Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Paul Williams pricing himself out of Pavlik fight

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Well if this fight gets made, Kelly needs to make sure that he gets most of the purse, because he'll probably lose most of it when he gets sued for breach of contract by Sergio.
    I agree, why the heck isn't Pavlik moving forward with that fight? The contract has been made. Pavlik and his people have a lot of nerve talking about people pricing themselves out or ducking when they can't even honor a contract for Pavlik's middleweight title, shouldn't he have been stripped by now?
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the split should be about 2mil for Pavlik and 1.75 for Paul Williams. Unless its gonna be in Ohio, then Pavlik should get a little more because he will bring in a decent following.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Paul Williams will "punish" Pavlik. If he can avoid Pavliks jab and right he's got it pretty much locked up. Pavlik is very 1 dimensional. B-Hop showed that.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LOL, PWill is crazy, he is not a draw, that is a generous split, surprisingly generous.

Hopefully people will come to their senses and it will all get worked out.

No Contest, no matter where it is, but especially since its in Atlantic City, Pavlik will sell the tickets.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williams will definitely get the short end of the purse but if he ever wants to be a draw himself and give himself a profile and negotiating leverage for big purses/fights down the road then this is a fight he should take, crap deal or not. Against a name people know, on HBO, definitely a winnable fight for him. He should just sign the contract. At this moment there are no outstanding options for him out there, Pavlik is probablt the least worst option for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well if this fight gets made, Kelly needs to make sure that he gets most of the purse, because he'll probably lose most of it when he gets sued for breach of contract by Sergio.
    What exactly happened between Kelly and Sergio ? Did Kelly just pull the plug on the contract ?

As for Kelly-PW, Williams finishes were Bernard Hopkins left off and beats him quite easy IMO.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    I agree, why the heck isn't Pavlik moving forward with that fight? The contract has been made. Pavlik and his people have a lot of nerve talking about people pricing themselves out or ducking when they can't even honor a contract for Pavlik's middleweight title, shouldn't he have been stripped by now?
    I don't know what their reason is for not honoring it, but I think it's bull$hit. If he doesn't honor the contract, I'm going to lose a lot of respect for him, which I hate to say, because I've been following his career for a long time, since he's a local guy. Between this, and his stupid a$$ comments about the SMW tournament, he has been turning me off lately. His attitude, and behavior is not becoming of the working class people he says that he represents. Here, your word, or even a handshake means something when you make a deal, and here he is, not even honoring a written contract.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee View Post
    What exactly happened between Kelly and Sergio ? Did Kelly just pull the plug on the contract ?
    Well the contract is still valid actually. They both signed the contract, and in the contract it states that neither of them could take a fight beforehand. Sergio started training, and they were supposed to have the official press conference to announce the fight on the day of the Hatton/Pac fight. But 2 days before that, Pavlik said he wasn't coming, and they resceduled it for the next week. And just before the rescheduled conference could happen, that's when the bout was cancelled because of the bullshit staph infection story.

Sergio was then told that the fight would take place in September. Well nothing was happening, and then all the talk about Pavlik fighting other guys started, and Sergio was like WTF?

So now, Sergio can't take a fight, because then he would be breaching his contract. So he's sitting idle, when he should be fighting. If, and when Pavlik signs to fight someone other than Sergio. Sergio's lawyer is slapping a breach of contract lawsuit on Top Rank, Team Pavlik, and even Tournament of Contenders, because TOC hasn't done $hit to push things along.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like I said in another thread I’m very interested in this fight. Both, KP but especially PW, have such a workrate that they could generate a FOTY.
    So I really don’t care how they split the money, I just wanted happened.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am a Williams fan but him and/or his team needs to realize that Pavlik is the champion and the bigger draw and therefore should get the bigger end of the split. They are offering him $1.5 million of the $3.75 million so I think that is a fair split given that Paul does not have a very big following. There is little chance of any of the big name welters ever fighting him, there are no big names at 154, and Pavlik is the only big name at 160. So, this is literally the only big fight available to Williams for the foreseeable future. He has the frame to go up to 168 but even there all the cash cows are tied up in the tourney. If Paul turns this down he has no where else to go for a big fight/pay day for the foreseeable future. If he takes the fight and wins (which I believe he would) then that puts him a little more in the drivers seat. He needs to take the $1.5 million and not blow this. It will be a huge mistake for his career if he prices himself out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fight would obviously not be signed unless the issue with Sergio was settled. Dan Rafael stated in his chat that he does not believe it will be an issue. I realize you know Sergio and he may be telling you that Pavlik has to fight him and he won't back down but Sergio ain't a lawyer or a negotiator and it sounds to me like he'll end up getting some step aside money whether he wants it that way or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    I think the split should be about 2mil for Pavlik and 1.75 for Paul Williams. Unless its gonna be in Ohio, then Pavlik should get a little more because he will bring in a decent following.
    But Pavlik will bring a decent following in Atlantic City too.

