Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How would Chuck Lidell have done as a Boxer

I gotta tell you.I must be missing something and maybe I'm guilty of not being fully versed on Chuck.From what Ive seen he has a great punch (?) a solid chin (?) and a bit of a beer gut.Preferes stand up as opposed to ground(?).And he's old.Uses hands much more than legs?Isn't he on the 'downslide' at his respected MMA career?

I just dont see him ammounting to much in the sport but would like most hitters,stand a punchers chance against anyone.But he does not have the mentality of a 'boxer',and the ring is littered with come forward guys banking on impossing they're will and knocking heads willing to take a punch.I think he gets battered at a decent level....He'd have to learn his legs all over,bending,positioning,let alone catching up and cutting off a guy who has been trained for years doing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he could have done very well as a boxer, if he was only training his boxing skills he would be alot better than what he is. If Enzo Mac could win a world title at cruiser would it really be that unrealistic that Chuck could as well...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Liddell's punches were too open and any decent boxer with good speed would badly beat him up, i'd say anyone from Lightheavy up would stop him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I think he could have done very well as a boxer, if he was only training his boxing skills he would be alot better than what he is. If Enzo Mac could win a world title at cruiser would it really be that unrealistic that Chuck could as well...
    Why? Because they are both white?

I think Chuck's style would be different in boxing. The gloves in UFC are small, difficult to block with, and light. Chuck actually throws pretty straight punches until he corners someone (how can you corner in an octagon?)

He did not have a beer belly. He's just built like a barrel. He is weighing in at 205... I'm pretty sure he doesn't walk around at 190 and drink a bunch of beer to fight UFC-LHW.
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He would get destroyed. He relied too much on his iron jaw to keep him in fights. He was no boxer, just a counter puncher with a lot of power. He wouldn't crack the top 100. COMPLETELY different sports, guys.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFolds View Post

I think Chuck's style would be different in boxing. The gloves in UFC are small, difficult to block with, and light. Chuck actually throws pretty straight punches until he corners someone (how can you corner in an octagon?)

He did not have a beer belly. He's just built like a barrel. He is weighing in at 205... I'm pretty sure he doesn't walk around at 190 and drink a bunch of beer to fight UFC-LHW.

I think he meant because in many eyes Big Enzo was complete shite. I don't really think that & suspect he would have got KO'd by any decent boxer from domestic champ level up, even Enzo. Haye would have annihalated him in a round at either CW or HW. He's probably got a decent chin, but its very rarely been tested by punchers of the same class you get in boxing.

El Kabong Guest

First off, this isn't a stupid question, I routinely ask myself how guys in the MMA would do as boxers and if someone has the drive, desire, and dedication to learn and utilize other martial arts then I am sure they would have SOME success in boxing. However, I do think far too many MMA fighters don't know proper punching technique.

JohnyFolds, I mean no disrespect to Chuck Lidell, but in all honesty as a BOXER if you look at his fights in MMA, just the "striking" he did, he was technically unsound. Sure he acheived great results, he was a GREAT MMA fighter and his ability to land MEANINGFUL PUNCHES in MMA was very good (and fighters are getting better at not throwing punches like little girls these days) I just see when he threw punches he was technically unsound to the extent where a guy who knows even a little about boxing could see where he would leave himself open to counters.

Chuck vs Rampage in the UFC was not AGE it was SKILL...Chuck lazily pushed a jab out and dropped it by his waist MULTIPLE TIMES and the answer to that as the opposing fighter is RIGHT CROSS...that is Boxing 101, very simple easy mistake and he got KO'd on account of it.

Now had he trained as a boxer all his life and been taught how to box and absorbed all the boxing knowledge he could handle and he could make it happen in the ring, then I see no reason why he couldn't have been a contender. But just based on his MMA I don't think he'd do any better than say an Andrei Arlovski.

In boxing a lot of guys can BOX and a lot of guys can PUNCH...it's the cream of the crop that can do both or that can master pure boxing or pure punching....your average MMA fighter can't punch and won't be able to grasp how to box without lots and lots of training, that's how the best boxers become the best boxers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    I was just thinking about this after reading Al Bernstein's article this week. Chuck is obviously one of the most devastating standup/punchers in MMA history, so how would he have done as say a Crusierweight against the likes of Haye, Mormeck etc?
    if it was chuck liddell in his mma prime switching to boxing i dont think he would of fared that great, but if chuck liddell started off as a straight up boxer i have no doubts that with his obvious natural talent he could of been a good champion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFolds View Post

pretty quick to jump with the race shit there
    my point was Enzo's pretty crap and he managed to win a world title, if Chuck had been trained all along in just boxing he'd be alot better boxer than he is in the UFC, also Cruiser is not the best of divisions so he'd have had a good chance at wining a title imo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Lyle says it best. I think the first decent boxer doesn't even have to be elite would beat Chuck soundly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    He would of got his ass kicked badly
    I totally agree, I think Manny would knock the guy out. Yes I said Manny Pacquiao
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would like to see a ufc/boxing event where ufc people try boxing and boxers try ufc. It would end up with ufc guys getting knocked out and boxers tapping out left and right. Thats kind of what the old ufc was like people had different styles, now they all have striking and take downs and holds etc...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wouldn't all be tap outs. The use of elbows, knees and kicks changes things in the stand up game.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post
    I would like to see a ufc/boxing event where ufc people try boxing and boxers try ufc. It would end up with ufc guys getting knocked out and boxers tapping out left and right. Thats kind of what the old ufc was like people had different styles, now they all have striking and take downs and holds etc...
    k1 did something similar with Jerome Le Banner V Bobb Sapp. First round was kickboxing and second was MMA. Le Banner was asked to carry him in my opinion and could easily have taken Sapp out at any time.

Thread Information