Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Work help

My boss came up and asked me to issue a press release. I just realized, I've never done this before. Any tips?

I know our target is a very specific market sector and NOT the public at large.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Work help

Is it already written, and you just have to release it?

Or do you have to write it, and release it yourself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HMMM....I would love to help you mate but I would neede more info...What kind of press release (What market).....Is there a list of people that you are issuing it to or do you need to find people to issue it to...

Do you have to write it or just release it....

A bit more info and I would be glad to help...Don't want to give advice towards the wrong market

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have to write it myself. I wrote a draft of it already. The market segment is hybrid microelectronics, so the publications we are looking to target are trade magazines and websites. I now which publications I want to send it to, but I'm not sure who the right contacts are at these publications. How do I determine who the right people are?

Thanks in advance.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well $hit, I just now seen your additional info, and unfortunately I have to leave for my other job, and don't have time to type some advice up.

Quick tips before I go.

Try Googling "How to Issue a Press Release" I'm sure you'll find some helpful info that way.

Also you may want to consider using a Press Release service like PRNewsWire or PRWeb, although they do charge a fee for their service.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Well $hit, I just now seen your additional info, and unfortunately I have to leave for my other job, and don't have time to type some advice up.

Quick tips before I go.

Try Googling "How to Issue a Press Release" I'm sure you'll find some helpful info that way.

Also you may want to consider using a Press Release service like PRNewsWire or PRWeb, although they do charge a fee for their service.
    I did the google thing prior to posting on here. The thing is, the market is a very private one, public services like you mentioned are not set up with contacts for my industry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First thing is to find out who at the perspective targets handle PR, second is always ask first in private business if it is OK to send a presser to them or it will more then likely end up a quick glance or spam delete depending on how you issue the release.

Second is always send 2 copies, one to the perspective person who handles such things second one to their assistant. just in case it is overlooked by the person it is intended for.

Best way to find out who a contact is is just call the companies and listen to the automated directory or ask the operator who handles PR while giving out little or no info, usually the phone person will not even ask you anything

BTW you stated it is for a small industry are you going to follow up on the pressers?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    First thing is to find out who at the perspective targets handle PR, second is always ask first in private business if it is OK to send a presser to them or it will more then likely end up a quick glance or spam delete depending on how you issue the release.

Second is always send 2 copies, one to the perspective person who handles such things second one to their assistant. just in case it is overlooked by the person it is intended for.

Best way to find out who a contact is is just call the companies and listen to the automated directory or ask the operator who handles PR while giving out little or no info, usually the phone person will not even ask you anything

BTW you stated it is for a small industry are you going to follow up on the pressers?
    There shouldn't be any need for follow ups I don't think.

Thanks for all of the advice though, I will certainly use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post

There shouldn't be any need for follow ups I don't think.

Thanks for all of the advice though, I will certainly use it.

anytime mate...if I can help with anything else let me know....I have sent out more pressers then I can remember over the years

Thread Information