Pavlik will generate the lion's share of the ticket revenue regardless of location.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Williams should take what he's offered, beat Pavlik & by doing so raise his stock, the big fights should certainly open up if he were to defeat the middleweight champion

He's always saying no one wants to fight him, he's got an offer here, take it & win it!

I hope its just positioning at the moment & things get sorted cause it is a really good fight if it can get done!

Sorry Diane but I'm sure Pavlik had an out clause should a bigger fight come along & no offense to Mora but Williams is a bigger fight!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know what their reason is for not honoring it, but I think it's bull$hit. If he doesn't honor the contract, I'm going to lose a lot of respect for him, which I hate to say, because I've been following his career for a long time, since he's a local guy. Between this, and his stupid a$$ comments about the SMW tournament, he has been turning me off lately. His attitude, and behavior is not becoming of the working class people he says that he represents. Here, your word, or even a handshake means something when you make a deal, and here he is, not even honoring a written contract.

Well the contract is still valid actually. They both signed the contract, and in the contract it states that neither of them could take a fight beforehand. Sergio started training, and they were supposed to have the official press conference to announce the fight on the day of the Hatton/Pac fight. But 2 days before that, Pavlik said he wasn't coming, and they resceduled it for the next week. And just before the rescheduled conference could happen, that's when the bout was cancelled because of the bullshit staph infection story.

Sergio was then told that the fight would take place in September. Well nothing was happening, and then all the talk about Pavlik fighting other guys started, and Sergio was like WTF?

So now, Sergio can't take a fight, because then he would be breaching his contract. So he's sitting idle, when he should be fighting. If, and when Pavlik signs to fight someone other than Sergio. Sergio's lawyer is slapping a breach of contract lawsuit on Top Rank, Team Pavlik, and even Tournament of Contenders, because TOC hasn't done $hit to push things along.
    Sergio may be in the right here, but leaving out the contractual issues I'd prefer to see KP fighting someone else. There have been talks of him against Bute or Balszay at 168 or Sturm at 160 ESPN.com's division-by-division rankings - ESPN. I'd prefer any of those options to a fight with Sergio. Nothing against Sergio, but he won't hurt KP and the only way he can win is by making the fight a boring fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

Sergio may be in the right here, but leaving out the contractual issues I'd prefer to see KP fighting someone else. There have been talks of him against Bute or Balszay at 168 or Sturm at 160 ESPN.com's division-by-division rankings - ESPN. I'd prefer any of those options to a fight with Sergio. Nothing against Sergio, but he won't hurt KP and the only way he can win is by making the fight a boring fight.
    The ringtv.com reported today that Pavlik is also negotiating with Winky Wright. Strum has been removed from consideration after announcing that he will not fight again until 2010.

Bob Arum is a Harvard lawyer. If there was a way to wiggle out of the Mora contract, I am sure he could find it. It seems like the Pavlik camp believes that the "injury" voided the contract.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Uppercut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

The ringtv.com reported today that Pavlik is also negotiating with Winky Wright. Strum has been removed from consideration after announcing that he will not fight again until 2010.

Bob Arum is a Harvard lawyer. If there was a way to wiggle out of the Mora contract, I am sure he could find it. It seems like the Pavlik camp believes that the "injury" voided the contract.
    The thing is, the so called "injury" was bull$hit, Kelly came out and admitted it himself when the fight was cancelled. Kelly had begun training as well, and said the that staph infection had been cleared up long ago. He and his team were just as confused when it was cancelled.

It got cancelled because Pavlik and Top Rank weren't coming to terms with his new contract yet. So I don't know if a fake injury can void a contract.

According to Sergio's lawyers, he has an airtight case, because if he didn't, Sergio wouldn't be standing his ground, and would be looking for another fight. And if this fight was so easy to get out of, it would of happened by now, but this has been going on for 2 1/2 months now.

Sure they can offer step aside money, but Sergio has to accept it, which I doubt he will. It would have to be a $hit load of money, because he has wasted a lot of time, and he could have gotten a fight in, therefore, he's already missed out on one paycheck.

I know a lot of you guys would rather see Pavlik fight someone else, and I know that there are bigger fights out there, but Pavlik agreed to the fight, he signed the contract, and if he was an honorable man, he would keep his word and fight him.

Seriously, how would have Pavlik felt if Taylor would have pulled this bull$hit on him for their first fight. You finally get the fight that you've been wanting, you get a signed contract, then all of the sudden the other guy screws you over for no legitimate reason. It's not right. Whether it's the best fight out there or not, it shouldn't matter, you honor a contract.

Thread Information