Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Have Thaxton and his team lost the plot?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Have Thaxton and his team lost the plot?

Just watched the Thaxton fight from last night wtf??

First off what is he doing fighting a fucking Welterweight when he was a big fight in the horizon against Murray??

Secondly Thaxton and his team know he is way past his best hes basically an old man in boixng terms he has been a pro for 17 years, what a stupid bit of match making this was the fella who beat, ok is no Miguel Cotto but hes a decent domestic level fighter who is so much stronger and bigger than Thaxton, whose whole game is to rely on his stength and power.

What a weird matchup at such a crucial time for Thaxton, does this take the gloss off the Murray fight now?? Thaxton is way past it and I think Murray will stop him in 6.

ICB Guest

Default Re: Have Thaxton and his team lost the plot?

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post
    Just watched the Thaxton fight from last night wtf??

First off what is he doing fighting a fucking Welterweight when he was a big fight in the horizon against Murray??

Secondly Thaxton and his team know he is way past his best hes basically an old man in boixng terms he has been a pro for 17 years, what a stupid bit of match making this was the fella who beat, ok is no Miguel Cotto but hes a decent domestic level fighter who is so much stronger and bigger than Thaxton, whose whole game is to rely on his stength and power.

What a weird matchup at such a crucial time for Thaxton, does this take the gloss off the Murray fight now?? Thaxton is way past it and I think Murray will stop him in 6.
    Agreed it was a ridiculous match up, but saying that i thought John Thaxton. Earned a draw based on his last round effort, but im worried for John Thaxton against John Murray.

His stamina looked shit last night, he was huffing/puffing only after the 4th round. Now whether or not that was because he was at Welterweight, or its his age or whatever.

But if he's in that kind of shape against John Murray, who is a good pressure fighter. Certainly a better one than Tom Glover, he will get eaten alive within the same amount of rounds you think mate. I don't think it honestly takes away what a cracking fight John Murray/John Thaxton. Will be because he was fighting a Welterweight a bigger man, and the fight should of never of happpened.

One last thing i've seen Tom Glover a few times, and im quite suprised he doesn't have any KO wins. I've also thought he was quite a solid hitter, maybe its because he doesn't let his hands go enough, or whatever but that is quite shocking to me.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thaxton took a calculated risk but still think he can do well at British level, until Amir Khan gives him a chance.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Thaxton took a calculated risk but still think he can do well at British level, until Amir Khan gives him a chance.
    Thaxtons finished imo, as far back as the Stewart fight showed that I think Murray will retire him.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I think it was a completely uncalculated risk, all risk & no gain. What's he gain by beating a welter who outweighs him by 6 lbs & has no resume? Hell, Glover only won his last fight because Siddique didn't get the hint that the ref would disqualify him for hitting around the beltline, & just box his way in a fight he was winning. Stupid choice, although my understanding is he was a bit unlucky. Still bloody stupid with a Murray fight on the horizon. Then again I still hope he beats Murray, who comes across as an unprofessional little shit to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thaxtons one of them fighters you cannot help but like...but he's at the stage in his career where he should be looking to take minimum risk to prolong his ability to get good match ups and not for fights that risk his closing career! I was willing him on,but you could see that the reserves are drying up and the stamina is waining!

Time to hangem up now...he's looking a spent force!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow,i did'nt know Thaxton was fighting last night.What channel was he on Sky PPV or ITV4?
    There's no doubt Thaxton vs Murray would be a crackerToe to toe slug fest!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think a draw would have been about right. I thought Thaxton, although disadvantaged by the weight, got caught out not showing Glover enough respect.

Two losses going into the Murray fight doesn't look good but it's still a decent match-up. Murray strong favourite now though.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I sat down to watch the fight, soon as I saw Glover i was like..."what the hell is Thaxton doin fightin at welterweight.....

Now, i'm guessin that that was the only date available to get in before a probably late september early october fight with Murray and he needed a tune up and he did say after the fight he just wanted to stay active. Although Glover is no great fighter, i've seen him three times and he's always been underated by the opposition, especially against Siddique.

Gotta say though, that weleterweight fight aside, i think Murray is going to walk Thaxton down and beat him up...... After three to four rounds have passed, thaxton will be real easy to hit and thaxton won't have the power to trouble murray.....

Thread Information