Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: When is the next boxing on tv in the UK?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default When is the next boxing on tv in the UK?

Seems like ages since the last time a fight was on uk tv.

I miss Setanta
    Balls

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: When is the next boxing on tv in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Seems like ages since the last time a fight was on uk tv.

I miss Setanta
    September 4th Simpson/Truscott
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Re: When is the next boxing on tv in the UK?

I just subscribed to ESPN UK (£9 a month). The only problem I see is that Setanta were a free agent and not tied to any Channel. Consequently they were free to buy any fight card from any US network they wanted. That made for some great boxing for UK viewers..

ESPN on the other hand just seem to be showing Friday Night Fights which have been free on channel 5 late sunday evening anyway. This means that while football fans must be delighted that they can now watch the same games for £3 less each month boxing fans are left with a big Setanta sized hole in their weekly boxing fix..

Sky are the worst offenders though. The reason I got Sky in the first place was their boxing output was so strong. Now look at Sky's boxing schedule! Its full of second rate UK shows and the occasional entertaining but ultimately tacky Prizefighter show. They very rarely put on any big US shows any more. When they do put on a big show these days it is a £15 PPV featuring Hatton or the overrated (and totally underserving of PPV) Amir bloody Khan...

Yep, I miss Setanta too.... Got an awful feeling that their demise, along with ITV bowing out as well in a few months, will be the beginning of the end for top class boxing on UK TV... real shame...
    Last edited by Fatsandman; 08-15-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ESPN showed Vivienne Harris fight today which is not that bad.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    No, I agree. At least ESPN showed the whole fight card of the Harris fight (which we don't get to see on Channel 5) but they won't be showing any major Showtime or HBO fights. Setanta showed loads of those two broadcasters bills. Thats where Sky should step up. Remember SKY built up their early subscription base because they showed all of Tyson's fights from 1988 onwards..

Sky know there is a massive interest in boxing but they now choose to show cheap obscure sports and leave boxing to their £15 Pay-Per-View option..

But I agree that at least we have ESPN which is something even if it does mean having to endure Teddy Atlas's ridiculous commentaries.

A few months ago I heard the weirdest Atlas commentary. It went something like "He has just hit him with a ton of real estate. But in this case it is not actual real estate he is hitting him with.. its punches" Bizarre!!
    Last edited by Fatsandman; 08-15-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fatsandman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    No, I agree. At least ESPN showed the whole fight card of the Harris fight (which we don't get to see on Channel 5) but they won't be showing any major Showtime or HBO fights. Setanta showed loads of those two broadcasters bills. Thats where Sky should step up. Remember SKY built up their early subscription base because they showed all of Tyson's fights from 1988 onwards..

Sky know there is a massive interest in boxing but they now choose to show cheap obscure sports and leave boxing to their £15 Pay-Per-View option..

But I agree that at least we have ESPN which is something even if it does mean having to endure Teddy Atlas's ridiculous commentaries.

A few months ago I heard the weirdest Atlas commentary. It went something like "He has just hit him with a ton of real estate. But in this case it is not actual real estate he is hitting him with.. its punches" Bizarre!!
    Well they showed Witter - Alexander, was that not on Showtime?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's hoping they will show Jones Jnr v Lacy.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information