Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Rumors of Pac wanting Cotto at 143 Catchweight

Read this off of a website which is posted on BoxRec.. I have a few questions as well as comments on this topic.

Question: At which point, meaning which catchweight, does Pacquaio lose a bit of the glory of beating a 'bigger' man?

Comment: Pacquaio fought a De La Hoya who had to come DOWN to 147 in weight. He straight up beat the crap out of him at this weight.

Question: Why can Pacquiao fight DLH at 147 and not Cotto?

Comment: Clearly this is an attempt at strategy to weaken your opponent to make Pac's chance to win the fight significantly higher. The idea of a catchweight is so that two fighters in separate classes can meet in the middle, or at least a fair weight, not so that you can put dollar signs in front of someones face and force them to come down to a weight where they will not be their best. This has to be one of the biggest jokes of a request by a fighters team/promoter. HE JUST FOUGHT AT 147 AND KO'D SOMEONE BIGGER THAN COTTO. If i were Cotto i'd laugh at the thought of cutting weight AFTER Manny just fought at the weight. BUT of course there is this whole biggest payday of Cotto's career thing being waved in front of his face..

Does this bother anyone else? I mean, even if Pac was my favorite fighter this would seem a bit odd.. Even if Pac was my brother, i'd tell him he's a vagina and that he's good enough to fight at 147.. or 146 even. If you're going to do it, and you want the glory for it, DO IT RIGHT!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rumors of Pac wanting Cotto at 143 Catchweight

Well I don't think there's a major problem with 145, its just evening the playing field a bit since Cotto I think can make that and its not like Manny would even come in at 145, more like 142 or so.

But 143 would be BS. However, I've only heard 145 except for one source, this examiner site which isn't exactly known for boxing news. I'm sure people will take this and run with it, the same people who said Manny was ducking Hatton, but I suspect when it comes off it will be 145. If it turns out to be 143 Manny and his team deserve the criticism unless Cotto knows something we don't, I've got to think cutting to 143 would bother him.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's the article that states the weight Manny prefers.

Pacquiao prefers 143 lbs vs Cotto | Manila Bulletin

I say if he wants Cotto's title, then he sure as $hit should not have to fight a weight drained Cotto to get it, and he should fight at the weight that Cotto defends the title at, which is 147.

If he wants Cotto to be weight drained, then it sounds to me, like he's not so confident in getting a win any other way.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

oh well if it comes off it deserves criticism but I'd like to see what happens, I still suspect it ends up at 145 and this is a bargaining ploy. We'll see though.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think 145 is evening the playing field, however, I think its at least doable for Cotto. Anything under & I think Pac loses a lot of credit he would otherwise get. However, a lot of the blame would go to Cotto for accepting it if he can't do it

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'm tired of all this catchweight bullshit, Manny wants to act like he really want's to take on Cotto, calling him out after the Clottey fight, and then asking for it to be 145 and now 143, he can show it honestly, if he's not willing to take on the best at their best, well he shouldn't even bother, take on Guzman, Campbell, Bradley, Witter, Torres, Maidana, etc.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well this kind of nullifies the point of 7th weight class right?

be it 145 or 143 those are not weight class limits.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lately I feel as if we are watching two guys in a car lot haggle over the fine print on a financing contract.This is asinine.

If Manny wants to be-win a welterweight title against one of the better welter champions.He needs to fight him at his current and proven most effective weight.Thats pretty simplictic.....but it really is that simple.Cotto should not reduce his weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The point is, there is no glory.. BOTTOM LINE!!

Cotto is an excellent boxer with a tight defense and beastly power. Cotto has shown he can battle thru adversity even if being beaten up.

I say Cotto smashes him even at 145, Miguel can box superbly off the back foot and counterpunch effectively, Manny can be counterpunched we have seen JMM do it for 24 rounds

I already stated how nauseating it is about Roach and Manny pandering for Catchweights with the 147 division, if they want to fight at 147 then do it, if not then stay at 140. These guys at Welter are there and making a living at their optimum weight. Most have grown out of 140 and cant do it thats why they moved. There is no accolades or 1 shred of dignity fighting 143lb versions of Shane or Cotto

Especially after RP33 mentioned DLH at 147 was good enough and Roach said a Mayweather fight at 147 was fine too.
    Last edited by JT Rock; 07-09-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac is becoming just as bad as Floyd is... he wants a marguee fight against a big name... just not one who has an advantage over him... his fans will knock Floyd for trying to reduce the adversity he is up against whilst earning as much as he can but they don't see how similar what Pac is doing is.

De La Hoya ended up coming in at 145 or something... Why can he cope with that, but not a 145 Cotto? weight isn't the issue here... the drain of boiling down is.

If this turns out to be true then it's because he knows that because Cotto is smaller than ODLH he would find it much easier to make that weight... and therfore wouldn't be as drained.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Well this kind of nullifies the point of 7th weight class right?
    he wants 147 pounds worth of credit... just not 147 pounds worth of boxer infront of him...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Pac is becoming just as bad as Floyd is... he wants a marguee fight against a big name... just not one who has an advantage over him... his fans will knock Floyd for trying to reduce the adversity he is up against whilst earning as much as he can but they don't see how similar what Pac is doing is.

De La Hoya ended up coming in at 145 or something... Why can he cope with that, but not a 145 Cotto? weight isn't the issue here... the drain of boiling down is.

If this turns out to be true then it's because he knows that because Cotto is smaller than ODLH he would find it much easier to make that weight... and therfore wouldn't be as drained.
    Say what you want about Floyd, but he never tried draining a fighter down before.

Hatton was at 147 before and wanted a shot at the Liner Welterweight Championship and the $$$$$$$$$ a Floyd fight brought

JMM called out Floyd and wants to be the one to take that 0 off his record

Floyd fought a healthy full 154 version of Delahoya whilst giving him every advantage, gloves, ring size etc. Why cant Pac fight Mosely or Cotto under those same conditions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They should fight at 143.7 and 3/4 on one foot with half a pair of jeans on. All this catchweight stuff is silly. They have 650 different weight classes established fight at one of those....and people cry about stuff floyd does. If this is how these guys are gonna do it now then get rid of all the belts and classes and let's just set up chairs in the street and pick the top two guys period.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What happens if pac beats cotto at a catch weight for the title? Does he then drag everyone else down to a catchweight if and when he defends it?

This is making a load of crap out of the weight divisions even more. Pacman should haul his ass off to some kind of special catchweight hang out where he could try eat shit loads of big macs and challenge an uber fit arreola to a super middleweight clash.

I'm no boxing genius by any means, but i'm sick of hearin about Pacman and what weight he fights at. You either want the fight or you don't, seems to me that he's bein a pussy and him and freddie know for sure that they can't beat cotto at 147.......... If i could set fire to this thread i would strike a cyber matchstick right now.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The negotiation is not finalized yet. So we'll see. Imo though, it won't happen below 145. Team Cotto has been pretty vocal it. Roach is cool at 145, so it's more likely the fight will happen there.

Thread Information