Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: At the risk of boxing blasphemy

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    I've never really seen anybody who's seen a fair amount of him say anything but that he was pretty amazing. Its not a conspiracy. And Andre Ward has not fought better opposition than Nonito Donaire.

I don't think he's on a different planet than Joe though. I've never been a fan of Joe but whether or not he looks smooth, and he obviously is nowhere near as precise as Lopez, his style and physical gifts are a handful for anybody. I think it was Mick, may not have been, who I disagreed with too when he said he was completely on a different level than JMM, I think that's going a bit over the top.
    I've got to be honest, & I'm sure plenty will disagree, but at the moment I rate Lopez & JMM about even, Lopez slightly ahead at the moment. If JMM retires after Floyd fight, win or lose he will have fought at least 4 guys who I think are certs for the hall in Floyd, MAB, Pac & Casamayor & ignoring the PBF fight which Lopez cannot match.

As for Bilbo's argument, it all pretty much went downhill when he started talking about penises & I think killer debunked it all pretty well.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess some things never change huh?

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    I think it was Mick, may not have been, who I disagreed with too when he said he was completely on a different level than JMM, I think that's going a bit over the top.
    It could have, although both have the "Nacho" style stance and way of fighting I think Lopez always carried the 1 punch power to stop someone. While JMM brakes them down systematically.
    I do think Lopez is better technically then JMM.
    Lopez also had better footwork/lateral movement then JMM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The modern boxing fan wants something different from the sport, that Lopez did not deliver.

Now a days unless you are a 23 time world champion at 14 weight divisions you are nothing.

Unless Wlad/Paciquao is being discussed at the end of next year, the fans will be saying Manny is ducking Klitschko...

Lopez was a multi weight champ, and highly respected by the boxing connoisseur, just as winning a title at 112 though to 140 is mighty impressive, boiling down to 108 for seven years without coming close to losing a fight, also has it's merits.

I dread to think what the modern fan would think of a Hagler or Monzon if they fought in this era.
    "Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it."

George Foreman

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great Thread, enjoyed
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bilbo, it was nice of you to raise the issue about Lopez. Every boxer needs to be scrutinized properly.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ricardo Lopez could do everything, every punch he threw was perfectly executed! At his best it made you think if you could fight like anyone it'd be him! He wasn't the fastest guy but he had excellent technique! He had great defense, he could box, he could punch, fight going forward or back, he could do it all

When Roy Jones was the p4p #1 he even said he thought Lopez should be rated 1st!!!

He was a special fighter, I would of loved to have seen him fight Mark 'Too Sharp' Johnson...
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid View Post
    The modern boxing fan wants something different from the sport, that Lopez did not deliver.

Now a days unless you are a 23 time world champion at 14 weight divisions you are nothing.

Unless Wlad/Paciquao is being discussed at the end of next year, the fans will be saying Manny is ducking Klitschko...

Lopez was a multi weight champ, and highly respected by the boxing connoisseur, just as winning a title at 112 though to 140 is mighty impressive, boiling down to 108 for seven years without coming close to losing a fight, also has it's merits.

I dread to think what the modern fan would think of a Hagler or Monzon if they fought in this era.
    It must be because of the easy access to video footage and every fighters record.

The boxrec delver can turn just about any fighters record from great to good to medicore to toilet.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Britkid View Post

It must be because of the easy access to video footage and every fighters record.

The boxrec delver can turn just about any fighters record from great to good to medicore to toilet.
    Yup

Also agree with VD's comment earlier that if you wanna rate a fighter, watch them fight!!

If you look at the names on the resume some of the 'Greats' you can pick big holes, e.g Duran at Lightweight, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano (just a couple of examples) Boxrec is great as a memory recap, but sh1t it telling you how good, bad or great a fighter was!!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Why is Ricardo Lopez rated so highly by fightfans?

I know he retired undefeated but come on he never fought above light flyweight.

If he was THAT good surely he could have at least gone up to super bantamweight or something.

Dominating the minimum weight division shouldn't really be considered a great thing as the level of competition down there is hardly noteworthy, it's like being the best team in the Civil Service football five aside league, doesn't mean a whole lot in the scheme of things.

I admit I know next to nothing about him so am not stating he is overated just asking for people to tell me why he is not.

Did he beat a string of p4p stars I've not heard or something?
    Not sure what you issue with him is. He dominated the competition available to him (not p4p stars) and closed out the weight class. No he didn't go up a bunch of weight classes, but was absolutlely dominant in his 51 wins, that in and of itself is saying enough. You have been quite clear about discounting the lower weight classes for quite some time, so I'm not sure why you are bringing this up.
    great thing what you did with the three legends. it actually looks like arguello has his arm round gatti

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by johnmaff36 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Why is Ricardo Lopez rated so highly by fightfans?

I know he retired undefeated but come on he never fought above light flyweight.

If he was THAT good surely he could have at least gone up to super bantamweight or something.

Dominating the minimum weight division shouldn't really be considered a great thing as the level of competition down there is hardly noteworthy, it's like being the best team in the Civil Service football five aside league, doesn't mean a whole lot in the scheme of things.

I admit I know next to nothing about him so am not stating he is overated just asking for people to tell me why he is not.

Did he beat a string of p4p stars I've not heard or something?
    Not sure what you issue with him is. He dominated the competition available to him (not p4p stars) and closed out the weight class. No he didn't go up a bunch of weight classes, but was absolutlely dominant in his 51 wins, that in and of itself is saying enough. You have been quite clear about discounting the lower weight classes for quite some time, so I'm not sure why you are bringing this up.
    great thing what you did with the three legends. it actually looks like arguello has his arm round gatti
    Thanks man, i was going to try to crop that hand out, but like you said it looks like his arm is around Gatti, so I figured just to leave it.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Thread Information