Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roy Jones against the world

I would love to see Jones take on Tarver and just beat him like a rented mule......

I think Jones could beat tarver easy at this point and I would love to see jones beat the milk dud headed big mouth into submission.....

Note - I hate tarver.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by paddy448 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Let's just be clear on this also. We are not saying Jones no longer has the skills, or even that he doesn't have great handspeed. He is still capable of flashy combinations and has good reflexes, and his boxing skill even now is still leaps above most other fighters.

So he can look great against a punching bag which is what Lacy and Sheika were.

What he no longer has is the punch resistance, the legs, the tank to last 12 hard rounds, and probably the will to risk it all to win.

If those characteristics and attributes will not get tested against the likes of Lacy so Jones looks great, against a top fighter though they are tested and he'll be clearly found wanting.

Hopkins and Winky are both lacking themselves in those attributes now and so will fight a slow paced boxing match, skill versus skill, so they represent winnable fights for Roy.

But his physical weaknesses will be ruthlessly exposed at the top level against younger, hungrier fighters.
    dawson has a better chance of beating jones than pavlik does yes, what u say is for a different conversation, jones against pavlik tho, i think pavlik gets destroyed, im not disagreeing with everthing u say but simply put pavlik gets schooled by jones, thats my argument bilbo mate

Jones couldn't destroy Pavlik, he couldn't destroy Anthony Hanshaw or Badi Ajamu he's certainly not destroying the middleweight champ.

Also even Tarver, if Jones was to fight Tarver for the fourth time my money is on Tarver. He's not at the level of Dawson clearly, with two losses but he was at least competitive with him, especially in the second fight and he beat a solid world champ in Clinton Woods.

Jones has done nothing in several years. Beating Omar Sheika and Jeff Lacy don't mean a thing. Peter Manfredo nearly beat Jeff Lacy, Otis Griffin DID beat Jeff Lacy but was robbed, Griffin was beaten up by Jesse Brinkley let's not forget and has lost 6 of his last 7, yet clearly was better than Jeff Lacy.

As I've said already this weekend I'm not sure Jones even gets past Danny Green. If Green lands on him he could be sparked cold for the third time in his career, certainly Green is the biggest puncher he's faced since Glen Johnson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the Green fight could be a danger for him if he tries to piss about and talk to the people in the front row and doesn't take him serious. This is the big one for Danny, despite the age of Jones it will still look good for Green should he beat him. Don't be sticking out your tongue Roy, you might end up spitting it on the floor.

Any of the Aussie boys on here up for the trip to Sydney for this one(if that's where it's held), I'm not far away so it's pretty easy for me to come down from the coast.Could be a good excuse for a Saddo convention ......probably with about 2 people !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Peter manfredo got outworked and everything else by lacy. How the hell do you call that close? And bernard hopkins not having speed? He had more speed than what calzaghe had. The only thing bernard lacks is consistant aggression.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Roy Jones Jr Hang up his gloves today....he would be noted for holding the WBC, WBA, IBF, IBO, NABF, WBF, and IBA light heavyweight championships at the same time. "Fighter of the Decade" Hands down.. age has caught up and therefore its useless for us to judge him against young bucks who haven't captured any glory.. even Tyson was once unstoppable so was Ali and the quick fighters like Ray....all in all Roy's career is quite impressive and I will not take that from him...yes let us let the younger fighters get some exposure too.. the problem is "Money became a bigger issue" and respect started to fade...
    I wonder....why..

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can easily envision Roy angling toward a Bhop rematch - it's a good fight for both men, since the list of practical opposition for both is growing slim. Plus it would be a more marketable fight than some of their other options. I'd buy it

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bcollins View Post
    I can easily envision Roy angling toward a Bhop rematch - it's a good fight for both men, since the list of practical opposition for both is growing slim. Plus it would be a more marketable fight than some of their other options. I'd buy it
    yea id agree with you on that. would be good for both, would generate interest, and i think it would be pretty marketable.
    i see BHop winning it.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Thread Information