Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gym membership

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you guys pay for your gym membership? I'm asking because I think that my gym costs are a little high.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gym membership

Joe Byrd's is $30 a month. That's next to nothing compared to most gyms.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dude the gym I'm going to wants $400 a month for four months. It totals $1600 for a year membership. The only payment plan provided is the four month plan.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by awesome View Post
    Dude the gym I'm going to wants $400 a month for four months. It totals $1600 for a year membership. The only payment plan provided is the four month plan.
    That's ridiculously high. Is there some form of personal training incorporated into that cost? Even then, I think it is crazy but atleast explainable. The 4 month payment plan sounds like a bit of a ploy to exploit the many (most) people who often join, then end up quitting.

On a monthly basis, 1600 over the year isn't entirely unreasonable depending on where you are. I know of people in larger cities, in the states and so on who pay amounts that high, but with a bit of research you can prob. find a gym for free, PAL gyms in the USA for eg, or others for a lot cheaper.

Our rates here are $30 per mo, junior 10-17, Adult 18+ $35 per mo. And that is based on paying monthly. A person could pay in 3 month increments, or yearly and have it be cheaper. With this, you have access to everything anyone else does, including personal time with coaches. You'll be expected to put time in for a few months training, cardio and strength, learning the basics in groups and pairing off and such, but that is more just good sense in preparation. If a person shows the ability to learn faster, or maybe a higher level of commitment, they get fast-tracked.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you mean boxing gym it's pay as you go. Nowhere near what you're paying. Aren't there any other places to train?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i know of another gym that is ways cheaper but it isn't class focused. pretty much the trainer tells you what to do and your out on your own.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i know of another gym that is ways cheaper but it isn't class focused. pretty much the trainer tells you what to do and your out on your own.
    If the trainer knows his stuff, can teach you boxing properly, and there's quality sparring available, I'd go for it. Sometimes you got to move to find where the good gyms/trainers are at. A lot of gyms that are "classes focused" are more about taking your money while making everyone feel like they are participating. It's like pretend boxing, and it's one hell of a scam.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I pay 12,000 yen a month for my membership. But the gym is open 6 days a week, from 12-10. There are always at least 2 trainers in the gym and I usually get some mitt work and a bit of coaching every time I am there. Its not rare for the pros to offer a bit of advice too.

My gym is pretty good. For example,the manager had me relearning my left hook and uppercuts recently. I had lost all my power due to shortening my punches too much. The manager spent about 40 minutes working with me on that and left hand positioning as recently I had been dropping my hand too low.

All in all if you can find a similar gym I think you would be doing well.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris, has it spot on, Listen.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post
    If the trainer knows his stuff, can teach you boxing properly, and there's quality sparring available, I'd go for it. Sometimes you got to move to find where the good gyms/trainers are at. A lot of gyms that are "classes focused" are more about taking your money while making everyone feel like they are participating. It's like pretend boxing, and it's one hell of a scam.
    I feel ya on that one

I should've been more clear about being "class focused". As a beginner, not having any experience with boxing, I feel that the beginner classes help me a great deal. I am able to learn the basics in a relatively small class, (5-7 of us) with a trainer making sure our techniques are correct. This is the only "class" beginners have to take though. After completing 42 classes, you will move up. I have seen part of the advanced sessions (as one of the owner's rule is there will be no observers). It looks pretty much like open gym with the trainer's and the owner looking on.

I was just curious as to what others are paying because it seemed a bit steep when I heard it the first time. Thanks for the replies.

El Kabong Guest

$30 for the whole year...pretty damn sweet deal

Thread Information