems.

I suspect he fights again.
    He'll choose Tomasz Adamek who is good, but is a very winnable fight for Bernard Hopkins. If Chad Dawson can almost shut out Tomasz Adamek i don't see why Bernard Hopkins can't.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

But a guy who is 44 has been boxing with the big boys for over 17 years now and is still yet to be floored.

His longevity is quite remarkable. No doubts about that. But his style is so ugly and it's becoming more like an old man looking to fight for 30 seconds and the rest of the time just trying to breathe his way through the round.

I have no inclination to see him fight on. And he is all about fighters going up in weight to face him. Winky, Calzaghe and Pavlik. Winky and Pavlik were horribly beyond their normal fighting weights. Calzaghe showed him for what he is now.

He had a great career throughout a fair part of his 30's. But I have lost interest.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins was floored twice by Mercado. He's also a defensive first fighter, especially later in his career, so hardly surprising he hasn't been down much.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Hopkins was floored twice by Mercado. He's also a defensive first fighter, especially later in his career, so hardly surprising he hasn't been down much.
    True but the high altitude effected Bernard Hopkins, he didn't prepare himself properly plus he gave Sergundo Mercado, a whooping in the 2nd fight. Plus my doubts about his chin erased when he took bombs off Antwun Echols without even blinking who is a big puncher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His longevity is quite remarkable. No doubts about that. But his style is so ugly and it's becoming more like an old man looking to fight for 30 seconds and the rest of the time just trying to breathe his way through the round.

I have no inclination to see him fight on. And he is all about fighters going up in weight to face him. Winky, Calzaghe and Pavlik. Winky and Pavlik were horribly beyond their normal fighting weights. Calzaghe showed him for what he is now.

He had a great career throughout a fair part of his 30's. But I have lost interest.

The guy is arguably up there with the likes of hearns, hagler and duran as one of the greatest 160ers and had he of realised he could no longer make the weight properly before the taylor fights came along and moved up weights he would right now be mentioned in the same breath as those guys.

Sure he wasnt exactly an arturo gatti or MAB but boxings about much more than just out and out fighting and during the 90s hopkins proved time and time again a world class technician will always beat a brawler

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

True but the high altitude effected Bernard Hopkins, he didn't prepare himself properly plus he gave Sergundo Mercado, a whooping in the 2nd fight. Plus my doubts about his chin erased when he took bombs off Antwun Echols without even blinking who is a big puncher.
    I told you that.

ICB Guest

The guy is arguably up there with the likes of hearns, hagler and duran as one of the greatest 160ers and had he of realised he could no longer make the weight properly before the taylor fights came along and moved up weights he would right now be mentioned in the same breath as those guys.

Sure he wasnt exactly an arturo gatti or MAB but boxings about much more than just out and out fighting and during the 90s hopkins proved time and time again a world class technician will always beat a brawler
    I actually thought MAB was a fantastic technical fighter, he certainly turned into much more of a boxer after the Junior Jones losses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yhh come on one mo fite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually thought MAB was a fantastic technical fighter, he certainly turned into much more of a boxer after the Junior Jones losses.
    very true

but he could still scrap it out with the best of them on his day

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

very true

but he could still scrap it out with the best of them on his day
    Barrera is a more complete boxer for me. I love watching him fight and his evolution has been an act of class.

Hopkins is undeniably a bit boring these days.

Thread Information