Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How would Chuck Lidell have done as a Boxer

I was just thinking about this after reading Al Bernstein's article this week. Chuck is obviously one of the most devastating standup/punchers in MMA history, so how would he have done as say a Crusierweight against the likes of Haye, Mormeck etc?
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How would Chuck Lidell have done as a Boxer

Chuck liddell is a UFC legend. Personnaly i see him being able to beat a few contenders but ultimatly being outboxed by the elites he would never make it to world class level. But my heart says he could have maybe gone far lol, i dont know chuck 'the ice man' Liddell will always be my fav MMA fighter!
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On second thought lol, i think he would KO haye and big mac because of there weak chins. Chuck has an amazing chin especialy in his prime when he fought the likes of vito belfort and tito ortiz he probably would just walk through there punches and land his bombs!
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

El Kabong Guest

Well once he ran across someone who knew how to BOX he'd get seriously fucked up. What Rampage Jackson did to him was what any boxer would do...Lidell pushed his jab out there, dropped it down instead of bringing it back to a defensive position and Rampage just lobbed a right cross over the top of it and it knocked him out....peice of cake, anyone who watched the fight could tell what he was doing wasn't sound BOXING.

Now had Chuck been taught BOXING specifically, I think he could have done ok, it depends on how well he took to learning the subtleties of boxing, pushing the jab and then dropping it to your waist is a Day 1 NO NO....but there are plenty of boxers who still do it, some use it to bait fighters to throw a power punch so they can counter them (James Toney, Floyd Mayweather Jr., Roy Jones Jr., etc) and others, like Andy Lee just never seem to learn that it's not illegal to block a punch with something other than your face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chuck could have been a cruiser champ for sure. I think he would have at least tried to go fro heavyweight being that close to their weight. 205lbs is LHW in UFC and he is cutting weight to get there.

Chuck has strong legs (had) and a great chin. He was not just a war machine. He took some big shots, but he had guile in the ring. If he started boxing when he started MMA he would have been just as good. He's a true athlete and freak of nature.

Gotta remember he is 39 now and he's been rattled too many times. So I wouldn't hold it against him for losing to Rampage recently. Granted he couldn't beat him in pride either...

He is my fav MMA, too, Lyle, Matt.
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He would of got his ass kicked badly

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive always watched Liddell thinking a top cruiserweight would slaughter him.

Haye would have him spark uncouncoius in one round in a boxing match.

Can you imagine the damage a puncher like Haye (or any big punching boxer) would do with those little gloves. Frightening.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chuck's an elite MMA fighter.

He can get seriously schooled and hurt against the boxing's elites in his division. Having said that, it is tit for tat, he too, will school a lot of boxers in the same division, should they decide to try their hand out in the MMA.

Fish out of water, should'n't be toyed around, for it is only good for the frying pan! Yummm!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have you ever seen one of those Styrofoam cups after it is taken down in a submarine ?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love Chuck and had he been trained all along as a boxer he would have had moderate success simply b/c he has a great beard and tremendous KO power. Those two combined with great timing and counter punching can go along way. All that aside Chuck either didn't want to evolve or simply couldn't. MMA striking became more technical and people figured out his odd angles and counter punching. I think Chuck as a boxer would have fallen in love with his knockout power just like he did in MMA and would never be a technical enough fighter to be considered an elite or championship fighter. There was a period of time where Chuck was as talented as any body in MMA but the sport and father time passed him by.
    Last edited by VictorCharlie; 08-06-2009 at 12:59 PM.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now if the question is how would he do now or anytime w/o significant training as a boxer? Then yes he'd get destroyed. There is a very small group of boxers or mixed martial artists that could switch sports and have any semblance of success.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He may become an contender if he dedicated himself to the sport in the beginning other than that I don't see him becoming an champion like say an Holyfield.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was able to become an elite fighter in his particular sport, I see not reason why he would not have been able to do the same in boxing if he dedicated himself to boxing as he did with MMA.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Had Chuck been a boxer he would have merely had to concentrate on his hands. He certainly would have been a more calculating striker due to that focus and the experience he would amass rising through the ranks.

However, as a Cruiserweight in boxing he would have been undersized.
    Additionally he doesn't have the best body for movement so he would have been exploited by many fighters, bigger/quicker/more skillfull.

However, in boxing he would have been marketed carefully and made a truckload more money"!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

stupid question

why the hell would he continue fighting in the MMA if he could earn potential multi millions by being a succesful boxer.

America may love UFC/MMA/WWF but the rest of the world is years away from catching on!!!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Thread Information