Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Shouldn't Dawson just run the old guys out!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Shouldn't Dawson just run the old guys out!!!

I mean he's basically the young gun in the division. Shouldnt he just beat johnson, jones and hopkins and send them all into retirement?

But I guess the question is, If he could he would...
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shouldn't Dawson just run the old guys out!!!

Well Hopkins announced on Friday Night Fights that he was fighting the winner of the Dawson Johnson rematch to be held later this year.

Whether he had informed Dawson of this plan prior to the announcement was unclear however, it sounded more like a a decree passed from on high.

But I guess it's at least 50/50, in which case Dawson's next two fights are Johnson 2 and Hopkins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know if Dawson can just run these particular old fighters out. Glen Johnson and BHop are still elite. I'd like to see it but these aging guys aren't aging. I think BHop and Jones should fight and the winner fight the winner of the Johnson/Dawson. With Jones display against Lacy I think he can be put in that mini tournament.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by blegit View Post
    I don't know if Dawson can just run these particular old fighters out. Glen Johnson and BHop are still elite. I'd like to see it but these aging guys aren't aging. I think BHop and Jones should fight and the winner fight the winner of the Johnson/Dawson. With Jones display against Lacy I think he can be put in that mini tournament.
    I think Jones-Hopkins should just stay as it is. As a fight that happened a long time ago but when both men were close to their best (certainly a lot closer than they are now) and Jones won relatively easily with one hand. If they fought now I think Hopkins wins comfortably but he has aged better than Jones due to the fact Jones has always relied on his freak athleticism and speed whereas Hopkins is a great boxer with great fundamentals.

To me boxers should be judged against each other prime for prime and though many didn't realise at the time that these were future ATG's(I think it was actually the undercard to Riddick Bowe - Jesse Ferguson) Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins fought very close to their primes, Hopkins was 28 and didn't lose again for 12 years and Roy Jones one year later totally schooled many people's p4p #1 at the time in James Toney.

I think Dawson may have a few problems with Johnson yet though but I think he takes a close one again but as far as Hopkins goes, you never know when the fight is going to come that he does age all of a sudden (and it will), but if he is in the same form as he was against Pavlik then I would go with a quite comfortable B-Hop win!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Glen Johnson gets by Dawson and dosent age overnight I see his workrate and agression being to much for Bhop. I know he TKO'D Johnson a decade ago but Glen has stepped up his game 10 fold

Also I have no idea where this Leaves Roy since no doubt his domination of Lacy puts him back in big fight discussions again. I definetly think he beats Green. Whats next for Roy after that?
    Last edited by JT Rock; 08-16-2009 at 10:51 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock View Post
    If Glen Johnson gets by Dawson and dosent age overnight I see his workrate and agression being to much for Bhop. I know he TKO'D Johnson a decade ago but Glen has stepped up his game 10 fold

Also I have no idea where this Leaves Roy since no doubt his domination of Lacy puts him back in big fight discussions again. I definetly think he beats Green. Whats next for Roy after that?
    I wish it was retirement on a high!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock View Post

Johnson is too slow on his feet to bother Hopkins.

Hopkins would win a clear decision.

Hopkins beats Dawson also, although Dawson is a much harder matchup for him stylistically. Dawson doesn't have the in ring intelligence to beat Hopkins though, he always loses focus inbetween his fights and against Hopkins that would be a huge mistake.

I don't like Dawson's chin either and there is no doubt that bhop still has some pop in his shots, proven when he was able to rock the good chinned Pavlik and put down the very good chinned Calzaghe.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IMO Hopkins beats, Dawson, Jones, Johnson, and even Calzaghe if he decides to come back, or he can move up to Cruiser where i think he'd beat Adamek as well

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sh*t! I don't want to be the one to bring Pacquiao into a thread where he isn't mentioned but I just feel he is too good an example to use.

A lot of haters discredit Pac's wins over Barrera, Morales, and De La Hoya cause they were "shot" and "over the hill." I feel those who want to nit-pick records would do the same to Dawson. Anyone can say Johnson, Hopkins, and Jones were "too old" and "past their primes" to discredit Dawson's potential wins over them.

Again, I'm sorry and I needed to mention him to make my point.

BTW, I think Dawson beats Johnson and Jones but unless Hopkins loses it overnight, Bernard beat's Chad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He`ll beat jones simply because he`ll be able to fight fire with fire in terms of speed and the 15+ years of extra juice should be enough.

He beats everyone in the division other than bhop. bernards too wily and defense minded to let dawson fight his own fight. He would beat chad up as bad if not worse than what he did to dawson. Other than a calzaghe comeback theres no guy that can even touch hopkins right now!!
    one dangerous horrible bloke

El Kabong Guest

I think he's only taking on the older guys so that he avoids the REAL danger, TAVORIS CLOUD.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I think he's only taking on the older guys so that he avoids the REAL danger, TAVORIS CLOUD.
    Cloud needs to stay active to get in the mix, a fight against Woods is a good first step, but let's see how long it takes him to fight again after that.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I actually think Dawson has taken a step back.His momentum has stagnated with waist of time rematch vs Tarver.Johnson merits a rematch and this one should be Dawsons sole 100 % focus.I don't see either one beating grey beard Hopkins right now,sounds like we will find out very soon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

dont tihnk he has what it takes to retire hopkins....he struggled with tarver

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Simple answer this one i say. YES, if he's good enough yes he certainly should, but you know what, IMO he isn't good enough. In any other division, a B-Hop would have been sent packing by a more youthful and hungry fighter by now. Strange i guess.....

Thread Information